270soft Forum
MattyN

Feature You'd Most Like to See

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I agree @QuickHead555 i also would like county results

Please, stop saying county results. I hear this over and over. If county results were implemented, it would practically be a death knell to any meaningful fan made scenarios. I am a staunch opponent of this feature, as someone who far prefers playing and making fan made scenarios over the "default" scenario. County results would be a monstrous and counter-productive feature in the long-term, and for little gain, ultimately.

I mean, I want County Results, but I think it would have to be an option or something you can toggle on or off. That way it won't affect people who make scenarios.

@QH555,

Thanks for this feedback - noted.

@Reagan04 re counties,

Counties aren't planned. By congressional district might happen. NE and ME already have electoral college seats by CD. More generally, what would probably happen is a tertiary level would be introduced into President Infinity (similar to districts in Congress Infinity), and a campaign designer could decide to make this new level identical to the state level, or add in congressional districts, or counties, or whatever they wanted. We'll see.

If I wanted to make a scenario that had counties on it, would it be possible? Or would the counties be too small to click on? 

25 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

If I wanted to make a scenario that had counties on it, would it be possible? Or would the counties be too small to click on?

I believe, as of right now, the US has over 5000 counties (or equivalents, such as independent cities in Virginia and a few other states, parishes in Louisiana, organized boroughs and the unorganized area in Alaska, and the District of Columbia itself), so that should answer your question there...

Just now, Patine said:

I believe, as of right now, the US has over 5000 counties (or equivalents, such as independent cities in Virginia and a few other states, parishes in Louisiana, organized boroughs and the unorganized area in Alaska, and the District of Columbia itself), so that should answer your question there...

Lmao. Not that I was gonna make one. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

6 hours ago, Patine said:

The number of county/county equivalents/cities is 3,144 by the way.

15 minutes ago, lok1999 said:

The number of county/county equivalents/cities is 3,144 by the way.

It would still be basically impossible to realistically or practically do a county-based federal US election. My point still stands.

Not so much a feature, but can we make it easier to enter and edit polls?  If I need to edit, I have to scroll down through a list of 100 names to find the candidate I need to change.  Couldn't we just click on the polling window and enter a new number, or even import poll data from a CSV?  Having to constantly scroll up and down that list makes entering poll data a painstaking process

On 10/2/2016 at 4:44 PM, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Lmao. Not that I was gonna make one. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

On 10/2/2016 at 11:07 PM, Patine said:

It would still be basically impossible to realistically or practically do a county-based federal US election. My point still stands.

That gives me another idea - a way to zoom into the map perhaps?  This would also help when in momentum view.

15 minutes ago, servo75 said:

That gives me another idea - a way to zoom into the map perhaps?  This would also help when in momentum view.

It would still kill fan-made scenarios going forward if counties were a factor that had to be accounted for, ESPECIALLY if zoom-in features demanded county maps, making historical and non-US Presidential (that is, State Gubernatorial, Senatorial, City Mayoral, and foreign Presidential) near impossible, or at least ridiculously difficult and taxing, far moreseo than they should be.

Still I'd hate to be the one who has to draw that map :rolleyes:

I'd love to see a game where you actually ARE the president and have to run. The game could be endless and use the President Forever/Infinity UI. Maybe there could be modded moments/scenarios by fans but the main game can go continue on for years. 

@servo75

"Couldn't we just click on the polling window and enter a new number"

Do you mean click on the list box on the right side of the poll screen, that displays the already entered candidate %s for that poll?

3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

@servo75

"Couldn't we just click on the polling window and enter a new number"

Do you mean click on the list box on the right side of the poll screen, that displays the already entered candidate %s for that poll?

Yes that's what I meant.  As opposed to having to scroll through the entire list, we could click on "Trump  50%" to change the value directly

On 10/2/2016 at 11:07 PM, Patine said:

Exactly.  Especially with being unable to zoom in and click on the counties.  I know that even Congress Infinity gives me headaches with having to manage 435 regions.

Not a feature, but I'd like to request more user-friendly error handling.  There's nothing more frustrating than getting halfway through a game and getting that dreaded "Access Violation at..." message, then the game sort of crashes but the window stays open... and we have no idea what's going on.  Maybe catch the more common errors and have a message like "ERROR:  No candidate id found for Tim Smith." or "ERROR: Issue doesn't exist."

1 minute ago, servo75 said:

Not a feature, but I'd like to request more user-friendly error handling.  There's nothing more frustrating than getting halfway through a game and getting that dreaded "Access Violation at..." message, then the game sort of crashes but the window stays open... and we have no idea what's going on.  Maybe catch the more common errors and have a message like "ERROR:  No candidate id found for Tim Smith." or "ERROR: Issue doesn't exist."

That would be nice.

54 minutes ago, Patine said:

I will certainly agree with you both there...

Alternatively, implement some sort of log file that keeps track of events in the game (not the political events). Something like the following...

Started game...
Creating maps...
Loading issues...
* ERROR * UNABLE TO LOAD ISSUE "abortion" - missing image.

Today I was making some major updates to a campaign, then when testing it in a simulation, I suddenly got a crash message and had to go into Task Manager to close.  Couldn't figure out why.  After trial and error, I deleted the new campaign and started over, losing two hours worth of work.  I kept track of changes I made this time and after a long time, finally isolated the problem to something wrong with a new "Issue" I added to the campaign.  I still have no idea what was wrong with it, but I deleted the two new issues and now it works again.  But I have no idea why adding those campaign issues should cause the entire thing to crash with no explanation, requiring Ctrl-Alt-Delete.  Something like the above file would help us see why it's crashing and what we can do to correct it.  Mine was probably some teeny picky problem like a bad text character, but for the entire thing to crash with no explanation - IMHO I think that should be the first priority, even if other features need to wait.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I will certainly agree with you both there...

Finally something we can agree on.  Who says we can't come to consensus? :D