270soft Forum
MattyN

Feature You'd Most Like to See

What about VPOTUS candidates? Are they being expanded to include more detail than just +1 on a certain attribute?

Yes, we could know more about then, specially their views. Could happen ocasionally that the VP contradicts the candidate's position, and therefore the candidate loses some momentum. Or at least they could make more atributes that could get +1, and the running-mate could even make some decrease. For example: Cheney would add Issue Familiarity and Experience to Bush, but reduce Integrity and Stamina.

• Upvote 1

Yes, we could know more about then, specially their views. Could happen ocasionally that the VP contradicts the candidate's position, and therefore the candidate loses some momentum. Or at least they could make more atributes that could get +1, and the running-mate could even make some decrease. For example: Cheney would add Issue Familiarity and Experience to Bush, but reduce Integrity and Stamina.

Also VP debates is a good idea.

It is true that they can contradict each others views, and also though that if the POTUS candidate has a view unpopular for his party, the VPOTUS candidate an balance it out (like the GOP on the west wing)

• Upvote 1

Hey

I don't know if it has been mentioned on here before, but a great option would be to toggle between electoral vote and a simple vote tally to decide the winner. This would be really helpful in scenarios for election other than president, such as senate or governor, in which the map ought to be divided into regions to make the campaign interesting, but the end result is based on individual rather than electoral votes.

• Upvote 1

After you win the election, I would like to see, the Candidates Inaguration, and you get to write your own inagural address. Then this could be followed by what the candiate did in the White House, like wheather there legistive affairs got past congress. It would be good also if they added results from Congress and the Senate seeming thought the elections are held on the same day. Also if a candidates health levels go down to nothing the candidate should be temperalory not available from campaigning. I would also like to see Vice Presidential Debates, and more crusaders with more of an effect. Conrad <_<

• Upvote 1

I was thinking about what Election Night is like in real life and how on President Forever it's really boring.

In Real life you don't get the results instantly for each state when the polls close, so what if you could gradually see each states totals come in over an hour or so. So for, example, those states that are "white" just before election day you could click on a state and see a candidate leading, then 30 mins later the other candidate is winning.

Also, each state doesn't come in one at a time, so what if groups of states totals come in as their polls close. So on real election night at 9:00 EST you chould see a dozen or so results come in gradually (click on each state to see who is winning in that group. Next at 10 EST you chould see a dozen or so results come in gradually (click on each state to see who is winning in that group. etc....

I hope that makes sense lol

and oh one more thing,

Also, in light of President Forever Primaries, Party Conventions should be incorporated.

Name the new game feature idea you've had or seen that you'd most like to see adopted into the game here.

Or, name your top 5.

Remembering a saying about the Iowa Caucus, "There are three tickets out of Iowa." How about that is included in the game as lower power news story about the candidates with the second and third place showings?

One story would be 5 Hillary wins Iowa and the second story would be 3 Warner and Edwards take second and third

Also, how about news stories for comebacks like Kerry in '04

Oh hell, just make an entire game for the Iowa Caucus!

This probably shouldn't be a high priority, but I'd strongly suggest making either a scenario editor or a series of small programs to use in editing the files in the scenario folder. The Parties, Percentages, and Electoral Units files are particularly intimidating for modders. If something like the constituency editor for PM4E was made for each file though, it would make scenario creation a lot easier, and I think we'd start to see custom scenarios made for this game.

• Upvote 1

Here's an idea! How about if you lose your parties nomination you get an option to run as an independent! Like John B. Anderson in 1980! That's only an idea peoples.

• Upvote 1

Here's an idea! How about if you lose your parties nomination you get an option to run as an independent! Like John B. Anderson in 1980! That's only an idea peoples.
They say they're planning to include that at a later date.
  • Upvote 1

I'd say a candidate editor should be #1 right now. The 2008 scenario has been overtaken by events, and could use some tweaking. A candidate editor would give this game a lot more replayability.

Other scenario editing tools would be great later on, but the basic candidate editor shouldn't wait for them.

• Upvote 1

Actually getting to participate in the debates would be great, maybe something like President Elect in chosing how much time to spend on each question/response.

Exit polls would be cool.

Special Events in states like a party scandal in that state(i.e. Foley).

• Upvote 1

Liberal UK has some good ideas.

Based on my own observations (mainly from PF), I'd like to add...

1. I would also like to see the candidate's platform affect the starting percentages in states going into the general election, so that it's not entirely dependent upon the party affiliation, e.g. a Pro-Choice Republican should have slightly lower support in state like Kansas.

2. It doesn't appear that primary performance in state affects the starting percentage in the state. Primary popularity (to a very small extent) should carry over into the general election. This might make it more interesting playing a 3rd Party candidate. One idea would be to make the primary performance impact Committed Voters.

3. Also candidates should get a bigger bonus in their home state primaries.

• Upvote 1

2. It doesn't appear that primary performance in state affects the starting percentage in the state. Primary popularity (to a very small extent) should carry over into the general election. This might make it more interesting playing a 3rd Party candidate. One idea would be to make the primary performance impact Committed Voters.

The earlier versions of P4EP had this, and it didn't really work out well. You'd have stuff happen like Massachusetts being a solidly Republican state while Alabama was a swing state, and it wasn't very realistic.

The earlier versions of P4EP had this, and it didn't really work out well. You'd have stuff happen like Massachusetts being a solidly Republican state while Alabama was a swing state, and it wasn't very realistic.

You would have to scale the primary influence to a small percentage (2 to 5%?).

Another way is that you could also change the Committed % to show how firm the candidate's support was in the primary. This change wouldn't impact the initial percentages much in the General Election but could have an effect as the final 8 weeks of campaign unfolded.

Once you have the lock on the nomination, I'd like to see all the opposing candidates to either withdraw or rally behind the new leader. I doubt the RNC or DNC would allow anyone to keep trashing the party's candidate for the general election. The game should switch to general election mode at this point for that party

• Upvote 1

Just a few thoughts:

Id really like to see better coverage of primary elections...zoom in so the state covers the map area, with the candidate pictures on the bottom, similar to coverage of the general. I imagine this would be difficult to do, so perhaps just for key primaries like New Hampshire, California, New Jersey, Illinois etc.

Be able to give more than one speech per topic... should be unlimited.

Make the pre-election office of the candidate important. For example Governors have a better shot than a Senator to get elected, and the Senator in turn has a better shot than a congressman.

More accurate regionalism - for example a New England Governor should get a bonus in the other 5 NE states

Speeches and ads on issues should gradually raise their importance. If all the candidates talk about is education, it could quickly become a major issue

Winner of the New Hampshire Primary should get a bigger bump in the polls.

Similar to Crusaders, you should be able to hire a loyal campaign staff... give them attributes like carisma, loyalty, intelligence... etc.

Give the VP candidate a bigger role - the ability to give speeches, more attributes, greater support to the ticket in home region (not just his state). The ability to let the computer manage the VP... sometimes I get so tied up with the top of the ticket I forget to move the VP... the option should be there to let the computer do it... possible hire a campaign manager - depending on how much money your willing to spend, the better the computer manages the campaign.

Make it so the congress does not necessarily go along party lines - i played as a center-right independant, won 230 electorial votes, the democrat got 100 and something, and the republican only got 80 something, and the congress choose the republican. I dont beleive this would happen - the fall out of denying the winner of both the popular and electorial votes the presidency would be too great for a republican congress.

Religion needs to be part of the game. Imagine if a devot Catholic Democrat from Georgia ran against an athestic liberal-republican from Maryland - the political map be upside down. The Christian right needs to have an endorsment, as do pro-life and pro-choice action groups.

More detailed candidate information. The title should be from a drop down list, you should be able to creat a sort of resume - for instance 3 four year terms in the PA state legislatur 86, 90, 94, three two year term in the House 96, 98, 00, one 2 year term as speaker of the house 00, one 6 year term as senator 02 - 08... etc. Let that decide your experience. What I think would be really nice is once you have your "resume" created have the computer ask how you voted on a few key bills... could have a serious impact on your campaign... just an idea - doubt its possible.

Be able to accept or decline donations. Have organization approach candidates with support. For instance, have a major toacco company offer support - taking the money can help your campaign, but there could be negative fallout for taking money from that organization

choose when your candidate enters the election - some candidates dont enter until after the New Hampshire Primary, or declare their candidacy just before the NH filling deadline.

during the primaries, have the option of not being on the ballot on certain states - for instance John Edwards choose not to be on the ballot in NH, thinking he didnt have a chance - saved some money but in retrospect may have cost him the nomination. Could make it so being on the ballot in each states cost a little money - the more options and choices are available in the game the more interesting it will be.

It should be very difficult for candidates with view points outside the "party-line" to get their parties nomination - a democrate against abortion, a republican in favour of universal health care or against school vouchers.

Candidates with extreme positions should automaticly issolate a large portion of the electorate. For instance, I created myself as a candidate, I am far-left on education and healthcare, and center-right on most things. I am conciderably right-wing in regards to abortion, same sexmarrige and stemcells... yet I won the election with 450 electorial votes! The election was a walk... a great amount of debate should have came up, yet didnt.

In a situation when the president is not running for re-election, for example in 08 senario,the incumbant party should be able to move the President around similar to the Candidate and the VP Candidate... even if they are only allowed to have 1 event a week it could be a big advantage or a huge liability to have the president on your campaign.

There should be extremly rare events that could potentially sink a campaign... for example (and this is off the top of my head) a candidate is strongly in favour of allowing canadian perscription drugs into the us, then it comes out they were made badly and 100 people die of complications - this would effectivly blow a sure to win election out of the water. Obviously a better senario is possible, but I this needs to happen very rarely, and then even if it occurs should only have a massive impact if one of the candidates have the right stance on a certain issue.

Make a candidates age and health an issue. Make it possible for a candidate to die on the campaign trail, ads and speeches attacking the candidates health.

Dirty Campaigning - have the option to buy votes, stuff ballot boxes, hire assassins, conseal health problems and make up scandles on their opponents... all of which should have a horrible impact on the campaign if it comes out that they were behind it.

Be able to govern, help with the midterms, appoint a cabinet, and decide to run for re-election.

the game should take up the whole computer screen - not just a third of it

during election night you should be able to call your opponent and conceed

These are just some ideas off the top of my head... i doubt theyre any good, or for that matter possible.

• Upvote 1

In the screen where you decide which states to make an ad buy in, I'd like the option to buy in all states included in your strategy (either general or primary depending on which mode you're in). If that isn't possible, at least I'd like to be able to view my strategy screen from the media buy page, as opposed to either writing it down beforehand, or having to switch back and forth.

Thanks,

David

In the screen where you decide which states to make an ad buy in, I'd like the option to buy in all states included in your strategy (either general or primary depending on which mode you're in). If that isn't possible, at least I'd like to be able to view my strategy screen from the media buy page, as opposed to either writing it down beforehand, or having to switch back and forth.

Thanks,

David

You can already do this by clicking on the horse head.

In the old President Forever, the screen used to choose where ads ran was split between non-strategy and strategy states, and also showed the % amount that the player's candidate was ahead or behind in each state. It would be nice if this screen was implemented in President Forever Primaries.