270soft Forum
MattyN

Feature You'd Most Like to See

I'd like to see endorsements not tied to momentum so completely. I do think they should be tied to momentum somewhat, but I'm sick of every governor endorsing one candidate. D: Also I'd like to see Senators as endorsers.

It would also be cool if once these people endorsed you, they we're added to your pool of crusaders.

Also. I'd like to be able to put crusaders where I want them. They should also have a plus in their home state.

I agree about the endorser-momentum thing - I have some endorser groups in one of my customized scenario that would never in a million years endorse one of the other parties, yet if I get some momentum going, it sweeps in those groups.

Adding Senators as endorsers shouldn't be a big deal at all - totally doable.

Your suggestions about crusaders being moved by you and not the computer, though, I think would add a lot more complexity to the game (as you'd be handling any number of campaign schedules in addition to Pres and VP). We have plenty of other features that would be neat to have that would help more. Also, adding endorsers as crusaders would only work if they are people - and that would require distinguishing within endorsers between people and orgs. Again, not a bad idea, but not as doable or as important as your first two ideas.

I just had an idea. Although it's pretty vague. :(

So we would have another button, like the one you click on in to make Ad's, and to go to your platform, you know. Well this one would be labeled Campaign Infrastructure.

Now this would be unique to each state. But you would also have a national one [ so when your viewing the US as a whole, and you click on it, you go to the National one ]

There would be boxes. And all you would have to do is click on them and it would check. And of course daily costs for some and set costs for others.

A few ideas...

State...

Banners/Yard signs [ Would take 4-5 days to plant, say, 20,000 ]

Poll Transportation [ Set cost ]

Make Calls

National...

Establish a Campaign Website

And my mind is blank. Although I know we could probably come up with 100's of others. I hope you all get the idea.

Also. I don't think all the governors/Senators should be equal. I'm sorry but Arnold Schwarzenegger is a more powerful endorsment then Jim Douglas.

Will any update to Campaigns Forever allow Proportionate Representation in the general election? There is a menu for it so clearly it can be done but, its just FPP in general. IT would be SO cool....

Just a couple of (maybe simple?) similar things. A hands-off mode would be nice if it's possible, as well as the ability to convert to hands-off mode if you're eliminated during the primaries and don't become the running-mate. Giving a choice to endorse another candidate during the convention (if you've been eliminated) would be nice, and I'd also like to see the "everyone eliminated but the top two" system replaced with a "round" system -- eliminate the last-place candidate, then second-last, then third-last, etc. It would be more realistic and work really well, I think.

Just a couple of (maybe simple?) similar things. A hands-off mode would be nice if it's possible, as well as the ability to convert to hands-off mode if you're eliminated during the primaries and don't become the running-mate. Giving a choice to endorse another candidate during the convention (if you've been eliminated) would be nice, and I'd also like to see the "everyone eliminated but the top two" system replaced with a "round" system -- eliminate the last-place candidate, then second-last, then third-last, etc. It would be more realistic and work really well, I think.

Good idea. I also like the idea of a "watch mode" where you can just sit back and watch instead of using a thir party canditate.

• Upvote 1

Ya, a watch mode shouldn't be too hard to make. Actually you could make it yourself easy. Just go create a "Watch Party" and give them no funds and 1 on all the leadership and integrity and stuff.

Ya, a watch mode shouldn't be too hard to make. Actually you could make it yourself easy. Just go create a "Watch Party" and give them no funds and 1 on all the leadership and integrity and stuff.

Yeah I often do that but with a watch mode you can see everythinh the canditates do like ads and activities and crusaders and such.

• Upvote 1

You can also put them on the ballot in one state only and give them a "0" for polling numbers there. Make it Washington DC or something that one side is always going to win.

Demographics. Could be a touchy subject but there definitely seems to be trends amongst ethnic age and religious lines amongst others. This could add a whole new dimension as it would open the door to many things like new scandals.

e.g. candidate "A" says we should cut ties with Israel; support amongst Jewish supporters plummet nationally.

One idea is having the election night screen on primary days. You know how on general election night it goes to the vote counting screen. Why not have that on some of the bigger primary days, like Super Tuesday, the Potomac Primaries and the March 4 Primiaries. It would just get you a little bit more into the actual primary. Rather tha ntwenty messages saying:

'Clinton wins Alabama (Clinton _, Obama _)'

'Obama wins Arizona (Obama _, Clinton _)'

and so on.

• Upvote 1

One idea is having the election night screen on primary days. You know how on general election night it goes to the vote counting screen. Why not have that on some of the bigger primary days, like Super Tuesday, the Potomac Primaries and the March 4 Primiaries. It would just get you a little bit more into the actual primary. Rather tha ntwenty messages saying:

'Clinton wins Alabama (Clinton _, Obama _)'

'Obama wins Arizona (Obama _, Clinton _)'

and so on.

Great Idea. I think it should be optional though.

• Upvote 1

Great Idea. I think it should be optional though.

That's actually a great idea. They could have it set up for every primary day, but you would choose whether you wanted to actually watch it (like some people may not want to watch Wyoming)

There is a VP home state bonous [ which almost never works for me ] but no canidate home state bonous.

There is a VP home state bonous [ which almost never works for me ] but no canidate home state bonous.

I was actually bothered by this a few minutes ago, because Reagan as Republican nominee in 1968 should be doing better in California.

Have you tried cranking the VP bonus way up? The 5-10 TheorySpark levels do little.

One thing that's always gotten to me, is that you can raise the same amount of money in Wymoning as you can in New York.

Also, Eletric Monk, I set it to 35, - and still nothing. Or at least, very little that I don't notice. [ After trying numerous lower levels. ]

One thing that's always gotten to me, is that you can raise the same amount of money in Wymoning as you can in New York.

Also, Eletric Monk, I set it to 35, - and still nothing. Or at least, very little that I don't notice. [ After trying numerous lower levels. ]

I'm pretty sure I (or someone else) mentioned that way back in the thread. Also, fund-raising is woefully out-of-sync with the modern fund-raising operation via direct mail and recently internet; also, money comes in at far too slow a pace for 2008.

Hmm. The easiest way to test this would be to have both VP states be balanced (say 40-40 for Maine and Wyoming) and have the VP barnstorm in his home state once per week on each side; one VP has a home state bonus of 10, the other has 50. Don't do anything else in the state—no advertising, no FootSoliders, no visits by the Presidential nominee—and then see what the final result is.

Hmm.

I always thought it would be an instant bonous, - rather then a barnstorming bonous. Perhaps that is what I was doing wrong, - I'll test it out and see what happens.

Also, I agree. Not to mention the fact that they start out with 75Mil, whereas in real life they can spend over 400mil over the course of a campaign. And raise 30-40mil a month. Of courses, costs would also have to be upped.

This is because the scenario designer can set candidate starting percentages for each state, and simply add any home state bonus there.

Anthony Burgoyne

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

This is because the scenario designer can set candidate starting percentages for each state, and simply add any home state bonus there.

Anthony Burgoyne

Think of it this way: in 1968 Nixon had very limited coattails in California, but Reagan as a popular sitting governor would have somewhat more coattails. There is no way to tell the game that if Candidate A is playing, he gets this home state bonus, but if candidate B is playing he gets this home state bonus.

So you can set it, but you can only cover the expected general election candidate (Nixon) and you can't cover alternative general election candidates (Reagan).

I see what you're saying. I've noted this.

Anthony Burgoyne

Think of it this way: in 1968 Nixon had very limited coattails in California, but Reagan as a popular sitting governor would have somewhat more coattails. There is no way to tell the game that if Candidate A is playing, he gets this home state bonus, but if candidate B is playing he gets this home state bonus.

So you can set it, but you can only cover the expected general election candidate (Nixon) and you can't cover alternative general election candidates (Reagan).

How bout the ability to delete individual elections off the high score list instead of having to clear it all. I've got a Huckabee 538-0 98 popular vote I did for fun against the Libertarians that doesn't look right.

• Upvote 1

How bout this. There are certain crusaders that are uncomitted. You sway them the same way as the endorsers but once they commit they're yours.

• Upvote 1

What about more election night colors? I'd like to run multi-party scenarios and not have all the parties not using red, blue, or green get that ugly olive green color for their "high percentage" states.

• Upvote 1