270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

Virginia House of Burgesses 1619 - Could This Work?

I had a crazy idea for an off-the-wall CI scenario that would likely take a lot of extrapolation and filling in the blanks, as a lot of hard facts probably don't readily exist in modern record. It deals with the Colony of Virginia's House of Burgesses election in 1619, the first election of any sort of legislative body in the Western Hemisphere by European-style electoral traditions. I have the date it was elected, the constituencies' names (their borders are a bit iffy, though), and the members who were actually elected, as well as the total number of them (22). There were no obvious political parties at that time, so I'd likely divide them by general shared outlooks (some advice on groupings would be gladly appreciated). As I said, I don't know if this would actually work or not, but it might be fun to try. If it does work, some other extrapolatory scenarios I've often wanted to do could also be possible by similar formulas (like the 1640 English Parliament elections, which gave a majority to Henry Pym and Oliver Cromwell's Parliamentarian or "Roundhead" faction that proceeded to wage the English Civil Wars against Charles I), but we'll see about future plans in such a light at a later point. Any thoughts, anyone?

I need a bit of advice regarding the map to use. The original Virginia Company charter literally claimed as the territory of the Colony of Virginia initially almost the entire landmass of the modern Continental United States, from the Atlantic to the Pacific and most of the rest except Florida (which at that time Britain recognized Spain's claims to) and some other remote hinterlands, I kid you not. However, actual settled and held areas were only a small area around and inland from Jamestown Island, the first permanent settlement in the colony, of which no accurate map exists as of the time of the calling of the first House of Burgesses in 1619. Would you suggest I just wing it horribly, or use some general scheme or formula to set down a map?

Yeah, that would be cool. I'd like to make one for the Massachusetts Bay Colony, which is where many of my ancestors lived in the 1630s.

I actually have the flag of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in bitmap form on my hard-drive if you'd like it to potentially use for the region_images.

Though I still can't find an accurate map of the English-settled parts of Virginia as of 1619 yet, it seems it was VERY small. Really, only the peninsula dipping south into the James River that Jamestown was actually built on, and parts directly to the north, northwest, and northeast of it. It doesn't even seem that Williamsburg, the capital after the fire of 1699 burned down the colonial government buildings, that's very close by modern reckoning of distance to where Jamestown was, was even yet part of the English-settled area at that time. The map will likely be a major zoom-in job.

As for issues, I have a few ideas, but wouldn't mind a few suggestions:

-Powhatten Confederacy (the biggest external issue at the time)

-Tobacco Industry

-Religion

-Trans-Atlantic Supply Route

-Non-English European Colonists' Rights (the Polish, Slovak, and German skilled workers putting down their tools in protest of their treatment brought this to a head)

-House of Burgesses powers versus those of the Governor and his Council (still in VERY early stages, so probably no radical stances that early on)

-Taxation (mainly by whom and on whom)

-Indenturement (includes leanings to full slavery, which wasn't solidly codified in law yet)

Any other suggestions on issues, or any stances or permutations of the above would be most helpful.

Also, it seems all internal business transactions in the actual colony itself were, in practice, paid for in tobacco, even though the pound sterling was legal tender, it was almost never used. I'm not quite just how to translate a tobacco and other agricultural product-based economy to the TheorySpark games need for a set currency-based framework. Any ideas would be welcome.

An update, everyone. I've decided on three things to move forward on this. First, the map will only cover the Jamestown Peninsula and an area near it on the north bank of the James River; even though the Charter of the Virginia Company had a 'claim' to all of what is now the Continental US, from Atlantic to Pacific, except Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, and northern New England, but including southern Ontario and Quebec (very roughly speaking), as well as Bermuda, this claim was very similar to the Treaty of Tordesillas in a roughly contemporary period, where Spain and Portugal 'divided' the whole world outside Europe between them with the blessing of the Vatican - neither claims were substantiated with presence or really enforceable. Second, I'm just going to use the English flag (St. George's Cross) for region images, as all accounts seem to indicate that that was the flag flown over the colony in 1619. And third, I'll likely have to come up with a good way to fudge on elector numbers, historically losing candidates, and 'parties' (which will likely just be opinion or idealogical blocs with no formal structure), but I have some ideas on how to do that.