270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jvikings1

1824 US presidential election scenerio

Anything else that I need to do? Are there any other what if candidates that I could include to make it better?

I think Jefferson was far too old, and all my sources say he was going senile and rarely left Monticello being effectively nursed by his daughter then, so, even though he was alive, he probably wouldn't be a good choice. William Henry Harrison was a lot younger, but still considered a War of 1812 hero (in fact, he'd likely have been healthy enough to survive more than a month into office without dying of had he one back then). Other than him, I'm tapped.

Ok. I might add him. I might also add William Wirt, Martin van Buren, and Richard Rush. I could also add Daniel Webster and John Tyler.

I am also thinking of changing the party symbols. If anyone knows which symbol(s) go with what candidate and have a link, that would be great. I want this as accurate as possible.

Another update had been posted. Martin Van Buren, William Wirt, and Rufus King have been added as candidates.

If you still do plan to include him, which party will William Henry Harrison belong to? I don't think he was very clear on that in the day, at least not that I know of, as I THINK (I could be wrong) he hadn't yet fully retired from his military career.

He was appointed to Senate as an Anti-Jacksonian and took office in 1825. He was a Democratic-Republican as a representative from Ohio from 10/18/1816 to 3/3/1819. So, I would put him as a Democratic-Republican.

Yeah, he'd probably have a platform similar to Henry Clay's platform

Perhaps John and/or Thomas Clayton of Delaware as a couple more higher-profile Federalists who were still relevant at that time.

I really don't think it needs any more candidates. You've just got about everyone who would run. You could have a what-if 73 year old James Madison ran, but I don't think he'd have any intention of doing that. Maybe Richard Mentor Johnson (Jackson's future VP in his first term). Monroe's VP Daniel D.Tompkins, but he would die of alcoholism and in debt in 1825, which means he may not have been in the best shape in 1824.

John Clayton was not eligible as he was younger than 35. I might add Richard Mentor Johnson. Daniel D. Tompkins was unelectable in the eyes of the people. I agree that Madison had no intention of running. I do not know how popular Thomas Clayton was at the time. I would consider adding him.

I have posted another update that edited the bios. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Is there any way that I could insert and event that models the so called "Corrupt Bargain"? With an if Clay is not in the top 3 and Adams is and no one has a majority of EVs, then Clay supports Adams and Adams win.

That's a good question. Wish I knew how to do that. I'd email Anthony.

I have updated the US flag and any state flags for this time period. There were quite a few states that I could not find a flag for.

JViking,

Patine is sending me flags for my scenarios. If you need any flags, I'd suggest reaching out to him. I placed in the flags for 1788/89 yesterday and they look really good.

I'm pretty sure the 1824 flags were identical to the 1828 and 1832 flags (maybe a few small updates between the three elections). I can send you those flags when I send vcczar them for his 1828 and 1832 elections, if you'd like.

I have added 2 more updates. One with the state flags thanks to Patine and one with a few events added.