270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

The Road to Civil War

I had an inspiration for a set of CI scenarios to help break in the new engine. Since I tend to prefer historical scenarios to modern ones (anyone whose followed my scenario projects for TheorySpark will notice historical scenarios outnumber modern ones), I thought I'd take a gander at the four House elections leading up to and exacerbating the road to the Civil War, those being 1854, 1856, 1858, 1860. It was undoubtedly one of the most tumultuous periods in US history internally. It will include the ups and downs of the long-dominant Democratic Party, the birth of the Republican Party and it's first electoral victories, the last stand of the Whig and Free Soil Parties as separate and distinct party labels, and the entire electoral history of the American (Know-Nothing), People's, and Southern Opposition Parties, and the Anti-Nebraska Movement. Only the House elections will be included, as 19th Century US Senate elections are pretty much pointless as scenarios, as only the state legislatures elected Senators in those days, not the people directly. If anyone is at all interested in this project, post a reply please.

Would definitely be interested, I could learn history and play CI while doing it.

Now, there's an issue I'm having a hard time on. In the 1854 US House election, the one with which I've started, there were effectively seven political parties and one independent with distinct names, candidates, and platforms that actually got members elected to the House (the largest number to date in US Congressional history, in fact). However, then five of the parties and the independent, in fact all except the Democratic and American (Know-Nothing) Parties, formed a united anti-Democratic caucus known informally as the "Opposition" Party. Even though these five parties and one independent all ran separately and with varying platforms to a number of degrees, Wikipedia's list of House members for the 34th Congress, and even the Congressional bios on the US Congress website list those members all just by their post-election of "Opposition Party." Since I want to give all the parties and the independent "face" candidates, since National Congressional Committees that coordinated House elections for a party didn't yet exist, I've had to discern which "Opposition" ran for which constituent parties. I've thus far gotten the Republican, Whig, and Free Soil Parties, the Anti-Nebraska Movement, and the one Independent Whig, as well as, outside the Opposition, the Democratic and American Parties. This only leaves the People's Party, which has become the difficult. There seems to be no article in Wikipedia for the 1854 People's Party (a red link), and no reference under any 1854 US House member of the Opposition saying they ran for that party during the actual election, and any attempt to Google a "US People's Party," no matter how specific I get, just gets result about the later party of the same name from the 1890's. Does anyone hear know personally anything about that party and which 1854 House members may have run for it? The Wikipedia article on the actual election says 13 members of the party were elected, but neither lists them nor has an article on the party.

I have made an arbitrary decision for the purposes of making these scenarios workable, one which I applied in various ways in my old 18th and 19th Century P4E2008 scenarios. Since in the mid-19th Century and earlier, not just in US politics, but more or less globally, there was really no such concept as 'left-wing politics:' pretty much, all significant political stances (except maybe such small movements as the 'radicals' and such) were, by modern political analysts' points-of-view just different branches of the right-wing spectrum. Left-wing politics didn't get started in earnest until the publication of the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engel, which actually took place during the scope of these four scenarios, but the book's publication didn't have an immediate impact on US politics. So, to make the game workable, and to roughly correlate with leanings (at least by name) modern political gurus can affiliate with, I'm arbitrarily assigning 'left-wing' stances to the Slaveholders' viewpoint (most represented at the time by the Democratic Party) and 'right-wing' stances to the Abolitionists' viewpoint (most represented at the time by the nascent Republican Party.

On 11/27/2014 at 6:25 PM, Patine said:

I have made an arbitrary decision for the purposes of making these scenarios workable, one which I applied in various ways in my old 18th and 19th Century P4E2008 scenarios. Since in the mid-19th Century and earlier, not just in US politics, but more or less globally, there was really no such concept as 'left-wing politics:' pretty much, all significant political stances (except maybe such small movements as the 'radicals' and such) were, by modern political analysts' points-of-view just different branches of the right-wing spectrum. Left-wing politics didn't get started in earnest until the publication of the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engel, which actually took place during the scope of these four scenarios, but the book's publication didn't have an immediate impact on US politics. So, to make the game workable, and to roughly correlate with leanings (at least by name) modern political gurus can affiliate with, I'm arbitrarily assigning 'left-wing' stances to the Slaveholders' viewpoint (most represented at the time by the Democratic Party) and 'right-wing' stances to the Abolitionists' viewpoint (most represented at the time by the nascent Republican Party.

I'd say that should be right-wing while abolition should be far-left.

5 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

I'd say that should be right-wing while abolition should be far-left.

Although I could check quickly check, would your suggestions be more in line with how @vcczar did the political alignment in his historical presidential scenarios surrounding that time period (1852, 1856, and 1860)?

26 minutes ago, Patine said:

Although I could check quickly check, would your suggestions be more in line with how @vcczar did the political alignment in his historical presidential scenarios surrounding that time period (1852, 1856, and 1860)?

Yes

I don't know how accurate it is, but there was some reference to the "conservative faction" of the Republican Party in Lincoln, referring to Republicans who didn't seem as committed to passing the 13th Amendment as Lincoln or Thaddeus Stevens. Whether they would have been called "right-wing," I don't know. Maybe not.