270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Herbert Hoover

Was the Brexit referendum result good for the UK?

Was the Brexit referendum result good for the UK?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Was the Brexit referendum result good for the UK?

• Yes
    • No

Congratulations to the UK on losing the pig fucker, and also for losing David Cameron. Let's go France, Holland, Italy. Get out.

Yes it was congrats to the UK!

Yes, it was!

The British people have sacrificed short-medium term economic prosperity for long-term political sovereignty, or what some might call the illusion of sovereignty. And to top it off, the dominant Conservative party is seeing their leader resign which makes the only feasible candidates Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Theresa May, three candidates which scare a whole hell of a lot of people when placed in charge of the nuclear codes. With now backbench dissent against their own leader, the Labour party's also in tatters and Scotland faces another sovereignty battle. 

Then again, I don't think I need to tell anybody the egregious and bureaucratic mess that is the European Union. Any nation would do well to dissociate themselves from such a group, especially after numerous attempts to reform failed in such a dramatic way.

The question of whether the referendum was "good" for the UK is complex, since it completely depends on your priorities. On one side, the British pound did lose 5-6% of its value within 24 hours and the UK is set for recession according to some estimates. And on another side, the Spanish proverb still is true: "Liberty has no price."

23 hours ago, streiner said:

The British people have sacrificed short-medium term economic prosperity for long-term political sovereignty, or what some might call the illusion of sovereignty. And to top it off, the dominant Conservative party is seeing their leader resign which makes the only feasible candidates Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Theresa May, three candidates which scare a whole hell of a lot of people when placed in charge of the nuclear codes. With now backbench dissent against their own leader, the Labour party's also in tatters and Scotland faces another sovereignty battle. 

Then again, I don't think I need to tell anybody the egregious and bureaucratic mess that is the European Union. Any nation would do well to dissociate themselves from such a group, especially after numerous attempts to reform failed in such a dramatic way.

The question of whether the referendum was "good" for the UK is complex, since it completely depends on your priorities. On one side, the British pound did lose 5-6% of its value within 24 hours and the UK is set for recession according to some estimates. And on another side, the Spanish proverb still is true: "Liberty has no price."

The UK Independence Party could see a big jump in the next elections if the 2 major parties continue to be fractured.

3 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

The UK Independence Party could see a big jump in the next elections if the 2 major parties continue to be fractured.

That's highly likely seeing as how the closest example would be the SNPs vote skyrocketing after the Scottish referendum. That being said, I don't know if Labour can unify but I have confidence that the Conservatives can unify. If the Conservatives unify behind Boris Johnson, then one could see UKIP's vote failing to pass expectations given that Boris Johnson led the charge on the Leave campaign.