270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

1836 Election

This election is up. It's pretty interesting, since it's chaotic. JViking made the map.

Feedback desired.

Now that you're back, a question had come to mind, especially given the Whig strategy in this scenario to try to force a House of Representatives decision on the Presidency in 1836. In your take on the 1789 scenario, I can't remember how you had said you'd planned to manage candidates and parties, but a problem occurred to me. The First Congress was elected at the same time as the First President, and the last Continental Congress was effectively non-partisan in nature. How will you manage existing 'party majority' status for each state? I don't know if it's the case in PI, but I clearly recall from making scenarios in the day that if in P4E08 even a single state had no stated majority listed for a party participating in the scenario, the game crashed.

That's a really good question. I'll have to think about it when I get to that election. I hadn't really thought about that yet. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I may just have state notables for endorsers. The incumbent party for each state will be easy, since I plan on making the parties "President" and "Vice President". They'll all be "incumbent" for Washington, who will be mostly unopposed. He will competed with Franklin (what-if option) for 1788/1789. The VPs will all battle each other for the secondary slot.

I'll probably do this (if JViking can construct the map to do this) by splitting each state into two identical votes. One half of the state will only have Washington on the ballot. The second half will have everyone else. That way, Washington is "unanimous" (unless Franklin is ON) and the VPs all battle each other for the other half of the votes.