270soft Forum
ThePotatoWalrus

Your Senators?

What do you guys think of your Senators? My Senators are Sherrod Brown (D), and Rob Portman (R). 

Sherrod Brown: He's a Democrat, and I'm a Republican. I barely know his stances, so I can't have anything against him. I kinda like the guy, even if he is a bit liberal in general. He's not too bad, but I wouldn't vote for him again.

Rob Portman: The dude's reliable. He's the junior Senator, and he's been pushing for more bills than Sherrod. He also has a normal, short name, which sounds friendly, but he's just a likable guy in general. He is a bit moderate though.

Oh boy, here we go,

I got these clowns

Barbara Mikulski: She's a very liberal senator with a particularly pro-choice record, she's got the gayism game on lock, likes to choke out business and is particularly fond of shortchanging national Security, one redeeming quality, she's retiring and we are going to replace her with my boss Kathy Szeliga!

Ben Cardin: Basically a carbon copy of Mikulski without the spine to be as Liberal as her, He's certainly not going to be raising Hell anytime soon, maybe just funds.

42 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Rob Portman: The dude's reliable. He's the junior Senator, and he's been pushing for more bills than Sherrod. He also has a normal, short name, which sounds friendly, but he's just a likable guy in general. He is a bit moderate though.

I'm a big fan of Portman. He's well-liked, especially on the international stage.

Portman is analogous to Gavin Newsom with the Democrats—centrist, but doesn't lack values.

8 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Barbara Mikulski: She's a very liberal senator with a particularly pro-choice record, she's got the gayism game on lock, likes to choke out business and is particularly fond of shortchanging national Security, one redeeming quality, she's retiring and we are going to replace her with my boss Kathy Szeliga!

I thought that posting trash was banned from this forum. I posit that I was wrong.

Ted Cruz (R) and John Cornyn (R)

I guess they are doing an alright job for Texas, and I applaud Ted Cruz for standing up for his values and not endorsing Trump.

24 minutes ago, Zach said:

I thought that posting trash was banned from this forum. I posit that I was wrong.

Its just my opinion on my Senator sorry if I offended any fellow Marylanders.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Its just my opinion on my Senator sorry if I offended any fellow Marylanders.

I completely agree with you. I was saying that Mikulski is trash, not your post. 

Just now, Zach said:

I completely agree with you. I was saying that Mikulski is trash, not your post. 

Oh thanks I'm glad you feel for me and my Felloe Maryland GOPers

I have six Senators, only one of which I actually got to vote for out of a very politically-slanted and manipulated pool, and they're all in the CANADIAN Senate... :P

Rand Paul: He is a great Senator. I started out for him when he ran for President.  I volunteered with his campaign a couple weekends ago.  He is Tea Party and has made headlines with his filibusters. He is very popular in Kentucky.

Mitch McConnell: The Senate majority leader. He is right in the middle of the establishment. He is not very popular but is still voted in because of his leadship position as well as Kentucky's hatred of Obama.

Here are my senators in CT. 

Richard Blumenthal: "Dick", as some like to call him, is the former Democratic Attorney General of CT.  As AG, he was pretty good....I actually liked him.  However, I now see him for what he is, just another political opportunist.  We need to get him out this election!

Chris Murphy: Yet another Connecticut Democrat (all our major federal officials are, as well as most state officials....it sucks).  I would say something here about how inept he is, but....don't get me started, LOL.  :-/

3 hours ago, arjavrawal said:

If Reagan04 or whatever thinks he has clowns, just wait....I have to deal with Boxer and DiFi

You want the closeted lesbian and discount Joe Biden? You can have 'em I'll try Boxer over Mikulski any day.

I don't think calling politicians "closet lesbians" is any more acceptable than certain things you, PotatoWalrus, and JohnnyK have jumped to the conclusion and accused me of calling Donald Trump (even though in my case I was making a very general historical analog, not a direct statement of implication, which IS what you just did).

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't think calling politicians "closet lesbians" is any more acceptable than certain things you, PotatoWalrus, and JohnnyK have jumped to the conclusion and accused me of calling Donald Trump (even though in my case I was making a very general historical analog, not a direct statement of implication, which IS what you just did).

I never accused you of anything. The way I see it, we're pretty cool. Sure, we have our differences, but I'm sure we'll get along.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Actually, I really don't care what you call Mr.Drumpf, 1st Amendment in action. I hate him as much as you.

Lindsay Graham: I respect him, the man shows willingness to work both parties to tackle issues plaguing the State of South Carolina, such as Climate Change and immigration reform. Now, I do not agree with him 100%, but the man embodies the best of my state. 

Tim Scott: The junior Senator, and has a tough job getting his name out- Trey Gowdy, Nikki Haley, and Graham get all the media attention in the state. But I live in the district he used to serve as Congressman. But Scott is much more conservative than Graham, and has advocated for many policies that I disagree with: his views on immigration, taxes, unions, social issues. But despite my opposition towards many of his views, Scott did secure funding for the expansion of the Port of Charleston, and is strongly against offshore drilling, and I have to give him his credit. 

@lok1999 Are Liberal and National Party candidates even still marked as separate parties on the Australian ballots and parliamentary roll calls anymore, or just as a permanent "coalition" label of some sort?

Mel Hurtig, the founder of the National Party of Canada (which ran one election in 1993, got no seats, and then never ran again) died recently in my home city. In comparison, the Liberal Party of Canada is the oldest extant federal party in the country, having existed without interruption since Confederation in 1867, held government federally more often than any other party, and only three official, stated, and registered (as opposed to unofficial or interim) Liberal leaders federally didn't actually end up becoming PM in their career - Edward Blake back in the 1800's, and Stephan Dion and Michael Ignatieff during the Harper Governments.

In the Federal Council (a Senate equivalent) here we have many ''senators'' representing my home state Vienna. However, this Federal Council is not very well known here although it's de facto the upper house.The lower house ''National Council'' is the really important one here. A bit similar to the House of Commons, because this one is also the lower house, but way more important I think. But the National Council is completely different elected than the House of Commons...

Canadian Senators (unlike American or Australian ones) are constitutionally appointed, though my home Province of Alberta declared in the late 1980's it would have a province-wide election for a candidate to "recommend" for federal appointment when a vacancy opened (Canadian Senators serve until death, retirement, impeachment, or a maximum age of 75, similar to US Supreme Court judges, actually), but thus far, only two of the five elected as "recommendations" were actually appointed (the three elected during Chretien's tenure as PM were ignored), and the first one who was appointed died in office not long after. However, as the Alberta Liberal Party and the Alberta NDP refused to put up candidates to protest method used to manage the elections, only the Alberta Progressive Conservative Party, the Alberta Alliance (in the Chretien-era ones), and it's successor the Wildrose Alliance (in the last one), the Alberta Party (also in the last one), and the Social Credit Party (in most of them), and a few right-of-centre "Non-Partisans" in each, these election results were very skewed to the right of the spectrum. I'm not sure if such an election will be help if a vacancy occurs during Premier Rachel Notley's current NDP government in Alberta, given the NDP's stance (both federally and in all of it's provincial affiliates) of abolishing the Senate outright without any reform or democratization considerations.