Jump to content
270soft Forum
MattyN

Feature You'd Most Like to See

Recommended Posts

On 9/19/2019 at 2:15 PM, admin_270 said:

@darkmoon72

Ya, it's pretty difficult to simulate. My view is the %s in the election results can be understood to include any recounts.

 I can understand that.

One semi-related feature though that used to be in the 2008/2012 game and I'd love to see make a comeback:  declaring/undeclaring states on election night.

Florida (for example) would be called for Republicans...but then that call would be revoked, and it would be a toss up again, and then maybe it would go democrat (or back to Republican).  That made election night more exciting.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Patine said:

You're trying to turn this entirely on me and avoid admitting any fault or responsibility in the matter at all or that your method of approaching game design is anything short of stellar and above reproach.

To be clear, not adding MMP to Infinity by this point is 100% my responsibility. I'm not trying to deflect responsibility at all. What I'm trying to do is explain to you why the decisions are being made as they are. In this case, we have the software equivalent of a massive meteor hurtling towards Earth that will wipe out 25% of the population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

One semi-related feature though that used to be in the 2008/2012 game and I'd love to see make a comeback:  declaring/undeclaring states on election night.

Ya, I want to add this. It just hasn't quite made it up the to-do list to this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

Seconded.  I'd propose that time be August of the year before the election.  

This election (2020), the last person to throw their hat in was I think Steyer was the last to declare for the Democrats, and that was in July.  The last candidate to declare and poll at 5% or better right now was Biden back in late April -- who entered the race already as a known entity.  The latest an unknown entity was able to declare and still reach at least 5% was Pete Buttigieg in March.

I think an August cut-off is more than fair -- anyone who would be joining the real world election at this point in September would just be a laughing stock.

It can be different from campaign to campaign.  When McGovern declared in January of 1971 for the 1972 election it was seen as comically early, and he was the only declared Democrat for almost a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, pilight said:

It can be different from campaign to campaign.  When McGovern declared in January of 1971 for the 1972 election it was seen as comically early, and he was the only declared Democrat for almost a year.

I think the primary schedule being pushed back earlier and earlier is largely due to the need for fundraising in the United States.  Unless we have some drastic changes (like public financing of campaigns), I don't see this trend improving any time soon. 

Even Bill Clinton didn't formally announce his bid until October 1991, which of course would be way too late to declare these days - in fact Cory Booker's campaign just announced he may drop out by this October if he doesn't improve his fundraising numbers.  I think this also speaks to Steyer's late entry this year - he's a billionaire and can largely underwrite his own campaign.

In real life, I'd much prefer the shorter campaigns of yesteryear.  No matter what side you're on or whom you support, I don't think the near-perpetual campaigning we have in the US is doing anyone any good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any plans to have leadership elections for the PMI games? 

I do like the "What if?"-type situations where I play a historical campaign as a different leader, but I'd feel more satisfaction if I actually earned the right to play as a different leader, much like President Infinity's primary campaigns.

I do realize the Westminster leadership election schedule is very different from US primaries, and that typically there are several years between a leadership election and the federal election itself.  Perhaps the game could "fast forward" to the election itself once a leader is decided?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like some way of filtering seats by margin and/or a click-and-drag feature so that I don't have to click the mouse, say, 150 times to turn an ad on in 150 different political units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RI Democrat said:

I'd like some way of filtering seats by margin and/or a click-and-drag feature so that I don't have to click the mouse, say, 150 times to turn an ad on in 150 different political units.

PM4E and K4E actually target ads by political region ON THE MAP - regardless of the number of constituencies in the political region. PMI and CI need ads targeted by each and every individual constituency or electoral district. Wouldn't a player having a choice between the two schemes in a given game on a case by case basis save a lot of headache?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Patine said:

PM4E and K4E actually target ads by political region ON THE MAP - regardless of the number of constituencies in the political region. PMI and CI need ads targeted by each and every individual constituency or electoral district. Wouldn't a player having a choice between the two schemes in a given game on a case by case basis save a lot of headache?

Maybe, though the disadvantage of the PM4E/K4E system is that you waste money on running ads in constituencies that aren't competitive. The ideal would be that you could just filter the list like you can on Excel, so that you could pull up, for example, all constituencies polling at 5% or closer and turn on an ad for them in one click rather than having to click each of them individually. Or, for that matter, if there was something like the old Congress Forever "watchlist" that allowed you to filter your key seats without necessarily investing the CP and cash necessary for targeting, then you could use the watchlist to filter for the purpose of running ads.

(I don't know about everyone else, but in countries with a lot of seats like Canada and the UK, I don't find it practical to try to turn on targeting in every seat where I'm running ads.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RI Democrat said:

I'd like some way of filtering seats by margin and/or a click-and-drag feature so that I don't have to click the mouse, say, 150 times to turn an ad on in 150 different political units.

Ya, good idea. We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 1:08 PM, darkmoon72 said:

Are there any plans to have leadership elections for the PMI games?

Ya, it's just a very different sort of system. I agree this would be fun - perhaps have a primaries period for the game and then fast-forward to the general election once a leader wins, resetting various things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2019 at 2:40 PM, Actinguy said:

 I can understand that.

One semi-related feature though that used to be in the 2008/2012 game and I'd love to see make a comeback:  declaring/undeclaring states on election night.

Florida (for example) would be called for Republicans...but then that call would be revoked, and it would be a toss up again, and then maybe it would go democrat (or back to Republican).  That made election night more exciting.  

 

Seconded.  I'm a huge fan of the election night simulation that P4E 2008 had.  Lopsided states would be called right away, closer races wouldn't be called until the last moment, there was the cheering crowd noise and even the check mark once a winner was declared - and I always loved seeing the "We are taking back our call!" announcement.

I also liked that the votes swung back and forth by relatively small margins in the 2008 game, giving the closer races a nail-biter feel.  In President Infinity, the races swing by huge margins - usually 10%+ at a time - so I have no idea how the closer races are going, since the percentages flip so much every time the game updates the election night totals.  I used to like watching the closer races and seeing them teeter between 51%/49% margins in either direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few minor things came to mind.  My apologies if these have already been posted or implemented and I missed it.

 

-An option to have a region's color reflect the number of seats won, instead of popular vote (Congress Infinity & PMI).  I can win regions by 8/7 majorities and it will still show my opponent's color, just because they won the popular vote.  It would be nice to be able to change that.

-A separate color - or split colors - for tie votes in a particular region.  Right now the game seems to just pick randomly between the top two.

-A description of the size of majority in Congress and PMI games.  When I play it now, it doesn't distinguish between a +1 majority or a +300 majority, every week I still get the same "Majority" headline in Congress or Parliament.  Would be nice to see "razor-thin", "solid", "huge", etc., before "Majority" headlines, depending on the number or percentage of seats.  Maybe even "supermajority" or "working majority", if possible.  It's kind of like how President Infinity distinguishes between "Ahead in Polls" and "Commanding Lead in Polls", just implementing the same idea for the legislative games.

-The option for abstentation.  PMI doesn't account for Sinn Féin refusing to take their seats in Parliament.  It may sound counterintuitive, but I'd like the game to account for candidates not ascending to the office after their election.

-More than one occurrence of the headline for "Out of Funds!", "In Collapse!", "Momentum!" "Negative momentum", and "Big Mo'!".  I've noticed no matter the situation, these headlines only seem to occur once in a given campaign, and never again.

-For President Infinity, local polls that can generate headlines would be a nice feature (Iowa, NH, etc.), in addition to the national weekly polls that show up in the headlines.  I've noticed in real life primaries and general presidential elections, a local state's poll will sometimes make the news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I noticed, exclusive to the Prime Minister games.

It's almost impossible for me to form coalitions or confidence-and-supply agreements with other parties if nobody gets a majority.  15 PIPs hardly move the needle at all when I'm trying to negotiate with another party.  The one exception seems to be the two Israel scenarios, because I have 150 PIPs to give to any potential allies.  I've even tried playing nice with minor parties, so we have better relations with each other.  It doesn't seem to matter.  Usually I can offer all my PIPs and I can't even get out of the negative percentages.

If it was easier to form coalitions, I'd enjoy the post-election horse trading a lot more.  Maybe the starting percentages could be closer to 0% instead of -100%.  Maybe 1 PIP would help more than just 5% or so, or maybe every candidate could just start out with more PIPs to use.  I'm not sure which of these would be the easiest to implement, I just feel like forming coalitions is a little too tough in these games, except the Israel scenarios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, darkmoon72 said:

One thing I noticed, exclusive to the Prime Minister games.

It's almost impossible for me to form coalitions or confidence-and-supply agreements with other parties if nobody gets a majority.  15 PIPs hardly move the needle at all when I'm trying to negotiate with another party.  The one exception seems to be the two Israel scenarios, because I have 150 PIPs to give to any potential allies.  I've even tried playing nice with minor parties, so we have better relations with each other.  It doesn't seem to matter.  Usually I can offer all my PIPs and I can't even get out of the negative percentages.

If it was easier to form coalitions, I'd enjoy the post-election horse trading a lot more.  Maybe the starting percentages could be closer to 0% instead of -100%.  Maybe 1 PIP would help more than just 5% or so, or maybe every candidate could just start out with more PIPs to use.  I'm not sure which of these would be the easiest to implement, I just feel like forming coalitions is a little too tough in these games, except the Israel scenarios.

Strangely, the earlier PM4E and K4E games were a lot more workable in this particular way, and PMI has made a definite step down in this regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...