270soft Forum
MattyN

Feature You'd Most Like to See

Possible in-game feature.

President Infinity is by far one of the best election simulators known. The amount of realism in the game is absolutely incredible. It would be awesome if we could add more small features to make this game even better! 

My Idea: Recounts

I believe that adding recounts into the game would step up its realism to the max. My idea is that if you are a candidate and you fall in the threshold percent in certain states, you should have the option to call for a 'recount' in that state, multiple states, or even nationwide. I know I don't have much information on how it'll work in the game, however, that's why I've brought it to the forum!

I'd love to hear feedback!

I like the idea of recounts, just a matter of figuring out how to mesh it with existing game concepts. The recent Florida recount is another example, and of course there's 2000. We'll see.

18 hours ago, Sebconner said:

Possible in-game feature.

President Infinity is by far one of the best election simulators known. The amount of realism in the game is absolutely incredible. It would be awesome if we could add more small features to make this game even better! 

My Idea: Recounts

I believe that adding recounts into the game would step up its realism to the max. My idea is that if you are a candidate and you fall in the threshold percent in certain states, you should have the option to call for a 'recount' in that state, multiple states, or even nationwide. I know I don't have much information on how it'll work in the game, however, that's why I've brought it to the forum!

I'd love to hear feedback!

57 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I like the idea of recounts, just a matter of figuring out how to mesh it with existing game concepts. The recent Florida recount is another example, and of course there's 2000. We'll see.

I've often wondered about these recounts. If recounts can be demanded until they are no longer within a certain margin of closeness, the numbers would actually have to be CHANGED at some point if the REAL result was actually that close. There would have to be deliberate jiggering of the numbers. Isn't that, by nature, a form of electoral fraud, corruption, and malfeasance at some level?

I don't think anyone's mentioned this idea before - my apologies in advance if it's been brought up.

But I would really like to have campaign debts implemented in-game, if there are no plans to do so already.

As it is now, when you run out of money, you can't run ads, set up events or do anything else that costs money, accompanied by a "X's Campaign Out Of Funds!" negative headline (side note - this headline only seems to show up once, even if you run out of money multiple times.  Not sure if this is intentional). 

It would be a neat idea if you could go into the negative with money - as campaigns often do - and still run ads, etc. with the understanding that the vendors will be paid back after the election.  Perhaps a news story could be generated, too.

My thinking is your final score could be adjusted on this basis, with a bonus/penalty depending on whether or not you went into debt, and if so, how much. 

In general, perhaps your cash on hand could be factored in to your score at the end of every election - so if you won being frugal, you'd get more of a bonus than if you spent all your money.  I was thinking this would also be a good idea, even if campaign debts can't be done.

Perhaps something about grassroots funding?  NBC is reporting that for 2020 (link here) "criteria for presidential candidates to qualify for the debates... would be based on polling and grassroots fundraising, though he declined to offer specific thresholds".

I have no ideas for how such a game mechanic would work.  Perhaps a campaign would have to have purchase resources donated to seeking small donor money or have advertising dedicated to the "issue" of small donations.  But having such a mechanic might help model candidate campaigns like Dean 2004 or Sanders 2016.  (It could also generate some headlines, "<Candidate> Popular With Grassroots Donors".

On 11/26/2018 at 2:39 PM, admin_270 said:

I'm not familiar with various jurisdictions' rules on this, but my guess is most have a limit on number of recount requests.

Most states have an automatic recount if the margin is either less than 1%(such as my state in South Carolina) or .5%(In Florida). 

Two new thoughts:

Considering the recent Northam news, create potential for news stories about endorsers, or even some sort of favorability around endorsers. In this case, a news story like the one about Northam could be damaging to the candidate endorsed by them; vice versa, a positive story about an endorser could boost the candidate they endorsed. Maybe in this case, there could be an option to recuse an endorser to distance from a scandal (for a trade-in of returning money, or losing momentum in a state or something.) Maybe this is too in depth, but it could be a cool addition.

Similarly, have positive and negative news stories apply to a vice presidential candidate that could lead you to pulling them off the campaign trail for a point, removing them from the campaign entirely (with a news story from it.) Maybe even the inverse, where a VP candidate could outshine a leader candidate with positive stories that could (temporarily) overpower the perception of the leader. Not sure if this is making sense, but basically more autonomy for VP candidates could be helpful... Maybe even give options for a VP to talk about themselves (and other VP's) or the leader candidate, and give the leader candidate the same choice. 

Has there been any progress on two round voting? Because I would love to see that, especially in primaries so proper versions of races with runoffs could be done.

On the primary note, the other feature I'd love to see is primaries being conducted via popular vote. I've been working on a Vermont 1998 scenario just for giggles and noticed that the primaries require delegates even though the general is popular vote.

@Nulla Lex Ink.

There has been progress in that Favorability has been implemented in the sneak-peek. With Favorability, two-round voting becomes much easier. However, allowing two rounds hasn't been implemented yet. I don't have an ETA for it at this point.

I'd like to see results by congressional district or counties. That could be turned off and on. Break down of votes by demographic could be interesting as well.

@Devin57

Demographic blocs ('Voting Blocs') are a planned feature (see https://270soft.com/2019/03/05/goals-for-next-releases-spring-2019/ ).

Presidential election results by congressional district would add a lot of detail to the game, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort in terms of game play, since electoral votes in almost all cases are by state. At this point it's a nice to have, but not a must have, in my opinion.

I think while showing results by congressional districts or counties is a bit much, breaking up states by regions to campaign in would be useful and interesting. For example, break up New York into NYC, central NY, upstate NY, and western NY, or something like that, and break them up with different populations as well. When campaigning in that state a candidate would be able to choose which region to go to. 

I don't know how hard that would be to implement, but it would make the game more interesting/challenging by having to balance campaigning in urban and rural areas. 

A feature I'd like to see is Mixed Member Proportional (MMP) or Proportional Represention  (PR). Then we'd have ourselves the ultimate election simulator 😛 but even without them the games are still great :D

This may either be a suggestion or a question since I haven't played in a bit, but is there a way to pre-set candidates' themes in the editor? I confess that I often forget about theme at the beginning of a game and so I fall a little behind, but if we could edit in the editor we could skip that step (as well as ensuring all candidates have themes/emphasis that match their real life campaigns.)

Must make my monthly request for choosing game save location (will that come with networking).

Also... allow to change a candidate's party or copy/move between parties, or import candidates or parties from other scenario files.

And of course... RANK CHOICE VOTING!!!! :)

@servo75

Rank choice voting is in Prime Minister Infinity, but might happen for PI.

You can change your save game location - do you mean setting a default save game location?

On 7/9/2019 at 3:07 PM, lizphairphreak said:

This may either be a suggestion or a question since I haven't played in a bit, but is there a way to pre-set candidates' themes in the editor? I confess that I often forget about theme at the beginning of a game and so I fall a little behind, but if we could edit in the editor we could skip that step (as well as ensuring all candidates have themes/emphasis that match their real life campaigns.)

No, but it's a good idea.

We need a drop dead date for undecided candidates to enter the primaries, after which they'll stop being included in the polls.  Also, once an undecided candidate is "not seeking" they should be out of the race and the polls.

1 hour ago, pilight said:

We need a drop dead date for undecided candidates to enter the primaries, after which they'll stop being included in the polls.  Also, once an undecided candidate is "not seeking" they should be out of the race and the polls.

But wouldn't that be an impediment mechanism for historical scenarios that had "dark horse" candidates?

1 minute ago, Patine said:

But wouldn't that be an impediment mechanism for historical scenarios that had "dark horse" candidates?

Make it optional.

I'm tired of 20% of the Dem voters in 2016 sticking with Biden even though he's already decided not to seek the nomination, meaning that they're going to get randomly distributed when Iowa and New Hampshire come around.

On 11/26/2018 at 2:39 PM, admin_270 said:

I'm not familiar with various jurisdictions' rules on this, but my guess is most have a limit on number of recount requests.

I found a handy website that describes the threshold for automatic recounts in various jurisdictions in the United States.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/automatic-recount-thresholds.aspx

The most common automatic threshold seems to be 0.5%, although generally losing candidates can request one, providing they pay for it.  The money is refunded if they win.  The limit seems to be only one recount in every case, although that doesn't stop the election from getting tied up in the courts.  Notably, a few of them only do automatic recounts if there's a tie.

I have no idea how easy or difficult any of this would be to simulate in the game engine.  I figure maybe an automatic recount can be triggered if the result is within a certain margin, and maybe a candidate can request one if they still have a certain amount of cash on hand, but the court challenges are an entirely different beast, and I can't even imagine how that would play out in-game.