270soft Forum
POLLWONK

United States 2016 - President Romney

Sorry to interrupt, Elliot, I think those ideas about the Ryan Plan seem to be actually correct, but considering that there are certain parts of the goverment that are still going Democratic (like the Senate), and that the Supreme Court will not necessarily favor the Republicans, wouldn't that mean that the plan will not be implemented? (But I still know little about the functioning of the american goverment, so I think my argument might be wrong)Besides, I thought that the President (and especially the Vice President) has very little to say on the economy as far as thing work out... (Am I right on that one?)

For that matter, let's not be too overtly partisan. There's a lot of factors affecting the economy, including the incumbent President, Senate and Congress, and I believe that it's more important that we have a fun scenario than speculating about the economy. I would suggest that the Democrats remain in control of the Senate and even out the House to avoid either party being able to take complete credit for the economy recovering (though not to boom levels).

For the record, I'm no fan of the Ryan budget plan. Not at all. But the economy could improve and it could tank, with it and without it.

For that matter, let's not be too overtly partisan. There's a lot of factors affecting the economy, including the incumbent President, Senate and Congress, and I believe that it's more important that we have a fun scenario than speculating about the economy. I would suggest that the Democrats remain in control of the Senate and even out the House to avoid either party being able to take complete credit for the economy recovering (though not to boom levels).

For the record, I'm no fan of the Ryan budget plan. Not at all. But the economy could improve and it could tank, with it and without it.

I not overtly partisan. I want an accurate scenario. I have supported Republicans and Democrats in the past. Speculating about the economy is important to have a fun scenario because it needs reasonably accurate.

Sorry to interrupt, Elliot, I think those ideas about the Ryan Plan seem to be actually correct, but considering that there are certain parts of the goverment that are still going Democratic (like the Senate), and that the Supreme Court will not necessarily favor the Republicans, wouldn't that mean that the plan will not be implemented? (But I still know little about the functioning of the american goverment, so I think my argument might be wrong)Besides, I thought that the President (and especially the Vice President) has very little to say on the economy as far as thing work out... (Am I right on that one?)

President Obama supports 1/3 of the Ryan Plan anyway and the Democrats and Republican will probably get a "Grand Bargin" to deal with our debt. A significant portion of the Ryan Plan is probably going to implented no matter what happens. The President is held to standard (alot of the people may say an unfair one) that President and his party gets the blame or praise on the economy

Right now, I'm planning to releasing the scenario without events until I figure out some relative technical difficulties. Once that's worked out, then I'll release a second edition with events.

hows the progress so far on this

Okay, I need your opinion on this one...

So far during the Convention, Senator Amy Klobuchar and Mayor Cory Booker both mentioned their Iowan heritage to the Convention. Other speakers like O'Malley and Warner also cited connections to the 1st in the nation caucus.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/iowa-delegation-draws-possible-2016-democratic-presidential-candidates/2012/09/05/a08fa708-f777-11e1-8398-0327ab83ab91_story.html'

Also, Governor Brian Schweitzer has also visited the state conventions of South Carolina, Michigan, and Arizona, all of them key primary states.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/05/3797937/speculation-starts-for-2016-campaign.html

The question I'm pondering and need your feedback on is whether I should add Booker, Schweitzer, and Klobuchar. I need some ideas since both of them were not on the 2016 radar before the convention.

Please submit your thoughts!

Okay, I need your opinion on this one...

So far during the Convention, Senator Amy Klobuchar and Mayor Cory Booker both mentioned their Iowan heritage to the Convention. Other speakers like O'Malley and Warner also cited connections to the 1st in the nation caucus.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/iowa-delegation-draws-possible-2016-democratic-presidential-candidates/2012/09/05/a08fa708-f777-11e1-8398-0327ab83ab91_story.html'

Also, Governor Brian Schweitzer has also visited the state conventions of South Carolina, Michigan, and Arizona, all of them key primary states.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/05/3797937/speculation-starts-for-2016-campaign.html

The question I'm pondering and need your feedback on is whether I should add Booker, Schweitzer, and Klobuchar. I need some ideas since both of them were not on the 2016 radar before the convention.

Please submit your thoughts!

I'd add them, though having them as off-by-default is also an option.

Booker definitely off ... if at all. He's a mayor ... short of winning against Christie in 2013, he won't have a leg to stand on.

Klobuchar ... can't hurt, but propably also off by default. Haven't heard any chatter about her thinking about it.

Schweitz has consistently been mentioned as a possible candidate, but I think he said something somewhere that he loathes national politics ... but hearts can change.

Good news! I've finally managed to fix the bug in the scenario, allowing me to implement events! :)

Here's the last update for the storyline...

October

20: Iran agrees to talk with United Staates and Israel at the UN sponsored "Dubai Peace Summit". (+50 for Romney)

24: "Dubai Peace Summit" begins!

Note: Below are listed two possible endings to the Iran-Israel issue... the talks can either succeed or they can fail... If the talks succeed Romney gets a big boost. If the talks fail, Romney gets slammed hard.

27:

Event 1 (Talks Succeed): "Iran and Israel Sign Peace Agreement!" (+500 Romney)

Event 2 (Talks Fail): "Iran storms out of Summit! Peace Talks Fail!" (-500 Romney)

Final update to be ready in a few days! :)

Update on the Events:

The Continuing Drama of Iran-Israeli Conflict

October:

2: European Union President Miroslav Lajcak of Slovakia warns that the conflict may bankrupt the EU, requesting financial aid from the US. (+50 momentum for issue position "Left" on "European Union)

5: President Mitt Romney rejects bailing out European Union (-200 Momentum for Romney)

11: President Mitt Romney opens up the strategic petroleum reserve (+100 momentum for Romney)

14: Iranian Missiles sink the USS Abraham Lincoln off the coast of Yemen. (+100 Momentum for Romney. +100 Momentum for issue position "Right" on Iran-Israel)

16: UN Secretary General Radoslaw Sikorski (hypothetical future Secretary General) calls for ceasefire between Iran-Israel.

to be continued

Here’s a brief hypothetical summary of Romney’s first term in office...

Domestic Policy:

Taxes: Romney implements economic plan of tax cuts and deregulation as well as opening up of federal lands for oil drilling. Economy picks up to a pace of about 4.0% GDP Growth, resulting in a “Strong” economy.

Fiscal Policy: Romney manages to squeeze through Congress the Romney-Ryan plan, reforming Social Security and Medicare. US Credit Rating restored to AAA by S&P, but Democrats accuse Romney of hurting seniors. Though the budgetary outlook has been improved without a doubt, the effect for seniors on their health costs is unclear. Deficit reduced from $1.1 Trillion in 2013 to $150 Billion in 2016.

Healthcare: Romney and the Republican controlled Congress repeals Obamacare, but does not return the $700 Billion to Medicare, using it instead to pay off the deficit. Romney begins offering Federal Funds to states to help craft their own healthcare plans.

Foreign Policy: After announcing in 2013 a plan to keep US Troops in Afghanistan until 2016, Romney is then forced to compensate for the withdrawal of UK troops in 2015 by Prime Minister Ed Miliband of Britain. Romney extends the withdrawal date to 2018, much to the resentment of the American public.

European Union: Unlike the booming US Economy, the European Union continues to fight its way through torrents of debt and inner quarreling. Hollande, Merkel, Miliband, and Monti attempt a united appeal to Romney for financial assistance. Romney refuses aid until the Europeans “get tough on fiscal policy”, worsening the already fraught relationship between him and Miliband. Democrats accuse Romney of selfishly hoarding American wealth without assisting our allies.

Iran: President Ahmadinejad leaves office and is succeeded by President Mashaei who continues the the Iranian nuclear enrichment program. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu continues threatening Iran while Mashaei openly reaffirms Iran’s willingness to destroy Israel. Romney continues laying down sanctions and even authorizes C.I.A. and cyber operations to dismantle Iran’s programs. Finally, in 2016, Israel bombs Iran.

Overall, the scenario gives Romney an above average domestic grade with a below average foreign grade. With the economy and budget outlook improving, Romney does have something good on his resume. However, his missteps internationally have cost him big time and makes his reelection campaign look challenging.

Scenario completed! The link to the game on the 270soft scenarios page has been updated!

I'd like to thank Elliot, Tayya, Red Dog Democrat, proudbluedogdem, Mr. Political, Reagan Conservative, Patine, Ayamo, and LuminevonRuental for their feedback, suggestions, and help with the scenario. You guys helped make it happen! :)

Good news! I've finally managed to fix the bug in the scenario, allowing me to implement events! :)

Here's the last update for the storyline...

October

20: Iran agrees to talk with United Staates and Israel at the UN sponsored "Dubai Peace Summit". (+50 for Romney)

24: "Dubai Peace Summit" begins!

Note: Below are listed two possible endings to the Iran-Israel issue... the talks can either succeed or they can fail... If the talks succeed Romney gets a big boost. If the talks fail, Romney gets slammed hard.

27:

Event 1 (Talks Succeed): "Iran and Israel Sign Peace Agreement!" (+500 Romney)

Event 2 (Talks Fail): "Iran storms out of Summit! Peace Talks Fail!" (-500 Romney)

Final update to be ready in a few days! :)

For the Event at 27th

I get Peace! Israel and Iran sign ceasefire!

or Romney proves leadership skill!

Is Romeny proves leadership is (talks fail)?

If the peace talks succeeded, then Romney's momentum on the issue of leadership will be "Proved". Because his foreign policy record was shaky, getting a ceasefire and some success on the international stage would help prove that he was able to lead the free world successfully for a change.

Had the "Dubai Peace Summit" failed, Romney would have seen a major dent in his momentum for leadership.

For the Event at 27th

I get Peace! Israel and Iran sign ceasefire!

or Romney proves leadership skill!

Is Romeny proves leadership is (talks fail)?

If the peace talks succeeded, then Romney's momentum on the issue of leadership will be "Proved". Because his foreign policy record was shaky, getting a ceasefire and some success on the international stage would help prove that he was able to lead the free world successfully for a change.

Had the "Dubai Peace Summit" failed, Romney would have seen a major dent in his momentum for leadership.

Best outcome for President Romney ?:Peace! Israel and Iran sign ceasefire! or Romney proves leadership skill!

Dubai Peace Summit = epic fail

Best outcome for President Romney ?:Peace! Israel and Iran sign ceasefire! or Romney proves leadership skill!

Dubai Peace Summit = epic fail

Great, I took a time to play this scenario, and while I liked the democratic race (In the GOP I think Perry would have a better chance in the south and Paul could be stronger in one or two states), the general election was the best part... In the end I played it three times and the Dubai Peace Summit always succedeed, but I think Romney was just lucky...

Excelente job!

If any of you are interested, I'm thinking about making a "United States 2020-Romney Term Limited" once I finish the "McCain-2004" scenario with Elliot.

Tell me if you're interested. :)

I was considering doing one as well, though not following this one directly. I can send you my files if you want to.