270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jestor

Curious Situation - Not Sure If Bug

So two separate campaigns - a 2016 with Mike Huckabee and a 2008 with Wesley Clark.

2016, I win Iowa, then get hammered until Washington state, win most of the Super Tuesday states, and am clearly the front-runner. Suddenly, everyone starts dropping out and endorsing Bush, who is #2 behind me. The tidal wave of endorsements locks up the nomination for him, as it's too late to bounce back from the suddenly huge leads he has in every state.

2008, I win Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada, and again kill it on Super Tuesday. Again, I'm very much the front-runner. Same pattern repeats - everyone starts dropping out and endorsing Obama, who is #2 behind me. The endorsements again cause a huge tidal wave of states to all flip deep into his favor, and I go from looking like I'll secure the nomination with little trouble, to now we're pretty much guaranteed to have no nominee until the convention.

If this isn't a bug, I'd like to know the mechanics behind what's causing this to happen. I don't recall seeing this phenomenon before in previous versions. The Bush one I can understand - we were close enough that the flips clinched the nomination for him (even though I probably could have won the nomination myself without that rush of drop/endorse). The Obama one makes no sense at all to me, however.

Edit: In case it's not clear from the text, this is for President Infinity. Apologies - it wouldn't let me change the topic.

Aaand it happened again. Clinton has two debate meltdowns, so I move into the lead with Sanders, and guess what? Everyone starts endorsing Biden, who is in 2nd place.

I think I'm going to shelve this game until further notice. Too bad, as it's one of my favorites.

Do you ever try to get those endorsements(in the offers screen)?

Some candidates are not as willing to drop out as others. They will have a lower percentage chance that they will accept. When they get close to dropping out, I would check every turn to see if there is a positive percentage. If there is, then it is worth trying to get their endorsement. If there is someone with a lot of percentage but wants to drop out, use your pips on the candidate because if he endorses the second place candidate, then that will help that candidate a lot.

So I've noticed in my games. I'll try another one and monitor it more closely. I believe the last one, everyone was at -100 to -72, and then like 2-3 turns later, people started dropping out and endorsing Biden.

My Nikki Haley 2016 campaign went the same way - nailed down a bunch, but Bush got most of the endorsements - no one with a clear majority. Plus, I think endorsements are affected by relationships, which can be hurt by "stealing" states, running attack ads, etc.

Plus, sometimes the AI is just better planning long-term. I know I tend to get short-sighted around Super Tuesday. Of course the AI does, too, which is why I go for long shots just after ST.

Ya, relationship has a big part in endorsements. If you trash a candidates all the time, they will be less likely to endorse you.