270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

House of Representatives of the Royal Hawai'ian Legislature 1840

A scenario for the first elected legislature (at least the House of Representatives - there was no Senate back then, only a House of Nobles made up of traditional chiefs and notables appointed by the King as an upper house in emulation of the British House of Lords), chartered into existence by King Kameihameiha III and Kekauluohi, the Kahina Nui (a rough analog of a prime minister in the Kingdom of Hawai'i). It was, to my knowledge, the first elected legislative body in the Pacific Ocean, before the first Imperial Diet of Japan (1890), the National Assembly of the short-lived First Philippines Republic (1898), the Legislative Council of New Zealand (1850's, I believe), and even the legislative assemblies of the colonies that in 1901 merged federally into the Commonwealth of Australia (I believe those colonial assemblies were first elected in the late 1840's to early 1850's, depending on the colony in question). I will update this thread shortly. Comments are, as always, welcome.

On 7/20/2016 at 1:37 AM, Patine said:

A scenario for the first elected legislature (at least the House of Representatives - there was no Senate back then, only a House of Nobles made up of traditional chiefs and notables appointed by the King as an upper house in emulation of the British House of Lords), chartered into existence by King Kameihameiha III and Kekauluohi, the Kahina Nui (a rough analog of a prime minister in the Kingdom of Hawai'i). It was, to my knowledge, the first elected legislative body in the Pacific Ocean, before the first Imperial Diet of Japan (1890), the National Assembly of the short-lived First Philippines Republic (1898), the Legislative Council of New Zealand (1850's, I believe), and even the legislative assemblies of the colonies that in 1901 merged federally into the Commonwealth of Australia (I believe those colonial assemblies were first elected in the late 1840's to early 1850's, depending on the colony in question). I will update this thread shortly. Comments are, as always, welcome.

well so much for that I guess it's been 11 months and 9 days.

54 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Sav

1 hour ago, NYrepublican said:

It's on the docket. I got distracted with something shortly after I posted that. It's still on the books.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I'm curious as to what you deleted.

an appeal asking if anyone can port some PMI stuff to CI which I'm doing now.