270soft Forum
georgebarnard

Playable on Chromebook?

The fact is linux is the Operating system of the future. Windows and Mac are all corporate. Linux and the GPL are for libertarians and anarchists (like yours truly) the wonderful quality open source projects on linux easily demonstrate that there's no need for expensive corporate software.

4 minutes ago, NewAnarchist said:

The fact is linux is the Operating system of the future. Windows and Mac are all corporate. Linux and the GPL are for libertarians and anarchists (like yours truly) the wonderful quality open source projects on linux easily demonstrate that there's no need for expensive corporate software.

Libertarianism, Neo-Anarchism, true Communism (as Marx intended, not what was seen during the Cold War), Pantisocracy, and other such forms of government have one tragic, fatal flaw that would kill any real attempt to sincerely institute any of them - the barrier of human nature...

Just now, Patine said:

Libertarianism, Neo-Anarchism, true Communism (as Marx intended, not what was seen during the Cold War), Pantisocracy, and other such forms of government have one tragic, fatal flaw that would kill any real attempt to sincerely institute any of them - the barrier of human nature...

His point that products don't neccessarily need overlords with complete control still stands.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

His point that products don't neccessarily need overlords with complete control still stands.

My point is that, like it or not, no matter how deep in denial you may be of the idea, the responsible, self-reliant, independent-thinking, non-needlessly-belligerent individuals that such social ideals require to function, including his Internet points of view, are a small minority of the human species, and of ANY nation's population. It's a sad fact that the majority of people NEED and REQUIRE "babysitting" and "monitoring" by higher authorities to make any society work at all...

Just now, Patine said:

My point is that, like it or not, no matter how deep in denial you may be of the idea, the responsible, self-reliant, independent-thinking, non-needlessly-belligerent individuals that such social ideals require to function, including his Internet points of view, are a small minority of the human species, and of ANY nation's population. It's a sad fact that the majority of people NEED and REQUIRE "babysitting" and "monitoring" by higher authorities to make any society work at all...

True. But it does work well for us programmers and hobbyists who make software and feel at home in the terminal (or powershell on windows,powershell not cmd,cmd is a relic of ms-dos and is really underpowered and batch is so limited as to be useless for all but the most basic tasks).

Just now, NYrepublican said:

True. But it does work well for us programmers and hobbyists who make software and feel at home in the terminal (or powershell on windows,powershell not cmd,cmd is a relic of ms-dos and is really underpowered and batch is so limited as to be useless for all but the most basic tasks).

However, he hinted and implied in his "way of the future" statement that Linux and OS' like it should replace and abolish corporate OS', or ones with similar formats entirely, and, as much as I hate to say it, THAT is not realistic.

Just now, Patine said:

However, he hinted and implied in his "way of the future" statement that Linux and OS' like it should replace and abolish corporate OS', or ones with similar formats entirely, and, as much as I hate to say it, THAT is not realistic.

It isn't wholly insane considering that Android base system is open source (more details here:https://source.android.com/)

It isn't wholly insane considering that Android base system is open source (more details here:https://source.android.com/)

Android has gotten several notable points of flack and criticism since it's first release. Points that differ significantly, especially regarding the issue I'm addressing, than the usual gripes and bellyaching that Microsoft and Apple get.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Android has gotten several notable points of flack and criticism since it's first release. Points that differ significantly, especially regarding the issue I'm addressing, than the usual gripes and bellyaching that Microsoft and Apple get.

Also one HUGE gripe about Apple. I can't develop for IOS without a Mac,XCode and a $200 yearly developers license without jailbreaking the IPhone (A major motive of mine in my sticking to Android)

Also one HUGE gripe about Apple. I can't develop for IOS without a Mac,XCode and a $200 yearly developers license without jailbreaking the IPhone (A major motive of mine in my sticking to Android)

Yes, but for 97% of people on the Internet, that's not a huge, deal-breaking issue. But maybe you're unaware of that fact.

Just now, Patine said:

Yes, but for 97% of people on the Internet, that's not a huge, deal-breaking issue. But maybe you're unaware of that fact.

Yes IK but this is just me.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

Much of that is related to things apart from the main system (like provider locking and bloatware) The Android system in and of itself isn't the problem and there's even a PC port if you want to use Android on the desktop.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

Much of that is related to things apart from the main system (like provider locking and bloatware) The Android system in and of itself isn't the problem and there's even a PC port if you want to use Android on the desktop.

I think the laws of the nation one lives in are very relevant too. As an extreme example, computers and cellphones in North Korea do not connect to the Internet or the World Wide Web AT ALL, they only connect to a highly monitored and regulated Intranet of sites within North Korea alone. Other nations scale down in regulation, monitoring, and control from there.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I think the laws of the nation one lives in are very relevant too. As an extreme example, computers and cellphones in North Korea do not connect to the Internet or the World Wide Web AT ALL, they only connect to a highly monitored and regulated Intranet of sites within North Korea alone. Other nations scale down in regulation, monitoring, and control from there.

Agreed.

3 hours ago, Patine said:

You can download North Korea's official OS (which is linux-based though their violating the GPL by not releasing the source code).

6 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

You can download North Korea's official OS (which is linux-based though their violating the GPL by not releasing the source code).

I don't think it's very useful to you or I, except as a novelty...

So any chance of a linux port soon @admin_270? If not, I'd like to know what's preventing it.

No plans for a Linux port anytime soon. No tools for straightforward cross-platform UI support in Linux, given the technology framework of the games.

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

No plans for a Linux port anytime soon. No tools for straightforward cross-platform UI support in Linux, given the technology framework of the games.

What tool do you use for UI?

I'm curious if I can install the dependencies on Linux using WINE.

I don't know if it works on Linux with WINE. I recommend trying it or asking if someone else has done so. WINE is not officially supported.

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I don't know if it works on Linux with WINE. I recommend trying it or asking if someone else has done so. WINE is not officially supported.

Well the App by itself doesn't I do know it has some .net and modern windows only file calls. (as I found out trying to install it on a windows 98 VM)

What are the hardware requirements for the app? (I want to know if a 1.5 GHZ and 4 GB of RAM VM will do) (that's roughly half my computing power the max I tend to give to VM's)

Don't know how the game performs on various VMs, because I haven't tested it - your best bet is to try it out on whatever combination you are thinking of.

On a regular Windows machine, requirements are minimal - I would recommend > 1 Ghz, 4 GB RAM.

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Don't know how the game performs on various VMs, because I haven't tested it - your best bet is to try it out on whatever combination you are thinking of.

On a regular Windows machine, requirements are minimal - I would recommend > 1 Ghz, 4 GB RAM.

Thank you.