270soft Forum
MattyN

Feature You'd Most Like to See

Possible in-game feature.

President Infinity is by far one of the best election simulators known. The amount of realism in the game is absolutely incredible. It would be awesome if we could add more small features to make this game even better! 

My Idea: Recounts

I believe that adding recounts into the game would step up its realism to the max. My idea is that if you are a candidate and you fall in the threshold percent in certain states, you should have the option to call for a 'recount' in that state, multiple states, or even nationwide. I know I don't have much information on how it'll work in the game, however, that's why I've brought it to the forum!

I'd love to hear feedback!

I like the idea of recounts, just a matter of figuring out how to mesh it with existing game concepts. The recent Florida recount is another example, and of course there's 2000. We'll see.

18 hours ago, Sebconner said:

Possible in-game feature.

President Infinity is by far one of the best election simulators known. The amount of realism in the game is absolutely incredible. It would be awesome if we could add more small features to make this game even better! 

My Idea: Recounts

I believe that adding recounts into the game would step up its realism to the max. My idea is that if you are a candidate and you fall in the threshold percent in certain states, you should have the option to call for a 'recount' in that state, multiple states, or even nationwide. I know I don't have much information on how it'll work in the game, however, that's why I've brought it to the forum!

I'd love to hear feedback!

57 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I like the idea of recounts, just a matter of figuring out how to mesh it with existing game concepts. The recent Florida recount is another example, and of course there's 2000. We'll see.

I've often wondered about these recounts. If recounts can be demanded until they are no longer within a certain margin of closeness, the numbers would actually have to be CHANGED at some point if the REAL result was actually that close. There would have to be deliberate jiggering of the numbers. Isn't that, by nature, a form of electoral fraud, corruption, and malfeasance at some level?

I don't think anyone's mentioned this idea before - my apologies in advance if it's been brought up.

But I would really like to have campaign debts implemented in-game, if there are no plans to do so already.

As it is now, when you run out of money, you can't run ads, set up events or do anything else that costs money, accompanied by a "X's Campaign Out Of Funds!" negative headline (side note - this headline only seems to show up once, even if you run out of money multiple times.  Not sure if this is intentional). 

It would be a neat idea if you could go into the negative with money - as campaigns often do - and still run ads, etc. with the understanding that the vendors will be paid back after the election.  Perhaps a news story could be generated, too.

My thinking is your final score could be adjusted on this basis, with a bonus/penalty depending on whether or not you went into debt, and if so, how much. 

In general, perhaps your cash on hand could be factored in to your score at the end of every election - so if you won being frugal, you'd get more of a bonus than if you spent all your money.  I was thinking this would also be a good idea, even if campaign debts can't be done.

Perhaps something about grassroots funding?  NBC is reporting that for 2020 (link here) "criteria for presidential candidates to qualify for the debates... would be based on polling and grassroots fundraising, though he declined to offer specific thresholds".

I have no ideas for how such a game mechanic would work.  Perhaps a campaign would have to have purchase resources donated to seeking small donor money or have advertising dedicated to the "issue" of small donations.  But having such a mechanic might help model candidate campaigns like Dean 2004 or Sanders 2016.  (It could also generate some headlines, "<Candidate> Popular With Grassroots Donors".

On 11/26/2018 at 2:39 PM, admin_270 said:

I'm not familiar with various jurisdictions' rules on this, but my guess is most have a limit on number of recount requests.

Most states have an automatic recount if the margin is either less than 1%(such as my state in South Carolina) or .5%(In Florida).