270soft Forum
VanMav

Donald Trump?

18 members have voted

1. 1. Will these latest statements be the end of Donald Trump's candidacy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Donald Trump is actually just straight up off the rails at this point, right? I wrote this article before the latest stuff, but I still don't see why it's any less true than before: http://ljklife.com/donald-trump-populist-or-presumptuous-frontrunner/ .

A ban on all Muslims including US citizens? Closing down the internet? I don't think the Constitution works that way.

I hate to say it, and I'm loathe to make this particular comparison about ANYONE (even though some pundits and historians through this comparison around like it's Frisbee), but Trump's categorical misinformation, manipulation and ignoring of statistics, stereotyping and pidgeon-holing of easily-targeted demographics for political gain, over-the-top, extreme proposed solutions, mixed with podium-pounding firebrand rhetoric meant to hit the stupidest elements of the masses was the trademark of Hitler's Weimar Republic electoral campaigns. Yes, Trump has made me bring out the H-word, a comparison, as I said, I'm loathe to make about anyone. Trump's supporters would support him by saying he's targeting DIFFERENT demographics, and his grand, ultimately-destructive-if-enabled plans are DIFFERENT in context, but I feel the mentality and campaign approach is still very much there. After all, even Hitler hadn't yet proclaimed a Final Solution and World Domination in his agendas while still running for election...

It is exactly what his voters want to hear, so no, it will just strengthen him on his side of the political arena. But it may distance the center...

"A ban on all Muslims including US citizens? Closing down the internet?"

Has he actually proposed a ban on all Muslims? I was listening to an interview he gave where he explicitly said it did not include citizens. Rather, it was a temporary ban on new Muslims entering the U.S.

I believe the proposal to end Muslim immigration is fairly popular in the U.S. It's unpopular among the journalist class.

@Patine,

Try Jesse 'The Body' Ventura. I think Trump's a combination of Perot, Pat Buchanan, Teddy Roosevelt, and Ventura, say, if we wanted to use U.S. political figures.

However, I'm obviously not the only one whose just considered such a comparison of Trump's political tactics, if you look at the just previewed covered for tomorrow's edition of the New York Daily News (notably, the context-altered quote from the specific poem used; I wish I could make a link, but this forum won't let me paste anything into a post for some reason, as I've complained about in the past). But, as I've said, I'm loathe to make such extreme comparisons unless they seem absolutely to strike me as appropriate. But, since you asked nicely, I'll keep such comparisons toned down.

I think that a comparison with Hitler is unfair to Trump. I am not a supporter of him. I like some of his ideas to secure the border, but he goes to far on some things. Hitler was evil, but Trump is not evil.

@Anthony

I don't see any comparison between Trump and Teddy Roosevelt. Roosevelt was part adventurer, part intellectual (Harvard educated and interested in natural history above all things). He had endless energy. His was politically progressive. The only similarity is that they are both larger than life figures that espoused a nationalism. However, their nationalisms would be strikingly different.

I see Trump more as a hybrid of Perot, Buchanan and Andrew Jackson, but the comparison with any of these figures is so small that the comparison really doesn't work. He's something new.

I would say the ban to block all Muslim immigration is only popular among the tea party, which is a minority. I'd say it's stronger to say that it is unpopular, since Democrats (at least half the electorate) have no problem with Muslim migration on the whole, and I'd wager that about half of Republicans would be opposed to a total ban Muslims entering the country. I do think, however, that most American may accept (although, I wouldn't) stricter screening processes that would include stereotyping to keep out potential terrorists.

The thing with Trump is that he represent roughly 25% of the Republicans in the polls currently. His overall support is small, when you throw in Democrats and undecideds. I'm fairly certain most of the undecided aren't going to go for Trump. I think Trump can only grow from taking votes from Cruz and Carson. At some point, Trump is going to reach the cap on his support, I think. Trump and his views seem more powerful because the media focuses on it.

@JViking

I don't think Trump is saying or doing anything purposely to be evil, but I would definitely say that it is valid for someone to consider him as evil, since much of what he is saying and doing is in the behavior of a villain -- misogynist comments, school room bully insults, bigoted remarks towards minorities, childish threats to take down his own party by running independent if he "isn't treated fairly". Most importantly, his actions are severe enough that I could see ISIS using Donald Trump's image (as Uncle Sam) for a recruitment poster to swell their numbers. He's the stuff of nightmares. Thankfully, if he were elected he'd be powerless, since everyone would be against him. Cruz is far scarier since he would be more effective. I'll agree that Trump isn't quite Hitler. He's not calling for extermination or genocide.

@Everyone

At some point Trump is going to say too much. He says he won't drop out of the race. I believe that. He will probably take the whole Republican Party down with him. I expect him to hold a good portion of the supporters he currently has, because to about 10% of the Republican Party, he's probably an ideal candidate.

@Vcczar,

According to this Bloomberg Politics poll, Trump's proposal is supported by 2/3 of respondents who also are identified as likely Republican primary voters.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-12-09/bloomberg-politics-poll-trump-muslim-ban-proposal

If this poll is relatively accurate, support for his proposal goes well beyond the 25-30% he typically has been getting in polls for the last 5 months.

Re Roosevelt, I meant it exactly on the points you mentioned (and I agree with you that Trump is something new - I was simply trying to say what kind of politician he is using U.S. analogues, although these analogues are partial even in composite) - larger than life figures who were nationalists. However, Trump also seems to have a large amount of energy (look at journalists' reports of his energy levels on the campaign trail - I don't think the idea he has large amounts of energy is just self-aggrandizing hyperbole by Trump), and while Trump has merely threatened to split the Republican party so far, Roosevelt actually did it.

At some point? You don't think he already said too much?

I think he really does sound like a living comment section on YouTube. Throw all Mexicans, Ban Muslims, Force Mexico build a wall, Obama isn't American, Obama didn't really study, Global Warming is hoax... I mean seriously, when does it become too much?

But his power comes from the media, that just won't stop cover almost only him. I guess he is good for ratings...

Making Mexico pay for it is not imposible. They are ways to make them indirectly pay for it. You can use a tarrif. The US gives them a ton of money in aid which could be cut off.

As Emperor Qin Shi Huangdi proved back in Qin Dynasty China in the 3rd Century BC, building a big wall on your borders to keep out "undesirable" neighbours is not only a huge drain on resources (in more ways than one), but ultimately ends up being ineffective.

As Emperor Qin Shi Huangdi proved back in Qin Dynasty China in the 3rd Century BC, building a big wall on your borders to keep out "undesirable" neighbours is not only a huge drain on resources (in more ways than one), but ultimately ends up being ineffective.

Well that's hardly fair :P I doubt Mexico plans to become a horde and take over the american continent...

Wow, I've been gone a while.

Let me be clear: I'm not a fan of Donald Trump, presidential candidate. As someone who also has a disability (auditory), if I were ever a supporter of Trump, the comments and gestures made to apparently mock a reporter's condition and disability would have turned me off, even before the blatant catering to Islamophobia that Trump would (of course), bombastically take to its (il?)logical legal limit (because what's left to suggest would teeter on war crimes, genocide and just plain criminal).

But in truth? Trump blew it with me on day one. The blanket and blatant xenophobic remarks regarding Mexicans was just too much. I have friends from both sides of the political aisle that are absolutely GOBSMACKED this guy still maintains the strength of a bull rampaging the china shop that is the 2016 elections. A few still support him, but only because he is a "poke 'em in the eye" type of candidate, and even that support is tepid as of now.

So, to get back to the original question, would the remarks hurt him? Yeah, a bit. Is it lethal to his campaign? To centrists and the near center-left, it can be. But if the vast majority of disenchanted voters in the GOP primary retain their support of him, he'll still take a good chunk of the primary vote, enough to earn a substantial amount of delegates at the minimum (as the early contests are proportional). So, overall, I'm unsure if this is the self-inflicted cannonade of remarks that ultimately does his candidacy in. It definitely doesn't help him much in the general election.

Trump's comments when he announced were taken out-of-context by the media. He was not calling all Mexicans drug dealers, rapists, etc. He was talking about illegal immigrants.

It was actually Trump's statement that pushed me to his campaign, and away from Carly. In fact, Carly has decided to go with the flow and attack Trump rather than talk about what she would do for America. Trump is awakening the silent majority, and we are going to make America great again.

What, Dallas? Trump spends half his time attacking other candidates.

Trump hasn't given any realistic or practical solutions to any of the US' problems. Notably, he's been VERY vague on his economic policy and just how he really plans to "make America great again." His plans for military intervention in the Middle East show absolutely NO military knowledge whatsoever, except maybe from over-the-top Hollywood movies. His statement that "once he becomes President, he'll know everything he needs to know about that" would amount to the actual experienced, educated generals and admirals in the Joint-Chiefs-of-Staff telling him how utterly implausible and unworkable his "strategies" are. And, of course, NOTHING good ever comes of blanket policies based on singling out whole demographics based on paranoid, stereotyped, and bigoted assumptions.

Perhaps I'm thinking too deep and conspiratorially, but I just can't help but shake the feeling that Trump is a Clinton plant. They were great friends, and the Clintons attended his wedding.

Heck, 16 years ago in 2000 when he was gearing up for a Reform party run, he was closer to Bernie Sanders then anything else. Single payer healthcare, higher taxes on the rich, pro choice, etc.

Donald Trump is deeper and smarter than he obviously is letting on to. The man is a genius, and possibly an evil genius at that. Then again, it probably doesn't take much to tap into the well of conservative anger. Reminds me of the late and great Enoch Powell more than anything.

Trump's plan on Isis is not bad. Yes, it will have to be modified some if he were in as Commander and Chief and would need input from generals. But, taking the oil from Isis is a great idea. Trump has also released a tax plan. I agree that he is vague on a lot of issues, though.

I agree that Trump could be a Clinton plant, but I don't think Trump knows that he is. Interestingly, Andrew Jackson was originally a John Quincy Adams plant, to draw votes away from Henry Clay, but Jackson proved too popular and then Jackson's handlers couldn't handle him. This would be the 1824 election in which Jackson lost to Adams, despite winning the popular vote and having more EVs than Adams.

Trump's tax plan is basically a copy paste of Jeb Bush's, so you know it's alright.