270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

Canada 1957

I'm almost finished an old Canada 1957 scenario for PM4E2008 I had started a while ago and took up again. I'm now just down to grinding out the constituencies. Once that's done, I'll finish my West Germany 1949 scenario for K4E2009 (which also only has grinding of constituencies left to do), as that one has a queue of people looking to try it already. Is anyone interested in trying my Canada 1957 scenario? I WILL definitely need feedback, especially to see how well my engineered collapse of the Liberals' polling through events and issue centres work, as they started at a huge lead in said polls, and, after governing for 22 years of mostly prosperity and progress, almost everyone believed Liberal PM Louis St. Laurent would win another majority (even Diefenbaker himself started out the campaign believing that, just that his PC's would win more seats). Historically, however, Diefenbaker's PC's won a surprise minority government. If anyone's interested in trying this when it's done (which should be soon), let me know. You WILL require PM4E2008, though - this scenario will NOT work on the Canadian PM4E2011, the Australian PM4E2013, PMI, or, despite a more similar engine, the UK PM4E2010.

Finally, this scenario, after a pernicious error has been fixed, is in a seemingly workable state. Anyone who wishes to try it and will give some feedback, especially on the workability of the mechanism to create an event-driven collapse of the large Liberal, to represent historical events, just leave your e-mail address. As stated above, you do require to own (or purchase) PM4E2008 to play this scenario.

I actually sent it you, MG 1992, as one of the standing requests, and then informed you of the error I discovered shortly after. Didn't you get those e-mails?

lukii.pukii7@gmail.com :)

Thanks, Luki

FINALLY, thanks to SaskGuy, got the error in this scenario that had literally plagued me for several years fixed. It's now workable, and posted on the scenario archive, but it does still require the PM4E2008 game engine, so if you have it laying or around or can pick it up (I don't know if Anthony's still selling it, but I think it was very cheap for a while), please give this a try.

I will download it. :)

I tried it today, playing as the PCs, and with about 3.5 weeks left I was out of money and had made basically no inroads at all, so I closed it and will try it again later. I looked it up and saw that the PCs' starting point of $1,000,000 is from RL, but maybe the money coefficients could use an adjustment? A single speech costs me 4.5% of my entire campaign war chest as things stand. The events and endorsers all seemed reasonable, and I can tell you've put a lot of work into the ridings, parties, and issues, but it seemed like I was starting in a near-impossible hole.

Thanks for the initial review. I'm actually going to try to find out how much a 1957 Canadian dollar was worth, relatively speaking (in purchasing power) compared to a Canadian dollar today. There are events that cause crumbling in St. Laurent's huge initial lead, but, as my initial playtest, they aren't enough alone to just phone it in as the PC's otherwise, so yes, you do still have to work it as you discovered (I'm not saying you just tried to cruise through, just pointing out that the implosion of the Liberal lead events only work so far). Did you find the CCF and Social Credit moreso working against you, against the Liberals, or against each other, out of curiosity?

I gave it another try. CCF and Social Credit both ran out of money with at least a couple weeks left, but each of them had maybe one "attacking" headline against St. Laurent and none against me. I did try a slightly different strategy this time - I ignored Quebec, focused on getting the two nationwide endorsements (Financial Post, Globe and Mail), and ran TV ads attacking St. Laurent and promoting myself in Ontario early. My theme issues were Liberal Governance, Pipeline Debate, and U.S. Relations.

However, I also got hit with several scandals and still couldn't seem to make any real inroads by the time it was over. I was low on cash (but not completely broke) for most of the latter half of the campaign and did finally run out with about a week left, though I fundraised my way back into the black. I did fundraising almost every time my momentum went up due to the events, researched a couple insights, and gave maybe two policy speeches. (BTW, I was playing on Hard difficulty.)

Here are the results I got:

Newfoundland: LIB 7, PC 0

PEI: LIB 3, PC 1

NS: LIB 9, PC 3
NB: LIB 6, PC 4

QC: LIB 67, PC 1, IND-LIB 2, IND 2, IND-PC 1, UDE 1
ON: LIB 45, PC 37, CCF 1, LIB-LAB 1

MB: LIB 6, PC 3, CCF 5

SK: LIB 5, PC 1, CCF 11

AB: LIB 2, PC 2, SC 13
BC: LIB 7, PC 3, CCF 8, SC 4
YK: LIB 1

NT: LIB 1

I might try a round as the CCF next to see if computer-Diefenbaker does better than I did.