270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScottM

Would you like to see a 1920 scenario?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a 1920 scenario?

• Yes
    • No

Looks pretty good! I found this while searching for the 1920 Dem Convention; could be useful.

http://politicalgraveyard.com/parties/D/1920/index.html

Also, I'm not sure about the Treaty of Versailles, since it was pretty vindictive, while the wording makes it sound fair (of course, liberals mainly wanted it for the LoN, so maybe it works...)

Looks pretty good! I found this while searching for the 1920 Dem Convention; could be useful.

http://politicalgraveyard.com/parties/D/1920/index.html

Also, I'm not sure about the Treaty of Versailles, since it was pretty vindictive, while the wording makes it sound fair (of course, liberals mainly wanted it for the LoN, so maybe it works...)

The League of Nations and the Fourteen Points are the reason I worded the positions in that way, because Wilson and the liberals wanted to appear to be more interested in reconciliation than being vindictive toward Germany, but I do agree that the far left and left positions aren't quite right. They need a bit more balance, so, any suggestions?

Thanks for the link as well, but the lists of delegates are very incomplete. That's the problem I keep running into for the Democrats. I can't seem to find a complete list of delegates for each state.

• Upvote 1

I have an Excel spreadsheet that has a lot of the information for the scenario on it. I can send that to you if you like. The biggest things now are going to be defining issue positions and candidate positions, but the endorsers need to be expanded as well. I'll be open to any suggestions though.

Same here. I am definitely glad to help.. keiooz@yahoo.com

Don't know if it's just me, but I think Teddy Roosevelt's charisma and stamina should both be higher (5 and 4 or 5, respectively); he was one of the most forceful and dynamic presidents, and I think these revisions would reflect that better. Charisma at least should be raised, but stamina could be in question, since he was starting to get up in years (of course, he was still travelling across the world...).

Don't know if it's just me, but I think Teddy Roosevelt's charisma and stamina should both be higher (5 and 4 or 5, respectively); he was one of the most forceful and dynamic presidents, and I think these revisions would reflect that better. Charisma at least should be raised, but stamina could be in question, since he was starting to get up in years (of course, he was still travelling across the world...).

Agreed on the charisma. I don't know why I didn't have it at 5 in the first place. The reason I have his stamina lower is because of his malaria. It had taken a serious toll on his health by 1918.

• Upvote 1

Also note that his son Quinton has died overseas in WW1. Quinton (if I remember correctly) was Roosevelt's favorite son. His son's death cast a dark shadow of Teddy in the final years of his life.

Agreed on the charisma. I don't know why I didn't have it at 5 in the first place. The reason I have his stamina lower is because of his malaria. It had taken a serious toll on his health by 1918.

• Upvote 1

In this scenario, would he have necessarily have gotten malaria? Since he is very much alive (well, alive enough to run for president again), his trip to South America may have ended differently, and he is still fairly fit (probably not 5, since his bullet wound had gotten worse, and he was already in his sixties, but 4 is still a possibility).

I'm going to stay with the lower stamina rating, because I like to try to keep scenarios I make as historically accurate as I can. I'm willing to have the "what-if" of Roosevelt's survival, but he will be of course off by default since he died in reality, and I want the candidate in the scenario to as closely reflect what he and his candidacy would have been like if he had survived until the election.

I also think the point about how his son's death affected him is extremely valid, as well. To Roosevelt, he believed he was simply going to have to resign himself to being drafted by the Republican party. His heart wasn't really in it, but the calls of the party were simply to strong to resist. As such, I doubt he would have campaigned as actively as he did in 1904 or 1912.

As a side note, I think the next U.S. scenario I'll work on will probably be 1948. So, while I don't know exactly when that will be, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions to contribute to that, keep them in mind.

• Upvote 1

Good points, and as for 1948, it might be difficult to simulate the surprise victory Truman had, unless you put in some big momentum boosters for in at the end (of course, that could make it biased against the Republican... then again, since Dewey was expected to win by 20 or more points, it probably would just the race closer, and more balanced, rather than unfairly biased towards one side or the either). Do you know what you might need for that, so we can just start scouring the interwebz for data and other arcane niceties.

There will probably be some momentum boosting events for Truman, and some to pull down Wallace, as he polled much stronger than he ended up at first. I know I'll need delegate information, but it seems like I saw that on this forum one time. Events will be needed, too.

Speaking of events, I need some 1920 events now. I'll be looking and I'd welcome help from anyone who wants to. Candidate issue positions are going to be another big thing for 1920 too.

• Upvote 1

A bit of an update for the future 1948 scenario: I found one that I had worked on a bit a few months ago that I had forgotten about. It definitely needs some work, but what I have should make that one go faster.

As for 1920, I'll be starting to input data into Campaigns Forever soon. I'll probably start it by doing enough to have the general election playable so it can be tested and then add the primaries.

• Upvote 2

A bit of an update for the future 1948 scenario: I found one that I had worked on a bit a few months ago that I had forgotten about. It definitely needs some work, but what I have should make that one go faster.

As for 1920, I'll be starting to input data into Campaigns Forever soon. I'll probably start it by doing enough to have the general election playable so it can be tested and then add the primaries.

Great on both counts!

I haven't forgotten this one. I do have some of the data entered into Campaigns Forever. Working on state information my take a bit of time, because I'm trying to work on state issue centers.

• Upvote 1

I'm looking for ideas for organizations that might be good endorsers. If anyone has and ideas/suggestions, let me know.

• Upvote 1

I've finally had some more time to put into working on this one, so I thought I'd give an update. I've just finished inputting the data in the Create Political Units step in Campaigns forever, so I'm beginning to make some significant progress. As I said before, I'll probably create it as a general election scenario to begin with so it can be tested before adding all the candidates. When I do, I'll probably contact a few people on the board and ask them if they're interested in playtesting.

• Upvote 1

I want to get some opinions on something. I'm working on the parties now, and although this is gonna start out as a general election scenario, I wanna go ahead and ask this to get some feedback to consider. In trying to re-create the "smoke-filled room" environment, do you guys think it would be best to set all the primaries to proportional or should some of them be first-past-the-post to simulate some state delegations voting as a block?

• Upvote 1

I want to get some opinions on something. I'm working on the parties now, and although this is gonna start out as a general election scenario, I wanna go ahead and ask this to get some feedback to consider. In trying to re-create the "smoke-filled room" environment, do you guys think it would be best to set all the primaries to proportional or should some of them be first-past-the-post to simulate some state delegations voting as a block?

proportional

• Upvote 1

Probably proportional would be better; it would definitely help spread out the delegates (rather than two or three major candidates dominant, there would be a better divide), then the move of delegates could be more realistic... at least it would lead to some interesting results!

When I add primaries, I will do them all as proportional.

As for the status of the scenario, it is now playable as a general election scenario between Harding and Cox only, but I'm going to add some more to it before sending out to any play testers.

• Upvote 1