270soft Forum
MattyN

Feature You'd Most Like to See

5 hours ago, SiorafasNaCillini said:

Y'know how on the map it'll show the region name? The words in the region name can only be side by side going from left to right but if in the scenario editor you could put the words in the region name one under the other as well it would help when adding new regions so the names of nearby regions don't run into each other. 

I'd prefer it myself if the names only showed when I clicked on a region.

11 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Now I understand what you're saying. As an alternative, you can use abbreviations, which are what are displayed.

That's what I'm doing at the moment for my upcoming scenario.

2 hours ago, SiorafasNaCillini said:

That's what I'm doing at the moment for my upcoming scenario.

Which scenario is that?

3 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Which scenario is that?

British general election of 1964. It's taken me over a month so far what with being sick and adding regions. Last month there was something going around in the first week and only a week after I kicked that another infection was going around and I got that then. I got better a few days ago.

6 minutes ago, SiorafasNaCillini said:

British general election of 1964. It's taken me over a month so far what with being sick and adding regions. Last month there was something going around in the first week and only a week after I kicked that another infection was going around and I got that then. I got better a few days ago.

I wish you luck.

46 minutes ago, SiorafasNaCillini said:

Are you basing your map, with some tweaks here and there, on Display Name's old 1922 map, out of curiosity?

8 hours ago, Patine said:

Are you basing your map, with some tweaks here and there, on Display Name's old 1922 map, out of curiosity?

No; on the official 2017 map. This means the constituencies will be in this or that region based on today's boundaries for the sake of simplicity as I don't think I could adjust the map to make the counties as they were back then and in some cases a constituency would have been in 2 different ones of the current regions. That of course is an anachronism but would mean the map will do for scenarios that come after the 1974 boundary changes. The map of mine ain't pretty but I like the level of detail it adds. 

@admin_270

Speaking of veeps, what about allowances for campaigns with running mates, such as for French, Polish, Ukrainian, Russian (after 1991), and other foreign Presidential elections outside the U.S., the Philippines, Liberia, and many Latin American countries, really, or many of the State Gubernatorial election where the Lieutenant Governor is not at all a running mate, but elected completely separately, and I THINK two states in New England still don't even have the office but have a different rule of Gubernatorial succession, if I recall?

Looking back to 2004, when this thread began, there are loads of suggestions (most of which have been implemented over the past 13 years) but there are a few that I saw while going through that I liked the idea of:

Network play

Recounts

More "dirty politics" options

Assassination (toggled on or off, as that may be a bit far-fetched)

Regional momentum (for example the Civil Rights Act being signed into law may help President Johnson in the north, but hurt him in the south)

Breaking states down into counties/congressional districts

Related to that, splitting electoral votes based on congressional districts

If you lose the nomination running as an independent/third party (e.g John Anderson, Teddy Roosevelt)

Incumbency features (although I think this has been confirmed)

Candidates health (If their health drops too low, then they have to take a break) Could also cause issues like it did for Clinton in 2016

State calls and projections (I would suggest basing this partly on the system on the current build of PMI)

Exit polls (that could work for PMI as well)

Party conventions having more weight (choosing the keynote speaker ect.)

Campaign staff, in the same vein as crusaders surrogates, with attributes.

More detailed candidate information. The title should be from a drop down list, you should be able to creat a sort of resume - for instance 3 four year terms in the PA state legislatur 86, 90, 94, three two year term in the House 96, 98, 00, one 2 year term as speaker of the house 00, one 6 year term as senator 02 - 08... etc. Let that decide your experience. What I think would be really nice is once you have your "resume" created have the computer ask how you voted on a few key bills... could have a serious impact on your campaign... just an idea - doubt its possible.

Having endorsers/donations affect in ways more than momentum. E.g. taking money from tobacco companies may hurt you with some people and help you with others

Massive, extremely rare, campaign sinking scandals (Like Herman Cain, or Francois Fillion) In my edited 2016, Trump was hit by at least 5 serious scandals and still came second

Superdelegates

Interactive interviews

@Kauai's ideas for ads from 2008

State...

Banners/Yard signs [ Would take 4-5 days to plant, say, 20,000 ]

Poll Transportation [ Set cost ]

Make Calls

National...

Establish a Campaign Website

Having set dates for candidates to enter the campaign

Instead of having states flipping between colors, have them a colour (such as purple) that designates they are too close to call

Have a 'knockout' moment in debates dependent on candidate's debating score (e.g Reagan's "there you go again" and "are you better off", Brian Mulroney's "you had an option, sir"

Election night commentary (in text form)

Concession speech

In-depth debates

There are of course more, but that covers about 4 years of suggestions :P

@admin_270

Just now, LegolasRedbard said:

Looking back to 2004, when this thread began, there are loads of suggestions (most of which have been implemented over the past 13 years) but there are a few that I saw while going through that I liked the idea of:

Network play

Recounts

Regional momentum (for example the Civil Rights Act being signed into law may help President Johnson in the north, but hurt him in the south)

If you lose the nomination running as an independent/third party (e.g John Anderson, Teddy Roosevelt)

Candidates health (If their health drops too low, then they have to take a break) Could also cause issues like it did for Clinton in 2016

State calls and projections (I would suggest basing this partly on the system on the current build of PMI)

Having endorsers/donations affect in ways more than momentum. E.g. taking money from tobacco companies may hurt you with some people and help you with others

Massive, extremely rare, campaign sinking scandals (Like Herman Cain, or Francois Fillion) In my edited 2016, Trump was hit by at least 5 serious scandals and still came second

Superdelegates

Interactive interviews

State...

Make Calls

National...

Instead of having states flipping between colors, have them a colour (such as purple) that designates they are too close to call

Have a 'knockout' moment in debates dependent on candidate's debating score (e.g Reagan's "there you go again" and "are you better off", Brian Mulroney's "you had an option, sir"

Concession speech

In-depth debates

@admin_270

Also, candidates dropping out before the primaries would be nice

6 hours ago, LegolasRedbard said:

Network play

Recounts

Superdelegates

Interactive interviews

State...

Make Calls

National...

Concession speech

In-depth debates

@admin_270

This all sounds quite good, with one exception - I must reiterate my opposition to county/Congressional District polling, opinions, and results. The monumental increase in difficulty that could result for scenario designers, especially if the scenario were based on historical (or hypothetical future) US, a State, Territory/Commonwealth, DC, or City election, or a non-US election entirely, as well as just entering an entirely new level of complication for scenario design that may not pay off for the designer of the scenario plan.

More control on how the debates go, perhaps making you build a strategy for the beginning middle and end of the debate.