270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
admin_270

Release: President Forever 2012 v. 1.2.2

Very nice release, I must say. A big improvement.

A few recommendations:

• Make it easier to drop out, especially for the candidate in last place.
  • Make post-primary momentum affected by movement. If Santorum has big momentum going into Iowa, winning 12 points, he should get a big boost. Likewise, if someone actually loses voters, s/he should see momentum go down big, allowing for easier dropping out.
  • I again disagree on the percentages of a Clinton-Obama primary fight. Clinton should perform far better in the white South and worse in the North/heavily black states.
  • I would suggest turning Clinton off for 2016 and adding Biden instead. He's actually been gearing up for a potential run.
  • The Democratic 2016 field could be increased. Amy Klobuchar, John Hickenlooper and Brian Schweitzer are often mentioned, for example.
  • Both sides' 2016 VP lists should be updated and fleshed out. Deval Patrick, Julián Castro, Jay Nixon for the Dems, and Susana Martinez, Nikki Haley, Jim DeMint, Scott Walker for the Reps are my humble suggestions, but also, keep an eye on people up for being elected this year.
  • The 2016 Governors should be updated. This will take a lot of guesswork, of course, but we'll give you a break on most of these as long as they make sense. ;)

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much for the feedback.

1. Yes, I'd like to implement something like this. So, Paul would be less likely to drop out, Bachmann more, say. Noted.

2. I like this idea, but it's a little tricky. For example, even if Santorum had negative momentum on the day of the Iowa caucuses, but won decisively, he would still have huge momentum.

3. I'll be fine-tuning this, probably for the next update.

4. Noted. Might add Biden.

5. & 6. Thanks for the suggestions - 2016 is just an initial release, so there will be new candidates and veep possibilities added as we go.

7. How can we update the Governors list for 2016 yet? :)

Thanks again.

Very nice release, I must say. A big improvement.

A few recommendations:

• Make it easier to drop out, especially for the candidate in last place.
  • Make post-primary momentum affected by movement. If Santorum has big momentum going into Iowa, winning 12 points, he should get a big boost. Likewise, if someone actually loses voters, s/he should see momentum go down big, allowing for easier dropping out.
  • I again disagree on the percentages of a Clinton-Obama primary fight. Clinton should perform far better in the white South and worse in the North/heavily black states.
  • I would suggest turning Clinton off for 2016 and adding Biden instead. He's actually been gearing up for a potential run.
  • The Democratic 2016 field could be increased. Amy Klobuchar, John Hickenlooper and Brian Schweitzer are often mentioned, for example.
  • Both sides' 2016 VP lists should be updated and fleshed out. Deval Patrick, Julián Castro, Jay Nixon for the Dems, and Susana Martinez, Nikki Haley, Jim DeMint, Scott Walker for the Reps are my humble suggestions, but also, keep an eye on people up for being elected this year.
  • The 2016 Governors should be updated. This will take a lot of guesswork, of course, but we'll give you a break on most of these as long as they make sense. ;)

If I am not mistaken (and it is quite possible that I am), Romney was (in this scenario) not running for re-election (unless I missed him, I just looked briefly). Any reason for that?

Well, I suppose 270soft are assuming at this point that Obama will be re-elected. If Romney wins, however, then he'll be added almost certainly.

Conventions haven't been working for me - it this normal?

My last game, I played as Huntman and managed to rack up about 400 delegates, Gingrich got 800, and Romney got about 1000. At the convention, the game just said that I dropped out and each of Romney and Gingrich gained 0 delegates.

In that situation, I guess I'd like the game to ask me where I'd like to direct my delegates, but minimally I don't suppose they're meant to just disappear into the aether.

Hi Christopher,

The 2016 scenario assumes Romney is not running. At this point, we don't know if Romney will win or not, but either way, Obama won't be running again, so it seemed more fun at this point to have the Republican side open as well as the Democratic side.

We might release a Romney re-election scenario as well.

If I am not mistaken (and it is quite possible that I am), Romney was (in this scenario) not running for re-election (unless I missed him, I just looked briefly). Any reason for that?

Hi Oxymoron,

Thanks for this feedback - noted, I'll look into this.

Conventions haven't been working for me - it this normal?

My last game, I played as Huntman and managed to rack up about 400 delegates, Gingrich got 800, and Romney got about 1000. At the convention, the game just said that I dropped out and each of Romney and Gingrich gained 0 delegates.

In that situation, I guess I'd like the game to ask me where I'd like to direct my delegates, but minimally I don't suppose they're meant to just disappear into the aether.

Hi Christopher,

The 2016 scenario assumes Romney is not running. At this point, we don't know if Romney will win or not, but either way, Obama won't be running again, so it seemed more fun at this point to have the Republican side open as well as the Democratic side.

We might release a Romney re-election scenario as well.

Thank you. For some reason, I was under the misconception that this scenario assumed Romney won. Looking back, I realized that is not necessarily the case.