270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Update on 1868, 1864 and 1860 elections

I will make all three of these elections together before releasing them, because of the logistics involving the maps. This means you'll have to play around with the 1872-1956 elections for about a week or so.

Stay tuned.

For the 1864 election, will you make 2 of them. One with Tennessee and Louisiana in the election and one without?

I think for this 1864 election, I'll include them, but they won't have electoral votes, just as they didn't in real life. I could make a fictional 1864 election without the states in the future. I also plan on making a Confederate 1866 or 1867 what-if scenario at some point. Although, both of these will be way after I finish all the real scenarios.

Actually, in the real Confederate 1861 election, I am aware of at least one 'what-if' to Davis' unopposed run, as Howell Cobb was apparently mulling challenging Davis, but didn't make a decision before the hastily conducted election. It's also possible, I suppose, that Breckinridge and Yancey may have also eyed the (well, it wasn't the White House, but wherever the Confederate President lived). Also, some of the non-Democrats opposed to secession, like Bell or Houston, could theoretically have formed a party based on diplomatically reversing what they considered to be a bad idea. I know the election was called and held in a very short period after the country's constitution was even ratified, but it's something to consider.

For the two, I was thinking because they voted, but there electoral votes were ultimately disqualified, I meant if you would do one with Louisiana and Tennessee's electoral votes included(a fictional one of what if their electoral votes were not disqualified).

I think a Confederate election would be interesting. The date would have probably been November 1867 for that election. Also, would you consider a Confederate 1861 election with what if candidates?

@JViking

I could do that. From what I remember, Davis was provisionally appointed as President, and then they just kind of confirmed him in the role for the sake of expediency. However, that would be a fun scenario. I think the cool thing with 1867 would be the idea of reluctant abolitionist candidates. The US with much of Europe would have probably embargoed the South because of slavery, or even threatened it. The war proved to the South that Cotton wasn't king. Britain ended up getting Egyptian cotton rather than joining the war for the sake of cotton.

Update on these. Except for the maps, I've finished 1868 and 1864. The 1860 scenario is doing some awkward things that I'm trying to fix. All three scenarios will probably be sent to JViking tomorrow so he can make the maps for the scenarios. Stay tuned.

Still having problems getting 1860 to cooperate. The game doesn't like having the same in more than one party. It keeps erasing the region %s for some candidates. Trying to work around this annoyance.