270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Prussian1871

United Kingdom - 2010 (Infinity edition)

United Kingdom - 2010 (Infinity edition)

(Work in Progress)

Hello everyone! I'd like to announce the campaign I am making concerning the United Kingdom's 2010 General Election. PMI takes a lot of work to make scenarios given the amount of numbers and people, but luckily I'll be able to use Prime Minister Forever's 2010 campaign for most of that. This is, as you can tell, a work in progress, so please remember that this may not come for at least a while.

What's Done:

-Historical Leaders

-Some Alternate Leaders added (All Conservative 2005 Candidates added, Potential Labour candidates to come)

-British National Party and Nick Griffin added

-South West Northern Ireland Percentages/Candidates

-North East Northern Ireland Percentages/Candidates

-North East Scotland Percentages/Candidates

-South West Scotland Percentages/Candidates

-North England Percentages/Candidates

-Liverpool and Lancashire Percentages/Candidates

-Greater Manchester Percentages/Candidates

-North West Yorkshire Percentages/Candidates

-South East Yorkshire Percentages/Candidates

-Wales Percentages/Candidates

-North West Midlands Percentages/Candidates

-Birmingham and Coventry Percentages/Candidates

-West of England Percentages/Candidates

-North East Midlands Percentages/Candidates

-East of England Percentages/Candidates

-Central England Percentages/Candidates

-Home Counties North Percentages/Candidates

-Home Country South Percentages/Candidates

-West Country Percentages/Candidates

-Outer London Percentages/Candidates

-Center London Percentages/Candidates

-South East Percentages/Candidates

~All constituencies done! :D

What's not Done:

-Accurate constituencies populations

Sounds good.

Just for reference, AFAIK, the following historical British general election scenarios were made (official or otherwise) for the original PM Forever engine, so anyone who is thinking of making any of them for the PMI engine can get pictures and maps from them -

October 1974

and possibly an earlier one too (1910?)

Of the above, the ones most worth re-creating would IMO be 2010/1992 (close and unpredictable elections), 1997 (to please Labour supporters) and 1983 (to please Tory supporters + a close battle for second place in the popular vote).

In terms of other scenarios, 2020 has the potential to be very exciting (Jezza vs Boris?) and the Attlee-Churchill elections would be fun to play.

And if you feel that the process of making a large scenario is cumbersome, you could of course use maps from the "regional" scenarios to create a 2010 (or other) scenario that just plays around a region. It would presumably also have the effect of making gameplay quicker.

Well I'm about 1/3 the way done with candidates and percentages so far, which is pretty good. :)

Btw, I'm increasing the base organization level of the Lib Dems from 1 to 2 since they are more stable than in 2015.

Half way done with constituencies, with 325 done and another 325 to go.

I've also added the 2005 Conservative leadership candidates (David Cameron, David Davis, Ken Clarke, Liam Fox) as potential leaders.

If you guys have any ideas for alternate leaders (especially Labour/Liberal) feel free to suggest them, as I'd much appreciate it.

Frank Dobson for Labour could be quite interesting.

Alistair Carmichael, Norman Lamb, John Pugh and Tom Brake come to my mind for the Liberal Democrats. :)

The last government position Frank Dobson held was in 1999 (as Secretary of State for Health). He would be a better "alternative leader" for an early nineties campaign in my opinion.

Okay, it was just an idea. :)

Half way done with constituencies, with 325 done and another 325 to go.

I've also added the 2005 Conservative leadership candidates (David Cameron, David Davis, Ken Clarke, Liam Fox) as potential leaders.

If you guys have any ideas for alternate leaders (especially Labour/Liberal) feel free to suggest them, as I'd much appreciate it.

Labour:

David Miliband

Harriet Harman

Alistair Darling

Tony Blair (in an alternate universe where he stays on)

John McDonnell

Liberal Democrats:

Chris Huhne

Vince Cable

David Laws

Menzies Campbell

Charles Kennedy

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

I had thought about adding Blair, since it is a brilliant idea, however I've run into the problem that he wasn't in parliament in 2010, and his constituency of Sedgefield is being contested by Phil Wilson. Since I can't add different candidates under separate leaders (maybe this should be a feature?), the best I probably could do would be "Phil Wilson / Tony Blair (If Leader)", which is entirely doable.

What, no multiple candidates for the same party? How will one ever do those OLD late 17th-, 18th-, and early 19th-Century elections where there were no formal nominations and you often had two (or more) of each of Tories and Whigs duking it out for choice seats?

Awesome work! Btw have you added events? Like the time Gordon Brown insulted that woman? :P

Looks good. Looking at the list of all the leaders it is extraordinary just how many of them are now politically dead (or literally dead in the case of Charles Kennedy :( ). The exceptions include McDonnell, Farage, Salmond and Sturgeon...all of whom were considered somewhat fringe back in 2010. 

6 hours ago, Falcon said:

Awesome work! Btw have you added events? Like the time Gordon Brown insulted that woman? :P

I haven't added any events yet. From what I've played so far Cameron starts off with a strong advantage, so I'm not sure I want to weaken Brown.

I did add three debates with a 15% qualification mark between Lib Dems, Labour, and Conservative, which will generally help better debaters like Clegg or Laws.

3 hours ago, RFK/JFKfan said:

Looks good. Looking at the list of all the leaders it is extraordinary just how many of them are now politically dead (or literally dead in the case of Charles Kennedy :( ). The exceptions include McDonnell, Farage, Salmond and Sturgeon...all of whom were considered somewhat fringe back in 2010. 

Yeah, a lot happened in five years, huh? What I found intriguing while making this was the reality of the fall the Lib Dems had taken by 2015, and the rise of the SNP, Greens, and notably UKIP.

Maybe you can add Alan Johnson to Labour and Ming Campbell to Lib Dems?

What about the Official Monster Raving Looney Party? Former Social Democratic Leader Roy Jenkins failed to beat their number of votes in a by-election in the '90's by a significant margin, coming in third in what should have been an effective two-party race with Labour in a strongly Working-Class London Constituency... :P

2 hours ago, Falcon said:

Maybe you can add Alan Johnson to Labour and Ming Campbell to Lib Dems?

That's possible. I've considered adding other Tories candidates as well and maybe another Green.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

What about the Official Monster Raving Looney Party? Former Social Democratic Leader Roy Jenkins failed to beat their number of votes in a by-election in the '90's by a significant margin, coming in third in what should have been an effective two-party race with Labour in a strongly Working-Class London Constituency... :P

Which by-election was that? I can't really find anything on it....

I don't think the MRLP would really be possible to add under the left-right spectrum of issues, as their positions are nothing close to what actual parties have.

1 hour ago, Prussian1871 said:

That's possible. I've considered adding other Tories candidates as well and maybe another Green.

Yeah you could add George Osborne, he were considered to be a potential candidate in the 2005 leadership election.

Pleased to say that this scenario has been elevated to become an official scenario of Prime Minister Infinity. Thank you to 270soft, as it really is an honor to have.