270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

2nd Round: Grand Updates: 1788-1956 scenarios

Hey everyone,

I've finished updating all the eligible voters. I'm going to go through the second round of the grand update, which will include everything, except for events.

Here's how you can help on this thread--

1. Identify typos or inaccurate information (I'm only human)

2. Suggest candidates for inclusion

3. Suggest surrogates for candidates

4. Suggest endorsers, both state and national level

5. Play the scenarios and let me know if the strength of the currency should be greater or weakened

6. Suggest 3rd parties for inclusion that I have not added. I'll attempt to include any 3rd party that received at least 1% of the vote

7. Suggest a change in a candidate platform

8. Suggest rewording of a candidate or scenario's introduction

9. Suggest issues for a scenario or the rewording of issue discriptions.

10. Suggest vice leader

11. Report odd results in the scenarios. For instance, Woodrow Wilson winning every state in a simulation.

12. Let me know when you think a scenario seems nearly perfect (outside of events and the yet to be included favor-ability).

Your feedback will ensure that less work needs to be done in the future. You'll also help Anthony make the most expansive presidential election game in the history of gaming.

On the 3rd Party issue:

Perhaps you could eventually add all parties, which are featured on Wikipedia's results by states. At least I would handle it that way, cause I can't suggest other real parties than them :) I could only provide some 'what-if'-parties... like what if Dred Scott wouldn't have died in 1858 and eventually would have challenged (maybe together with Fredrick M. Douglass) the establishment on an abolitionist/former slave ticket in 1860. I don't know if there's interest in such a scenario, but yeah....

Suggestions (candidates):

1860:

Fmr. VP John Tyler as Southern Democrat option

1900:

Democrats:

David B. Hill

Charles A. Towne

Augustus van Wyck

William J. Stone

Millford W. Howard

1916:

VP Thomas R. Marshall could have challenged Woodrow Wilson...

1956:

J. Edgar Hoover (perhaps even in 1948 and 1952)

Alben W. Barkley

As endorser I could imagine Robert E. Lee having a say among southerners in 1868.

I'll tell you other candiates and endorsers later. I'll think about every election year, perhaps I'll have good ideas.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I have RE Lee as an endorser in 1868.

You're welcome!

Sorry, I missed that...

For those who are curious, I am making a Simulator Party that is 0% in the polls, so a player can simulate an election without using any of the competing candidates.

BTW, what were your thoughts on my last idea of E.D. Smith in 1936 I posted in your last thread, at the end. He was mostly known at the time (outside, I imagine, South Carolina) for his theatrical walkout at the Democratic Convention to protest the opening prayer being made, at Roosevelt's request, by an African-American pastor, but I thought may he could stand for the old guard far-right wing Southern Democrats, even further right-wing than Garner.

@Patine

I'll research him when I get back to that election. I have heard the name and about the walkout, but don't know about him outside of that.

I like the idea of a Simulator Party!

May I ask you what are your opinions on James Clark McReynolds? :)

Considering that I like the New Deal, I don't have that great of an opinion of him. He was also a racist and a bigot.

Ok, I'm pretty much done with the grand update for the 1788 election. Can you think of anything that needs to be added to 1792?

Here's how you can help on this thread--

5. Play the scenarios and let me know if the strength of the currency should be greater or weakened

6. Suggest 3rd parties for inclusion that I have not added. I'll attempt to include any 3rd party that received at least 1% of the vote

10. Suggest vice leader

11. Report odd results in the scenarios. For instance, Woodrow Wilson winning every state in a simulation.

12. Let me know when you think a scenario seems nearly perfect (outside of events and the yet to be included favor-ability).

Of course, he wasn't the kind of person I like but I think it could be interesting, if he were able to challenge FDR.

1792:

You could add William Few as a anti-Administration/southern challenger or the fmr. Governor of North Carolina Samuel Johnston as pro-a-option.

'What if'

Nathan Hale. If he got rescued, he could have become an even more popular American hero, than he now is. Perhaps he could have used that momentum to influence the election...

Horatio Gates. If Adams didn't seek reelection as VP he could have urged his friend do replace him. Perhaps the popular General, would have been a viable choice....

On the whole, I think there isn't much space for additional candidates, because you included already nearly all people I could have thought of as a suggestion. The same goes with the 1789 election.

Luki

Maybe Moses Robinson, having just recently negotiated the previously de facto independent Vermont Republic's entry into the Union and been elected one of it's two initial Senators for 1792 or even 1796 (I believe he labelled himself Democratic-Republican in the Senate once the party was formally acknowledged as existing).

I've got Frederick Muhlenberg as an additional idea.

Those are all good suggestion. I think Horatio Gates might be the most practical addition, with the only shot at being a VP at that time of those mentioned. I may add him. Thanks!

You're welcome! I'm glad, that I could help you!

I've updated 1788 and 1792.

Now on to 1796...Can you think of anything for 1796 in regards to these:

10. Suggest vice leader

Jonathan Dayton, John Rutledge or Frederick Muhlenberg again could be added.

I read all descriptions and I think they are fine. I played the scenario too, and in my opinion it's well structured. Even if you turn Washington on, it's not always a safe race for him. So I like this scenario, but perhaps anyone else has another suggetions.

BTW I like that you're asking for suggestions for each scenario itself, so it's easier to focus on one of them, rather than on all at the same time. I hope you keep it that way. :)

Ok. I'm doing 1800 next. You can help:

10. Suggest vice leader

Just minor things.

In Adams's bio when it reads 'Alien Sedition acts', I think you got a space too much...

In Pinckney's bio you're referring to the 1804 election instead of the election in 1800.

Potential candidates:

Oliver Ellsworth

Theodore Sedgwick

Thanks! The space is because it doesn't recognize the & sign apparently.

Ok, glad that I could help you!

I'm going to be taking a couple of weeks break from the update, as I have other projects to finish. I'm almost done with the 1800 update.

For 1804:

10. Suggest vice leader

Potential VPs or candidates:

John Breckinridge

Gideon Granger

John Langdon

Levi Lincoln

William Maclay

John Marshall

Nathaniel Macon

John Cotton Smith

Change of plans. I'll still inform you of the updates for 1788-1956, but since Anthony is considering adding them as official scenarios, I'll do the entire updates for these scenarios for each scenario as Anthony requests them, should he request them. This means I will now turn my attention to 1960 to the present (minus 1968, which is well-done, and those that Anthony has already made).