270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

West Germany 1949

Is anyone interested in this? A brief run-down of the election:

It was the first since the end of World War II, and was going into a new Federal Republic of Germany.

East Germany, East Berlin, and Saar did not participate, and West Berlin sent only non-voting members elected by their parliament which I'd be very leary of including.

I don't know whether to run Konrad Adrenauer's CDU and Hans Ehard's CSU as seperate parties, as they campaigned and were organized seperately in this election (albeit, like today, the CSU only ran in Bavaria), but they formed a tight coalition. Also, Franz Blucher's Free Democrats and Heinrich Hellwege's German Party were also in a coalition with Adrenauer, but were much more seperate and would certainly be seen as seperate parties.

Kurt Schumacher's Social Democrats are the main opposition to Adrenauer, but Max Reimann's Communist Party of Germany and the separatist Bavaria Party (whose leader at the time I can't seem to find) were fourth and fifth as vote- and seat-getters. Helene Wessel's Center Party, even then considered somewhat of a fossil due to the formation of the CDU, came in seventh.

Other parties I may include who did also get seats are the Economic Reconstruction League, German Conservative Party - German Right Party, South Schleswig Voter Federation, and three Independents. I'm a bit uncertain about including the Radical Social Freedom Party, the European People's Movement of Germany, and the Rheinish-Westphalian People's Party, as, while they also ran, they didn't get seats and got very low vote counts and there doesn't seem to be Wikipedia articles on any of them.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Seems like a very interesting election. I'm afraid I have my own projects to work on, though, and I know very little about Germany.

I know this is a longshot, but I can't for the life of me find the leader of the South Schleswig Voters' Federation in 1949. If someone has better German than me to Google it (or even a bit of Danish or Frisian, as those are the minorities they represent) could you please find this crucial bit of data, as I'm obviously not going to find it on Google in English. I have all eleven other leaders, including portraits, already.

Don't worry, I at least found their sole member of the Bundestag after the election, which is just as good.

Don't worry, I at least found their sole member of the Bundestag after the election, which is just as good.

Since they are apparently a regional party and don't have any chance of forming government, it's entirely possible they didn't have an official leader anyway.

BTW, I'm not sure how much help I could be here, and I can't promise I could be extremely fast on things, but if I can give some help on this, let me know. The German engine needs more historical scenarios, IMO.

I've found the number of votes each party got in each constituency, which can be translated into a percentage, as well as a rough gauge of eligible voters from the total. However, the actual candidate names I haven't yet found. So, for the playtest copy, which I hope to release soon, I'll just put "<party> Candidate" for each candidate and, because I don't know them either, "<party> Crusader" for each party's five crusaders. I'll fill them in when (and if) I find more accurate information.

Okay, other than ridings, this scenario is almost finished. Since there were no major scandals or noteworthy unusual activities by candidates, should I do without events, or use major news events of the day like some scenarios do?

Okay, other than ridings, this scenario is almost finished. Since there were no major scandals or noteworthy unusual activities by candidates, should I do without events, or use major news events of the day like some scenarios do?

Personally, I'd use the news events, because it gives the scenario a bit of historical context. I think the inclusion of the historical context allows you to get the most out of the scenario when you play it.

Okay, currently on ridings, which should be the last part. It's slow-going because the file I got off the German electoral returning officer's website gives only number of eligible voters and votes for each party per constituency, not percentages, so I have to do the math to convert. I hope to have this out shortly, though.

Okay, after an initial "hiccup" that may have been caused by the constituency editor, I'm proceeding on ridings. I haven't been able to test it yet, as I really can't until it's complete, but here's to hoping it works smoothly. I hope to have it out as soon as possible!

Hey. This scenario ever get completed? It sounds like a great one!

This one may take a bit. There's a lot more ridings than I at first thought, and the demands of real life have cranked up a bit.

I admit I had taken a bit of a break from this one. I've started work again as of a few days ago. It's still really just constituencies left, unless I get an annoying error or two. I hope to have it done soon.

This isn't yet done, but when it is, I'll add it to the scenario archive (whatever the official list is properly called) and put a link here.

This should be done relatively soon. It's second on my list to finish, with both it and the one before it just being on the constituency grinding stages. I'll send it to those with listed e-mails when it's done.

Okay, after a very long time of wrangling with several errors, and with the help of Anthony for the last one, this scenario is done. Anyone who has (or wishes to buy - I think it's price has dropped drastically since it was first released) Chancellor Forever 2009 can give this a try. Any feedback at all is welcome!

http://campaigns.270soft.com/