270soft Forum
jvikings1

Elections Through History

My campaign as Burr in 1800:

Background: Burr was Adam's VP after the 1796 election, so he received a slight popularity boost, seemingly becoming more legitimate. This allowed me to actually challenge Jefferson for President (while still not editing which ballot each person was on). I managed to win despite constant scandals (I increased Burr's corruption and decreased his integrity to make it in my mind realistic). Hamilton, hating Burr, also ran as an attempt to take down his arch-nemesis, but he failed badly.

1st: Burr: 26.4% 125 electoral (President after house of reps)

2nd: Jefferson: 19.6% 89 electoral (VP)

3rd: Adams: 15.1% 49 electoral

4th: Pinckney: 13.4% 10 electoral

5th: John Jay: 13.2% 3 electoral

6th: Hamilton: 12.3% 0 electoral

My guess is that a Burr presidency would be riddled with scandals and problems, but I also guess that he'd be much less likely to kill Hamilton in this situation. In 1804 I'll have plenty of primary challengers for him off the assumption of his unpopular presidency. This also makes it more likely the Federalists would not be beaten as badly, as Jefferson was more popular of a president than Burr. I'll let you guys know how that one goes soon.

1864 results:

Lincoln is the Republicn nominee and he choses Andrew Johnson as his VP.

Democrats:

McClellan: 68.9% 568 delegates (wins everything else)

Seymour: 15.6% 116 delegates (wins Kentucky, Louisiana, Ohio, Maryland, and Delaware

Pierce: 14% 46 delegates (Tennessee, West Virginia, and Nevada)

O'Connor: 1.5% 0 delegates

George McClellan is the nominee and George Pendleton is his VP.

Lincoln is the obvious choice for me.

general election results:

Lincoln: 212 EVs 57.6% (wins everything else)

McClellan: 21 EVs 42.2% (wins Kentucky, New Jersey, and Delaware)

Lincoln is President and Johnson is VP.

1868:

Lincoln has been assassinated and Andrew Johnson became President. But, the Republicans gained a veto proof majority so Johnson had little power.

Ulysses S. Grant is running and is the favorite for the Republicans. Salmon P. Chase and Benjamin Wade quickly throw their hats into the ring to challenge him. William Seward will also try to win a second term.

All default candidates declare for the Democrats. Franklin Pierce also tried to run again.

Millard Fillmore attempts a third party run.

I'll go for Wade in the primaries. For the general, I'll reluctantly take the Republican. None of the Democrat options are good yet.

Grant and Pendleton in the primaries. My final choice depends on the final candidates. :)

Are Texas, Mississippi, and Virginia excluded from casting EV's in this one like they were historically?

yes

In hind sight, I would not pick Grant, but if I were in that position right then, I would have voted for Grant.

I would nearly support Chase, but he's one of those instances of a person who would be extremely able, but also extremely untrustworthy. I would swing in favor of him for being an abolitionist, but he's also the type of person that would create a very strong and radical opposition to the government if things don't go right.

1804 results.

I decided to use Jefferson instead of Burr out of personal interest. As I said before, Burr would likely have been a corrupt president, so he faced many challengers. Hamilton also was not killed by Burr, and this made the Federalist ticket very interesting.

I as Jefferson managed to win the South and Central areas to earn the Dem-Rep ticket, and Burr suffered even with his still strong support as Clinton beat him in many areas. I chose Clinton as my VP

The Federalist ticket was split all over the place as Marshall, Pinkney, Hamilton, and Jay fought. No one got a majority and Hamilton ended up winning. It's weird, when people are removed one by one during the convention no one gained any additional delegates, likely a bug.

Hamilton's huge popularity in the North broke the hold that Jefferson had on the election. I managed to win with toss up states being NC, RI, and NJ. I won North Carolina and Rhode Island by only 1% and lost NJ by 2%.

Jefferson: 105

Hamilton: 71

I'm going to continue with Jefferson for a potential second term with Madison, Monroe and others as potential undecideds or not running candidates. The Federalists also will likely be stronger due to not being destroyed in this election, but I'm going to make Burr run as a 3rd party candidate since he hasn't killed Hamilton and would likely be upset with his party.

May not be completely accurate, but hey I'm going for an alternative history.

I think Hamilton would have no qualms breaking election law to get elected if he had actually run. His behavior in the 1800 election should be expressed more often.

1) He tried to manipulate electors into voting for Pinckney over Adams

2) He published a pamphlet slamming Adams

3) When it appeared Federalists would love the election, he tried to convince Gov. John Jay to nullify the vote in NY. Jay, also a Federalist, refused.

4) With Jefferson and Burr tied in EVs. Hamilton worked furiously to get Jefferson selected over Burr by the House, since he was the lesser of two evils to Hamilton.

1968 primary:

Republican:

Seward: 45.8% 550 delegates (wins all others)(wins Illinois by .8%, Missouri by .1%, Delaware by 1.7%)(averaged a 6.7% boost in the states right before the election[picked up most of the undecided voters] including 20% in New Jersey and Nebraska; 10% in many states that were picked up right at the end)

Grant: 36.2% 320 delegates (won California, Nevada, Kansas, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Indiana, Ohio, Maryland, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, and New Hampshire)(wins New Hampshire by .5%, Maryland by 1.6%)

Wade: 10.8% 0 delegates

Chase: 7.2% 0 delegates

Seward is the nominee. John Sherman is the VP candidate.

Democrats:

Seymour: 20% 302 delegates (picked up 164 delegates right before the election)(wins the rest)

Doolittle: 10.4% 26 delegates (wins Wisconsin)

Blair, Jr.: 9.4% 0 delegates

Packer: 9.2% 160 delegates (wins California, Oregon, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arkansas)

Johnson: 8.4% 134 delegates (Maryland, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina)

Church: 7.7% 90 delegates (wins New York)

Pendleton: 7.6% 0 delegates (had lead a few days before the election; got hit by a huge scandal)

Hancock: 7.4% 84 delegates (Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, West Virginia)

Pierce: 6.1% 8 delegates (wins New Hampshire)

Hendricks: 5.6% 6 delegates (wins Nevada)

Parker: 4.8% 28 delegates (wins New Jersey)

English: 3.5% 32 delegates (wins Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut)

Seymour wins the nomination. Francis P. Blair is the VP candidate.

Constitutional Union:

Fillmore: 100% 1700 delegates

John Bell is the VP candidate.

Go Seward/Sherman!

1868 results:

Seward: 196 EVs 52% (wins all others)

Seymour: 98 45.5% (wins New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama(by about 1k votes), Georgia, Oregon, California)

Fillmore: 0 EVs 2.5%

Seward win a 2nd non-consecutive term. Sherman is VP.

Would the Constitutional Union Party truly be relevant in 1868? Is there a key fact I'm missing here?

It was just Fillmore trying as a 3rd party for the Presidency.

1872 election:

Ulysses S. Grant is trying for the nomination again. VP John Sherman is stepping up and trying to win the Presidency.

Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Horatio Seymour, and Charles O'Conor are running for the Democrats.

Diffidently Grant again!

For DNC winner id like Andrew Johnson

I would vote for John Sherman. If Grant wins the nomination, I'd reluctantly support Grant. Although, Horatio Seymour could win me over depending on his Civil Rights stance.

Would have voted for Seward in 1868.

For Sherman and Fillmore in the primaries of 1872.

1872:

Republican:

Sherman: 71.5% 954 delegates(got all three national endorsements right before delegates were chosen)

Grant: 28.5% 0 delegates(hit hard by scandals)

Sherman is the nominee. James G. Blain chosen as the VP nominee.

Democrats:

Seymour: 54.3% 920(wins the rest)

Johnson: 28.7% 34 delegates(win Tennessee)

O'Conor: 10.2% 0 delegates

Fillmore: 6.8% 0 delegates

Seymour is the nominee. William Hayden English is the VP nominee.

General:

Republican: 56.9% 325 EVs(wins the rest)

Democrat: 43.1% 42 EVs(wins Texas, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware)

Grant! no! was hoping he would pull through with it! :(

1876 election:

All on by default Republicans will run. Sherman will not be running for a second term as President. Blaine, Sherman's VP, is in however. Grant will try for a third time.

All the Democrats that are on by default will run. Seymour decides against a chance for his 3rd nomination.

Peter Cooper is on for the Greenback Labor Party.

Blaine and Tilden in the primaries. :)

Tilden in the GE (hoping he would win this time, not only the popular vote, but enough EVs :P )