270soft Forum
jvikings1

Elections Through History

1820 results:

Monroe: 87.3% 232 EVs

Others: 12.7% 0 EVs

Monroe and Henry Clay have been re-elected for a third time.

1824:

Monroe has decided to run for a forth full term. Henry clay is staying loyal and has backed Monroe. Andrew Jackson and William H. Crawford have challenged Monroe. They both choose John C. Calhoun as their VP candidate. John Quincy Adams has stayed loyal as he is Secretary of State. DeWitt Clinton has decided to be the Northern challenger. Since Federalists can tolerate Clinton, there will be no unpledged Massachusetts electors getting votes. Clinton choses John Todd as his VP so his VP can get EVs from New York(which would not happen if Erastus Root or John Taylor was his VP candidate(both from New York)).

Definitely voting for DeWitt Clinton. I'd trust Crawford, too. I'd say Monroe has had a good run, but he should retired.

1824 results:

Monroe: 48.3% 250 EVs

Jackson: 25.4% 11 EVs

Crawford: 18.3% 0 EVs

Clinton: 8% 0 EVs

Monroe and Henry Clay are re-elected for a 4th term.

1828:

John Quincy Adams, Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, and William Henry Harrison are running for the National Republican Party nomination. Andrew Jackson is running for the Democrat nomination. William H. Crawford and John C Calhoun are also running as well. Martin Van Buren (the northerner) is also running. There will finally be another non-Virginian in office. After a 3 term Jefferson and a 4 term Monroe, there is a lot of support for a Constitutional amendment for a Presidential term limit. An amendment has been proposed in the House and there will be a vote on it shortly.

Can't believe Henry Clay didn't die of boredom for 16 years as VP. Surprisingly, he's still relatively young in 1828.

I'd vote for JQ Adams in 1828, with Henry Clay as my backup choice. I'd accept anyone, but Randolph.

1828 primary results:

National Republican:

Clay: 33.3% 438 delegates (wins Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New York)

Adams: 32.9% 140 delegates (wins Maine, Missouri, Illinois, Delaware, and New Jersey)

Harrison: 20.3% 30 delegates (wins Indiana)

Webster: 13.5% 76 delegates (Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island)

Henry Clay is the nominee and chooses Richard Rush as his VP candidate.

Democrat:

Jackson: 50.2% (wins all other states)

Van Buren: 28.2% (wins Mississippi, Kentucky, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Maine)

Calhoun: 13.2% (wins South Carolina)

Crawford: 8.4 % (wins no states)

Andrew Jackson is the nominee. He selects John C. Calhoun as his VP candidate.

I wanted Adams, but I can accept Clay.

1828 results:

Clay 41.7% 144 EVs (wins New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, Kentucky, and Louisiana)

Jackson: 58.3% 116 EVs

Henry Clay after 4 terms as VP is finally President. Richard Rush is VP.

1832:

Henry Clay faces no competition in his own party. This time John Sergeant is Clay's VP candidate as Rush declined a second term as VP. Andrew Jackson tries to recover from 2 straight defeats(including one where he won the popular vote by and overwhelming number) and runs again unopposed. Martin Van Buren is Jackson's VP candidate. The Anti-Mason's do not field a candidate. The nullifiers do not run a candidate. A term limit amendment passed the House but narrowly got rejected in the Senate. For the second straight election, there is a guarantee of no Virginian as President.

I'd probably vote for Jackson.

I just realized that Clay was born in Virginia, but resided and served from Kentucky.

I'd vote for Clay again. However, I would have been pissed that Jackson was denied when he won a majority of the votes, even though I don't like him.

Ya, that was the second time that happened. But, this time Clay was killed in the popular vote.

I just hate Jackson as a person. I would vote for Clay.

Glad we agree on a candidate.

1832 results:

Clay 37.6% 165 EVs (wins Louisiana, South Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio, Maryland Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine).

Jackson: 62.4% 123 EVs (wins all others)

Clay is re-elected and Sergeant is now VP.

1836 election:

A 2-term limit amendment has passed both the House and the Senate with Henry Clay's support. It will now be sent to the states. Martine Van Buren is the nominee for the Democrats as Andrew Jackson is tired after 3 defeats even after easily winning 2 in popular vote. Richard Mentor Johnson is his VP candidate. The Whigs are unified under John Quincy Adams who wants to finally become President. Francis Granger is his VP candidate. John Quincy Adams has announced support for the term limit amendment.

Van Buren for the win! :D

This would be a hard decision for me. I like that Adams is harder on slavery, but Van Buren is for more voting rights than Adams. They have the same position on taxes and spending. So, it comes down to internal improvements and the national bank.

I'm strongly supporting John Quincy Adams.

I would probably vote for Adams as well.

1836 results:

Adams: 51.5% 194 EVs (wins New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Jersey, Rhode Island Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Louisiana

Van Buren: 48.5% 100 EVs (wins all other states)

New Jersey and Rhode Island were super close and North Carolina was close.

John Quincy Adams becomes President and Francis Granger is the VP.

The term limit amendment has been sent to the states with all states that voted for Adams supporting it. (14/26 so far)(5 more needed to pass). (Connecticut, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Maine, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi are being targeted by supporters to try to get the 5 states needed to pass the amendment)

1840:

John Quincy Adams has been renominated and has John Tyler as his VP. Martin Van Buren is renominated by the Democrats and is seeking revenge. His VP candidate is Tichard Mentor Johnson again. The Liberty Party has nominated James Birney. His VP candidate is Thomas Earle.

The term limit amendment passed the states. Presidents can now only serve two terms, so John Quincy Adams, if he wins, cannot run again.

1840 election:

Adams: 47.9% 196 EVs(wins Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisiana)

Van Buren: 48.6% 98 EVs(wins all others)

Birney: 3.5% 0 EVs

Adams is re-elected and Tyler is VP.

1844:

Daniel Webster, Winfield Scott, John McLean and John M. Clayton are running for the Whigs. John Quincy Adams and Henry Clay are both ineligible to run.

James K. Polk, Martin Van Buren, Lewis Cass, James Buchanan, Richard Mentor Johnson, Levi Woodbury, and John C. Calhoun are all running for the Democrats.

James Birney is running as the Liberty Party candidate.

Glad Adams won both times. I'll go for another Massachusetts man: Daniel Webster. Although, I'd be happy with any Whig. If a Democrat must win, I'd prefer Woodbury.