270soft Forum

First off - booth088: I really appreciate all the work you did on making this scenario!

I've made a copy of the scenario for my open purposes (so that I can update the issues, etc), and I can't go in to add VP's.

I've tried both from the Campaign Editor (where I get a "List index out of bounds (0) error) and by actually editing the .xml file (though I admit I'm not much of an expert at editing the original files). Any clue how to fix this problem?

Thanks so much!

I am going to take a look at it and get back to you. I have had that set aside for a while and might use this as an opportunity to get back to it.

I was just able to add a Republican VP successfully. (Using the editor) I am going to try adding a Democrat now and see if that works too.

Interesting, it seems to only happen when I try to add a Democrat. I am going to look into this. I might have messed up a piece of code.

I have identified the problem. I will be posting an update within the hour! :)

I just uploaded 3.0 which includes a laundry list of bug and other fixes that were really bothering me. I am still willing to take any suggestions here. My main focus is still the 2000 scenario, but I am willing to put more into this if I get the suggestions.

I think there is still a fair amount that can/should be done:

1. Update issues to better reflect the landscape in 1960. Some are still more accurate for 1968 than 1960.
  2. Candidate positions are off in some instances. For example, in 1960, LBJ is not seen as being very pro-Civil Rights
  3. Percentages, especially for the Democrats, feel off. For example, Humphrey should have no support in the "border states". His support was almost completely in the Rust Belt.
  4. Expand the VP choices for both parties.

Let me know how I can help.

I just uploaded 3.0 which includes a laundry list of bug and other fixes that were really bothering me. I am still willing to take any suggestions here. My main focus is still the 2000 scenario, but I am willing to put more into this if I get the suggestions.

I think there is still a fair amount that can/should be done:

1. Update issues to better reflect the landscape in 1960. Some are still more accurate for 1968 than 1960.
  2. Candidate positions are off in some instances. For example, in 1960, LBJ is not seen as being very pro-Civil Rights
  3. Percentages, especially for the Democrats, feel off. For example, Humphrey should have no support in the "border states". His support was almost completely in the Rust Belt.
  4. Expand the VP choices for both parties.

Let me know how I can help.

I just uploaded 3.2

This adjusts Democratic primary percentages in the states where there were primaries. Also makes another minor change with endorser momentum. Also changed Johnson's issue position of civil-rights.

Would appreciate any specific suggestions you would have about new issues or rewritten issue positions.

Suggestions for new issues:

• Farms/Farm Subsidies (but only as a small issue)
  • Arms Race/Nuclear Weapons/The Missile Gap
  • China/Quemoy & Matsu
  • Cuba
  • Vietnam (but only as a small issue)

Issues To Remove:

• Law and Order (this issue is a holdover from the 1968 campaign when it was a major issue to address after the Long Hot Summer.)
  • The Courts (There wasn't much controversy yet, as the "major" decisions of the Warren Court don't start until after the election. Plus it mentions the "Kennedy-Johnson years" in one of the blurbs)
  • Civil Liberties (I don't feel like this was a big deal in 1960 since the stories of what the government was doing against the anti-war movement and civil rights movement and what rights the accused have aren't out yet)

Issues to Update the Positions:

• The Space Race - Should not mention President Kennedy's challenge to walk on the moon
  • Health Care - should not mention Medicaid, since that wasn't created until 1965

really hope that helps. Let me know what more I can do to assist.

I just uploaded 3.2

This adjusts Democratic primary percentages in the states where there were primaries. Also makes another minor change with endorser momentum. Also changed Johnson's issue position of civil-rights.

Would appreciate any specific suggestions you would have about new issues or rewritten issue positions.