270soft Forum
MattyN

Feature You'd Most Like to See

Good idea. Only problem though is Romney would win all the Corporate $$$... It is a great idea, but it would be hard to give all the candidates a fair playing field...

Perhaps another trait candidates should have is "Corporate Friendship". The higher that number, the more money they get from Corporate and PAC fundinding or whatever.

• Upvote 3

Good idea. Only problem though is Romney would win all the Corporate $$$... It is a great idea, but it would be hard to give all the candidates a fair playing field...

But in real life, the corporate money is going to Gov. Mitt Romney. Elections are never on a fair playing field in terms of money.

• Upvote 3

Certainly, but it is important to make sure the candidates all have reasonable shot at the money... at least some shot... Romney should have the edge...but it shouldn't be impossible for other candidates to get a chance at the money...

But in real life, the corporate money is going to Gov. Mitt Romney. Elections are never on a fair playing field in terms of money.

• Upvote 5

If a candidate has the same views as the friend, they should have a chance, but the person who is most likely to win will probably get money.

• Upvote 2

Election Night

In PM4E, the timing of the declaration of the results is determined by the time details that appear for each region in the region variable file under the section

// time polling occurs, EST

// 2400 clock

When I create a scenario and set the time for a particular region to declare as 0106, at the end of the game, that result comes out at "5:06 AM EST"

(oddly, when the result is queing, it is listed as to be declared at 5:06 PM EST)

Is it possible for me to correct this feature so that the time declared comes out as 0106?

Is it possible to change the time from EST to GMT for instance?

If so, how do I do it?

If not, can the ability to do this become a future feature?

Sometimes, when I have set the declaration times, I find that for some reason, on election night, a gap of about 12 hours appears between results.

Are there a set of guidelines that you could post to help me work through these problems?

Which PM4E are you working with?

Election Night

In PM4E, the timing of the declaration of the results is determined by the time details that appear for each region in the region variable file under the section

// 2400 clock

When I create a scenario and set the time for a particular region to declare as 0106, at the end of the game, that result comes out at "5:06 AM EST"

(oddly, when the result is queing, it is listed as to be declared at 5:06 PM EST)

Is it possible for me to correct this feature so that the time declared comes out as 0106?

If so, how do I do it?

Sometimes, when I have set the declaration times, I find that for some reason, on election night, a gap of about 12 hours appears between results.

Are there a set of guidelines that you could post to help me work through these problems?

Which PM4E are you working with?

Not the new one

Which game in particular (PM4E Canada 2008, PM4E British 2010, ..)?

British Version 1.00.6

Improvements for the Prez 2012...so it will be better than 2008...

1.) Vice Presidential Interviews

2.) Vice Presdiential Issue Familarity (Palin could have used it)

3.) Meet and Greet Activity (Obama does that alot)

4.) MORE ENDORSERS

5.) Speeches that can cite the candidate's leadership, integrity, experience, and issue familarity. That was McCain's big speaking point in 2008, his experience compared to Obama.

6.) Campaign Loans

• Upvote 3

I know I've said something similar before, but playing the 2012 beta scenario has reaffirmed my views on this. There needs to be a way to set expected performances in certain primary states, like Iowa or New Hampshire so that if one candidate performs far better than expected, it's a boost, or does poorly when they should've done well they take a massive hit. Ex.: I played as Huntsman in 2012, coming in a close second to Cain in Iowa. I got nothing for coming from near dead last to second when I really should've gotten a boost.

Also, there should be a way to link certain candidates that are off by default to other candidates so that if a certain candidate drops out, the off by default one can join the race. This would make scenarios like 1968 more realistic. LBJ drops out, Humphrey joins in.

Thanks for the feedback - noted.

I know I've said something similar before, but playing the 2012 beta scenario has reaffirmed my views on this. There needs to be a way to set expected performances in certain primary states, like Iowa or New Hampshire so that if one candidate performs far better than expected, it's a boost, or does poorly when they should've done well they take a massive hit. Ex.: I played as Huntsman in 2012, coming in a close second to Cain in Iowa. I got nothing for coming from near dead last to second when I really should've gotten a boost.

Also, there should be a way to link certain candidates that are off by default to other candidates so that if a certain candidate drops out, the off by default one can join the race. This would make scenarios like 1968 more realistic. LBJ drops out, Humphrey joins in.

I agree with 2. in particular, but more generally (VPs with Leadership, Experience, IF, Integrity).

Improvements for the Prez 2012...so it will be better than 2008...

1.) Vice Presidential Interviews

2.) Vice Presdiential Issue Familarity (Palin could have used it)

3.) Meet and Greet Activity (Obama does that alot)

4.) MORE ENDORSERS

5.) Speeches that can cite the candidate's leadership, integrity, experience, and issue familarity. That was McCain's big speaking point in 2008, his experience compared to Obama.

6.) Campaign Loans

There's no way I know of to change EST to GMT, say. Request is noted.

For the 1:06 am issue, have you tried setting the time to 106 instead of 0106?

Election Night

// 2400 clock

If so, how do I do it?

There's no way I know of to change EST to GMT, say. Request is noted.

For the 1:06 am issue, have you tried setting the time to 106 instead of 0106?

Thanks

and I'll give it a try.

• Upvote 1

When playing my first theoryspark game, I noticed that the interface/graphics are horribly outdated; it feels like I'm playing something that was made in the mid-nineties. Each subsequent release has made slight improvements, but still looks awful.

A drastic overhaul of the visuals would be a worthwhile investment, due to increased sales. I've shown this game to a few of my politically-inclined friends, and they refused to buy it because "it looks like the Oregon Trail".

The content is golden, it just needs to look more pretty.

On an unrelated note, I found a typo in PM4E2011. The first news story says "Harper to Governor General's -- Election Begins". The apostrophe-s after General should not be there.

When playing my first theoryspark game, I noticed that the interface/graphics are horribly outdated; it feels like I'm playing something that was made in the mid-nineties. Each subsequent release has made slight improvements, but still looks awful.

A drastic overhaul of the visuals would be a worthwhile investment, due to increased sales. I've shown this game to a few of my politically-inclined friends, and they refused to buy it because "it looks like the Oregon Trail".

The content is golden, it just needs to look more pretty.

On an unrelated note, I found a typo in PM4E2011. The first news story says "Harper to Governor General's -- Election Begins". The apostrophe-s after General should not be there.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the visuals. The game is what it is - a numbers game. It doesn't need flashy graphics or tacky animations. It is, was, and always will be, about the numbers. The layout is fine for all of that. This game has never been about the looks. It's just about the numbers, and the best way to present them.

Frankly, and this is just my personal opinion, if your friends are as into politics as they claim, then how shallow do they have to be to turn down a game like this because it doesn't have flashy visuals?

• Upvote 2

Agreed. What do they expect? Its not like this is XBOX Kinnect. You don't control the speaker's emotions and actually give the speeches yourself. That would be horrifyingly hard and stressful.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the visuals. The game is what it is - a numbers game. It doesn't need flashy graphics or tacky animations. It is, was, and always will be, about the numbers. The layout is fine for all of that. This game has never been about the looks. It's just about the numbers, and the best way to present them.

Frankly, and this is just my personal opinion, if your friends are as into politics as they claim, then how shallow do they have to be to turn down a game like this because it doesn't have flashy visuals?

• Upvote 3

Agreed. What do they expect? Its not like this is XBOX Kinnect. You don't control the speaker's emotions and actually give the speeches yourself. That would be horrifyingly hard and stressful.

That would be hilarious haha.

Although... there is something to that.

If you do a speech the day new polls come out, and you've gained a lot of ground, then your character would no doubt be in quite a good mood, so their speech might be full of fire and flare, and ultimately be more effective. While on the other hand, if the polls just went very bad for you, you're demotivated, and feeling down, and any speech will just look sour or desperate.

There's something to think about.

• Upvote 2

Yeah. I like your idea about moods and flare.

I'm still chuckling about an XBox Kinnect Version... Haha, your body controls the candidate's body... it would be fun to see how the newsnetworks would react to a candidate running off the stage and thumping a few spectators... XD ... Too bad Kinnect won't show facial emotions...

Although... there is something to that.

If you do a speech the day new polls come out, and you've gained a lot of ground, then your character would no doubt be in quite a good mood, so their speech might be full of fire and flare, and ultimately be more effective. While on the other hand, if the polls just went very bad for you, you're demotivated, and feeling down, and any speech will just look sour or desperate.

There's something to think about.

• Upvote 2

Yeah. I like your idea about moods and flare.

I'm still chuckling about an XBox Kinnect Version... Haha, your body controls the candidate's body... it would be fun to see how the newsnetworks would react to a candidate running off the stage and thumping a few spectators... XD ... Too bad Kinnect won't show facial emotions...

No! No! No! Not XBox Kinnect is annoying!

• Upvote 4

Good grief!!!! I'm just joking! :blink:

I'm just saying it would be hilarious if it were a reality! Alfonzo's ideas however were pretty neat. I'd note them if I were the 270Admin.

No! No! No! Not XBox Kinnect is annoying!

• Upvote 4

- An option to designate a state as a swing state. This way you don't see states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, & Florida being declared solidly red/blue by mid-September despite the percentages being set even in the scenario. This option would keep those states competitive through at least mid-October and give them more media coverage.

- POTUS approval ratings. These would affect the incumbent party. Also, the option to designate a candidate as the incumbent President as well.

- Default state labels. Similar to the swing state option, it would save time when setting up scenarios if I could just check the solid red states as "red" and the solid blue states "blue" and then set the swing states without having to mess with the numbers in each state.

- Ability to decide which party has the majority in Congress and how large a majority it is. In case of a tie in the electoral college.

- Key events that bring specific issues into the forefront. For example: a school shooting brings gun control into the campaign as a major issue where it may not have been before. OWS protests at the convention bring income inequality to the forefront, etc.

- Allow us to actually participate in the debates and select answers for each question.

• Upvote 1

- POTUS approval ratings. These would affect the incumbent party. Also, the option to designate a candidate as the incumbent President as well.

By the time the election is in full swing, the polls themselves are pretty much the approval ratings. If the president is polling high, it would be reasonable to assume their approval ratings are good (or getting better), if the president is suffering, you would assume their approval ratings are equally as such. They would pretty much just store the same information as polls, and add more computational burden to the program.

• Upvote 1