270soft Forum
MattyN

Feature You'd Most Like to See

1. Popular vote so I can do a congressional scenario (I know this is on the way).

2. Ranked-Choice-Voting, which could be done similarly to a 2-round system.

3. Ability to have someone drop out and run as an independent after losing primary.

4. A political spectrum that isn't "left-right", and instead something like the Nolan spectrum, which has the libertarian-authoritarian spectrum as well.  That way libertarians aren't listed as moderates, since we're not.

(Love the game already)

41 minutes ago, TheFlame8 said:

1. Popular vote so I can do a congressional scenario (I know this is on the way).

2. Ranked-Choice-Voting, which could be done similarly to a 2-round system.

3. Ability to have someone drop out and run as an independent after losing primary.

4. A political spectrum that isn't "left-right", and instead something like the Nolan spectrum, which has the libertarian-authoritarian spectrum as well.  That way libertarians aren't listed as moderates, since we're not.

(Love the game already)

The Nolan spectrum wouldn't be applicable to all scenarios (especially fan-made - then again, neither is the modern view of left-right politics). Maybe some flexibility in the terminology instead of just wholesale changing from spectrum to another across the board.

Election Night:

Rather than having the states flip-flopping between Dems and Republicans on the U.S. map, only colour it in when it has been called. Perhaps a special graphic or pop-up could appear when each state is called for a candidate? 

@TheFlame8

Adding a 2D issue position map, where the campaign designer can decide the names of the axes, wouldn't be that difficult. Each issue position would then have to set to some value for each axis.

On 4/28/2017 at 3:25 PM, admin_270 said:

@TheFlame8

Adding a 2D issue position map, where the campaign designer can decide the names of the axes, wouldn't be that difficult. Each issue position would then have to set to some value for each axis.

That would be awesome!  

20 hours ago, TheFlame8 said:

That would be awesome!  

The I could finally (assuming this mechanism expanded to PMI and CI, and wasn't JUST for PI) do my long cherished England 1640 election, with a Royalist vs. Parliamentarian axis (as, frankly, both the Cavaliers and Roundheads were EXTREMEY and HARDCORE right-wing by modern standards of politics).

It's been brought up before but I'd love to see a better election night. For instance, states would get called once the result there becomes very likely (possibly on the top bar). States where there is a lead but not a call could be coloured in the lightest shade for the party, so light red states are Republican leads and light blue Democrat leads.

This could also be good for Prime Minister Infinity - the ability to see the constituency calls as they come in would be nice.

One suggestion I would have for PMI in particular would be a mass selected deletion option for organisation, footsoldiers, polling, etc. If you are playing as a minor party, you need to cut organisational strength in a large number of constituencies if you want to be able to put the resources into those seats you actually have a decent chance of winning, but  right now that just means trawling through literally hundreds of constituencies at the beginning of each game and cancelling it manually. 

On 01/05/2017 at 11:01 PM, Bjornhattan said:

It's been brought up before but I'd love to see a better election night. For instance, states would get called once the result there becomes very likely (possibly on the top bar). States where there is a lead but not a call could be coloured in the lightest shade for the party, so light red states are Republican leads and light blue Democrat leads.

This could also be good for Prime Minister Infinity - the ability to see the constituency calls as they come in would be nice.

I think this is a great idea - I'd love to see an enhanced election night just as you describe!

Fingers crossed :)

Still waiting on a PR feature for PMI ;) I wanna make my dutch elections scenario :(

Can we get exit polls after the release of the popular vote second round feature?

Exit polls aren't really common in the US or atleast aren't as notable but they are in France, Austria, Brazil, etc.

4 minutes ago, wolves said:

Can we get exit polls after the release of the popular vote second round feature?

Exit polls aren't really common in the US or atleast aren't as notable but they are in France, Austria, Brazil, etc.

Exit polls are definitely used in the US and are a major source of post-election information on how people voted, and are thoroughly analyzed. My guess is that exit polls will be added to the game when voting blocs are added.

Just now, SirLagsalott said:

Exit polls are definitely used in the US and are a major source of post-election information on how people voted, and are thoroughly analyzed. My guess is that exit polls will be added to the game when voting blocs are added.

By exit polls, I'm talking about estimation of the results.

Just now, wolves said:

By exit polls, I'm talking about estimation of the results.

Okay. They are used for both. And they are definitely used in the US.

1 minute ago, SirLagsalott said:

Okay. They are used for both. And they are definitely used in the US.

You're gonna have to excuse me but exit polls in the USA are only used in conjuction with early results to determine the actual result.

Which is much different than what I'm talking about.

1 minute ago, wolves said:

You're gonna have to excuse me but exit polls in the USA are only used in conjuction with early results to determine the actual result.

Which is much different than what I'm talking about.

I actually live in the USA and exit polls are used both for early predictions but also for a detailed rundown on how different groups voted.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

Just now, SirLagsalott said:

I actually live in the USA and exit polls are used both for early predictions but also for a detailed rundown on how different groups voted.

I know what you're talking about but in the 2014 senate elections, 2008 and 2012 I distinctly remember them estimating the results based on exit polls and early results.

They never mentioned exit polls in 2016 for states which was weird.

It doesn't really debunk my point that in places like Brazil, exit polls are used much more effectively, e.g. as soon as polls close, they have a countdown and announce the winner by exit poll.

Just now, wolves said:

I know what you're talking about but in the 2014 senate elections, 2008 and 2012 I distinctly remember them estimating the results based on exit polls and early results.

It doesn't really debunk my point that in places like Brazil, exit polls are used much more effectively, e.g. as soon as polls close, they have a countdown and announce the winner by exit poll.

I can't speak for Brazil. But there were definitely exit polls in the United States in 2016 and they were certainly used and analyzed. Maybe in the UK they didn't care much about the US exit polls but they did here. I linked you to one of them.

2 hours ago, wolves said:

The reason they don't immediately declare a winner in US Presidential elections is probably because of the Florida debacle in 2000. If you call a state and then the call is wrong, everyone blames the media and then they look bad, and no one wants that.

We definitely use exit polling though, just not to determine an immediate result.

The difference is that exit polls are not very accurate in the US compared to foreign countries.

The first exit poll for North Carolina was 6 points in Clinton's favor.  Other states such as Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin also had polls in favor of Clinton.  I can't remember which channel that was though.

1 hour ago, Bruce Fischer said:

We definitely use exit polling though, just not to determine an immediate result.

Exit polling to guess results is used in cases where the victor is almost certain. For example, when polls closed in Vermont they declared that Clinton won immediately because it was so far out of the margin of error of exit polls. But they probably are more hesitant here than in other countries.

1 minute ago, SirLagsalott said:

Exit polling to guess results is used in cases where the victor is almost certain. For example, when polls closed in Vermont they declared that Clinton won immediately because it was so far out of the margin of error of exit polls. But they probably are more hesitant here than in other countries.

Ah yes, Vermont. The same thing happened with the Senate race here in MD. Chris Van Hollen was up by almost a million votes by 8:30PM, in a state of 6 million people. :P