270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevWar

Candidate Editor

Hello!

I'm new here, and I just wanted to start off by saying what a great concept and fun game you've put together! Thank you for that!

I've been playing the demo a bit, but I have a couple questions until I fully commit to buying the product.

How robust is the candidate/campaign editor?

I plan to take this game on as more of a role-playing experience and would very much like to create my own candidate from the bottom up. I'd like to customize his personal and campaign stats, give him his own name and pic, assign him to either of the major parties, and truly feel like I have created my own little political monster. Thus, I'm hoping I don't have to take an existing candidate and just edit them. If so, I suppose I can deal with that so long as I get to change virtually anything I want to. Am I asking a bit much?

Do underdogs stand a chance in this game?

I ask this because, as Corey Booker (I love playing an underdog and will likely do the same on a Republican ticket), he starts off with basically 1% compared to Clinton's 35% or so. This is to be expected, but am I at that point just playing to see how many delegates I could wrangle in, or is it actually plausible for the Bookers and Sandovals to win? Although it'd be fun to see Clinton-Christie, Cruz-Biden sort of battles, I really would like to switch things up for the sake of variety and that "underdog" rush.

Wordy way to ask the questions, I know. But these are two critical facets to me to consider before purchasing a game... especially given that I'm not a political wonk by any means. I'm quite the noob.

Thanks y'all!

Kevin

Oops! I forgot to ask another question (or set of questions)!

For a created candidate, how are their starting percentages determined? Do I have control over these in the editor, do they start off at that sort of "underdog" level, or do you have to choose a candidate to emulate/clone and thus reflect their percentages? Or...?

Never mind. I was too eager and dug into the updates to find out the answers to most of my questions. I've downloaded the game and... wow... the Editor is insanely robust. Awesome. I have a ton of questions about some of the fields there, but I'll reserve those for later and just focus on my candidate creation. This is gonna be fun!

The underdog can certainly win. I find the best way is to target and build up organisation to the max and then and only then create footsoldiers and ads using insights. You need to plan ahead a bit though.

@KevWar,

Thanks for the feedback! The Campaign Editor will continue to be expanded until users are able to change any aspect of a campaign.

That sounds good - Would that extend to map editing like campaigns forever? :)

The underdog can certainly win. I find the best way is to target and build up organisation to the max and then and only then create footsoldiers and ads using insights. You need to plan ahead a bit though.

Hm. I target, then build up and create foot soldiers simultaneously. But from what you're saying, it's more effective to create them after full organization has been established? The point of doing so is to save some money, yes? That may help me with not blowing half my funds by December!

The point isn't to save money, it's to use your time efficiently. Organisation takes progressively longer to build up but creating footsoldiers will take the same amount of time or shorter if you've targeted or built up Ground Strength. With maximum organisation every footsoldier means 6 power but to get this with an organisation strength of 1 you would have to create 6 footsoldiers. Power going from 0 to 6 all of a sudden should also nicely mess things up for the other candidates.

Power going from 0 to 6 all of a sudden should also nicely mess things up for the other candidates.

Thank you, SANC! I'll try that strategy, but I especially love the above-mentioned surprise aspect of it! I have a LOT to learn. Speaking of which, can I ask you if you find it more efficient to simply run national ads and then run them in the states, or do you actually localize them for more regional issue relevance (and strength)? I like doing the latter, but I've found it's become an enormous drain on funds, CPs, and my own personal sanity. Thoughts? Thanks for letting me pick your brain!

I'm not quite sure what's the best thing to do with ads apart from running them negatively. I run them nationally but I don't know if that's the best way.

If I'm a candidate with a lot of money and not a good starting in the polls I usually run one national pro-me ad, it gives you a heap of momentum and you can use that to nab endorsements and build up your org and targetting in many states at once.

If I'm a candidate with a lot of money and not a good starting in the polls I usually run one national pro-me ad, it gives you a heap of momentum and you can use that to nab endorsements and build up your org and targetting in many states at once.

When you say "run one national," how exactly do you mean? I ask because I know you can set up a U.S. ad and then select the states to run it in, or you can, of course, localize the ad to focus on a state even more, which has always been stronger for me than a national ad running in that state. The only benefit I see to running a national ad vs. a local ad is it's less time-consuming IRL and involves less micro-management. They both seem to cost the same, however, running one nationally and selecting even just six or seven states ran me up to nearly $900,000 per turn (Texas didn't help that). Please understand, though, that this is all knowledge gleaned from only ONE playthrough on my very inexperienced part. Is there a way to run an ad nationally without having to select all the states? That is, is there a cheaper way to run national ads... nationally? Otherwise, running an ad across the nation would bankrupt me immediately. Thanks!

Btw, while that was a ton of money I spent on those $900K ads I mentioned, and they nearly busted me financially, they did indeed, as you say, gave me a "heap of momentum" and in rolled the endorsements as I built up my organization and spun the ads I ran when possible. Also, I have not yet entered the general election, so keep that in mind with all my babbling above. ; )

Yeah no worries, so it's not cheaper I don't think (I haven't looked at the numbers), but I buy an ad at max strength and spend turns fundraising (TX, CA, PA, NY, OH, FL, NC, SC, GA, VA, give a pretty steady stream of income, anything with more than 10 electoral votes usually gives a good bump of cash) and increasing my debating and issue knowledge while it's being made. Then after the pro-me ad is made if you go to the national ad screen and click run down the bottom underneath the names of all the states is like a hand button, if you click that it selects all the states. For a tv ad it costs around $4.5mil a turn, radio is $2.25mil, newspaper $1mil, so it costs like $25mil to run a tv ad nationally for five turns and in the meantime you've got your debate and issue knowledge up so you walk through the debates (make sure your EP is near max, otherwise your debating is worse than it should be) and keep that momentum going into the start of the primaries. Then I just spend the time racking up endorsements as I can (which give org & footsoldiers) and if there are any states that won't go my way (Cruz usually has a head start in TX, Rubio in Florida, Ryan in Wisconsin, etc.) I use targeted ads or just attack them for a turn or two (but not too much if I want them on the ticket, you get a bad relationship with them if you do).

Thank you, SANC! I'll try that strategy, but I especially love the above-mentioned surprise aspect of it! I have a LOT to learn. Speaking of which, can I ask you if you find it more efficient to simply run national ads and then run them in the states, or do you actually localize them for more regional issue relevance (and strength)? I like doing the latter, but I've found it's become an enormous drain on funds, CPs, and my own personal sanity. Thoughts? Thanks for letting me pick your brain!

I always run them locally because it's so much easier to manage, I mean the key in the primaries is working out what states to invest in and which to only visit once or twice.

Is there a way to change which party a candidate belongs to? I broke up the two major parties into three smaller sub-parties each. I would like to be able to put Rand Paul and Ted Cruz into the Constitutional party, Rick Santorum into the Social Conservative party, and Chris Christie into the RINO party.

I don't think that Christie would ever run under the name "RINO Party", you can just make a candidate based on the original can't you?

I don't think that Christie would ever run under the name "RINO Party", you can just make a candidate based on the original can't you?

Only within that same party. And the Christie thing is because I couldn't come up with anything else to call it, and because I like jokes.

@rcon14,

Interesting idea - currently, there's no straightforward way to switch a candidate from one party to another. You just have to make the new party, and then make the new leader. It doesn't happen very often, which is why it isn't an ability right now.

@rcon14,

Interesting idea - currently, there's no straightforward way to switch a candidate from one party to another. You just have to make the new party, and then make the new leader. It doesn't happen very often, which is why it isn't an ability right now.

Okay, I'll just keep that scenario on hold. If that could be added in the update, that'd be great. I wanna see how the race looks once I divide the parties up.

Thanks VanMav and Blair! I've only recently discovered how lucrative fundraising can truly be since I had myself stuck in Iowa and NH and was not impressed - it took me awhile to work my way over to CA and TX and wow! So I will definitely run some serious national ads since I find myself neglecting ads more than I'd like. I start with a created candidate who's a serious underdog, so I need the national attention. But I'll also be targeting some specifically, as Blair mentioned, since some states just need that extra loving, especially close to the respective election.

The only bummer is that once I took the national lead, everyone started attacking me, so, unlike my peaceful pro-me style, I had to start hitting back. So I doubt I'll be having my pick of running mates, whereas at first I naively believed I would. Ah well. At least one of the candidates likes mine, even if he's a huge underdog himself and didn't survive Iowa. Dang realism. : P

Okay, I'll just keep that scenario on hold. If that could be added in the update, that'd be great. I wanna see how the race looks once I divide the parties up.

I'd be super interested in this, too. After my current game, I plan on creating a new party and creating entirely new candidates just to shake it all up. In the meantime, I"ll copy parties and candidates and edit them accordingly. I just get caught up on starting percentages for an outlying party.

Haha, no worries. And yeah, I've found the best way to run as Bloomberg is while everyone is running around getting endorsements run two or three big ads for yourself and one attacking each of the frontrunners in the other parties (Hillary and Christie usually). But if you're running in a primary, it's best to be coming second. That way heading into the caucuses you can do one attack two boast in the states that are about to vote and it usually pushes you over the line but doesn't make you the frontrunner so not everyone is attacking you.

But if you're running in a primary, it's best to be coming second. That way heading into the caucuses you can do one attack two boast in the states that are about to vote and it usually pushes you over the line but doesn't make you the frontrunner so not everyone is attacking you.

Haha... sneaky! Remind me never to run against you for office! : P While we're talking about VPs, could you answer this noob question: How important is your VP selection?

Are they a glorified surrogate or do you actually control them? Do you put them on auto-pilot if so, or do you get to use them sort of like your candidate? I ask because I'd like to pick Cory Booker as a running mate to keep the underdog theme rolling - and he's the only one who likes me, anyway - but I wasn't sure if I'd shoot myself in the foot for that. Thoughts?

Oh! Also, I already know I'll have my primaries wrapped up soon, but it'll probably only be April by then, while Christie, Ryan, and Rubio are still slugging it out. So is it effective to start running ads on the front-runner (Christie) even though I'm still in my primary season? I know it is in real life, but I'm not sure how the game treats it since some of the general election info doesn't seem to reflect my current operations (such as organization levels).

P.S. I know I could be finding these things out first-hand by playing, but I rarely have time, and so I'd like to get the most I can out of this first playthrough, which is taking me forever due to my obsessive micromanagement! : )

Your VP selection has their own set of attributes, participates in debates and can be controlled in the exact same way as you. I'm not sure how the game treats it all, as a Republican I usually select Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), maybe it's because she's a woman but her brainstorming power works really well in places like California (yes, I won California as a Republican in 2016 haha). She certainly seems to get more power than the rest on flipping undecided voters. You would have to ask someone with more in depth knowledge of how it works though.

(On that note, @Anthony if you're reading, would it be possible to make ads attacking the running mate of the opponent? 2008 comes to mind...)

Also it depends if you want. If you run a big ad buy against Christie it will damage him in the primary and general, so you have to decide whether you'd rather run against him or Ryan/Rubio. It certainly does create a lot of undecideds, I would wait until you have the nomination secured (unless one of them will do so in the mean time), and run an attack ad on their frontrunner and one or two supporting ads for yourself. It makes people who lean Republican become undecided and undecideds switch to you.

And that's fine, I love the game. I get enthralled and will start a game and play and play and play and look at the clock and it's like 3am!

Haha... I know what you mean. I went to sleep later than usual one day because I just HAD to get to Super Tuesday, but it cost me exhaustion the next day at work (I need to edit my IRL stamina points! : P).

Thank you for the in-depth response, as always. I like that you were able to win Cali (my home state) with Ayotte. Consider my mind blown. This bodes well for my thoughts of choosing Booker. Maybe I'll win Texas with him? Haha. He'll at least be interesting to battle with Christie over NJ!

As for the ads, I did decide I'd wait until I secured the nom, so I'm glad you advise the same. I was indeed worried about attacking Christie too soon and giving Rubio and Ryan a chance to jump ahead. Then, not only have I lost out on precious funds if it costs Christie the nom, but I'll also miss out on the chance to battle with Christie, which I'm looking forward to. So, yes, I'll wait to attack him with my nom or when he starts pulling away by too much. I do like the idea of keeping the other party fighting each other while I kick back, attack, and self-promote.

Anyway, I could sit here and talk about the game all day and ask you questions even more, but I have future constituents awaiting!

(Anthony, your game rocks! And yes, I'd also love to attack VPs some day! : ) )

Edit: I just noticed that my Super PAC has gone from attacking Clinton to Christie, so the game is already one step ahead of me. Brilliant!