270soft Forum
ellchicago

Republican Vice-Presidential Candidates

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who would Governor Mitt Romney pick for VP?

• Governor Chris Christie
    • Senator Marco Rubio
    • Governor Bob McDonnell
    • Governor Nikki Haley
    • Governor Susana Martinez
    • Senator Kelly Ayotte
    • Governor Brian Sandoval
    • Governor Mike Huckabee
    • Senator Rick Santorum
    • Speaker Newt Gingrich
    • Representative Ron Paul
    • Senator Rand Paul
    • Governor Mitch Daniels
    • Governor Haley Barbour
    • Senator Jim DeMitt
    • Senator Rob Portman
    • Governor Bobby Jindal
    • Representative Paul Ryan
    • Representative Allen West
    • Governor Rick Perry
  2. 2. Who would Senator Rick Santorum pick for VP

• Governor Mitt Romney
    • Governor Chris Christie
    • Senator Marco Rubio
    • Governor Bob McDonnell
    • Governor Nikki Haley
    • Governor Susana Martinez
    • Senator Kelly Ayotte
    • Governor Brian Sandoval
    • Governor Mike Huckabee
    • Speaker Newt Gingrich
    • Representative Ron Paul
    • Senator Rand Paul
    • Governor Mitch Daniels
    • Governor Haley Barbour
    • Senator Jim DeMitt
    • Senator Rob Portman
    • Governor Bobby Jindal
    • Representative Paul Ryan
    • Representative Allen West
    • Governor Rick Perry
  3. 3. Is balancing the ticket the most important quality or is it the most qualified person in choosing a VP pick?

• balancing the ticket
    • most qualified person
    • Both

Then why did a portion of African American Republicans vote for Obama? People do care about if the person is of their race or gender. Polling shows that 25% to 33% would vote for Romney if he had a Latino on the ticket. 25% voting on the basis of race or ethinity is pretty darn convincing.

I'd like to see that data first of all. All you've linked is a head to head match up Obama vs Romney among Latinos. Secondly, Obama got a 7% boost in African American votes from 2004. You can't tell me that that entire 7% can be attributed to race alone. Some of them? Yes. But Obama was able to inspire many different racial and social groups for a number of different reasons. The boost swing of black votes to Obama because of race is negligible at best.

• Upvote 2

I don't see takeover of the Presidency as a major issue this year. I mean, Democrats and Republicans alike shudder at the thought of President Biden, but he's still on the ticket!

I really think the VP pick on the GOP side is more of an issue of appeal, and that means you have to pin down your swing states. There are the constant swing states, like Florida and Ohio, states that swung to Obama in 2008 and may return to the GOP in 2012, like VA, NC, NV, IA and CO, states where a rising number of upset conservatives are challenging their states' Democratic status quo, like PA, MI, NJ, NH and WI, and then there's NM, where the growing Hispanic vote threatens the state's former stable Republican vote for president.

Chris Christie is well-known, has a solid record, and the only detriment to Christie being veep is his own past objections to the job, which the Dems would love to use against. He could also take NJ from a fringe swing state to a major battleground, and as one of the top 15 most populous states, this would certainly benefit the Republican cause.

Marco Rubio, of course, appeals to Hispanic voters, which gives the Republicans an edge over the President in Florida, Nevada, and New Mexico, which together pack a healthy 40 electoral votes, and were all states where Obama edged out McCain in 2008.

Those are the two candidates I like best for VP, and I would also like to throw in that I don't like a Romney/Santorum or Santorum/Romney ticket, that's like painting a massive bullseye on the back of the Republican party, and would let the President and the Dems nationwide pile on about the way they hated each other and the gridlock it could create in a theoretical Romney or Santorum White House.

All in all, if I had to pick the best ticket for the Republicans to win, I'd say Romney/Rubio, but if I had my dream ticket here it'd be Santorum/Christie. (Well actually it'd be Perry/Christie, but Perry's been out of the running for a while)

-JerseyBoy

I'd like to see that data first of all. All you've linked is a head to head match up Obama vs Romney among Latinos. Secondly, Obama got a 7% boost in African American votes from 2004. You can't tell me that that entire 7% can be attributed to race alone. Some of them? Yes. But Obama was able to inspire many different racial and social groups for a number of different reasons. The boost swing of black votes to Obama because of race is negligible at best.

"One area where Republicans could gain back ground among Latino voters is by the choice of Vice President. Almost one-third of Latino voters say that they would consider voting Republican if there were a Latino on the ticket.

Both Florida junior Sen. Marco Rubio and New Mexico Gov. Susana Martínez have been mentioned as possible names for the eventual GOP presidential ticket.

Almost one-quarter of Latinos said they would be more willing to vote for a Republican if Rubio was on the ticket, with this number rising to almost four-in-ten in Florida, a potential swing state.

About one-fifth of likely Latino voters would be more willing to vote for a Republican if Martínez got the VP nod."

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2012/03/05/gop-hopefuls-losing-ground-to-obama-among-latinos-poll-says/#ixzz1pbEQ8DZt

• Upvote 4

Well, that does prove that Rubio is at least slightly a better choice, but the problem with that data is the question asks if they would be "more willing" to vote Republican, not a guarantee that they'll switch, just they that'll give it more consideration. So your 25-33% number is likely a lot smaller. I never denied a bump would occur, just that it would be a small one. Especially when Martinez is under the national spotlight. She's still pro-life, and she still has a strong stance on illegals. I would venture that most people in the country don't know much about her. The more people who know her the less who will vote for her, the opposite it true with Rubio. He almost has an Obama-esque charisma about him.

• Upvote 2

Well, that does prove that Rubio is at least slightly a better choice, but the problem with that data is the question asks if they would be "more willing" to vote Republican, not a guarantee that they'll switch, just they that'll give it more consideration. So your 25-33% number is likely a lot smaller. I never denied a bump would occur, just that it would be a small one. Especially when Martinez is under the national spotlight. She's still pro-life, and she still has a strong stance on illegals. I would venture that most people in the country don't know much about her. The more people who know her the less who will vote for her, the opposite it true with Rubio. He almost has an Obama-esque charisma about him.

That bump + SuperPAC ads spending may secure a win in Nevada or Colorado (one of those Romney needs to get win or could win in New Hampshire) and would significantly help in the largest swing state of Florida (Where there are a significant amount of Cubans).

• Upvote 3

You are right that the Democratic Party has done well with the black voters and yes there was not much of a huge jump. But what I think we need to remember is Obama's campaign in 2008 brought out minorities more than any other election. Obama actually got the black vote out in massive droves comparatively to Kerry.

About Palin, here's my take... she did attract support for McCain when she was FIRST picked. McCain actually took the lead in the polls after the announcement and convention. Women liked her, men liked her, she was popular at first. What shot down her fame was her lack of intelligence, her flop interviews, and her stupid wordgames. In the end, we can draw from the 2008 Election that...

1.) Yes, the female vote was interested in Palin being VP. However, her gaffes overshadowed the possibility of having the first ever woman Vice President.

2.) Gender and race don't matter if people think you're nuts.

Picking Martinez would appear too much like another "Game Change" attempt by the republicans. It would appear desperate and far too poltically motivated for Romney who is trying to portray the image of a strong decisive leader not swayed by the political arena. Picking Martinez would allow Obama to make comparisons of Martinez to Palin. Plus, Palin called Martinez her fellow 'mama grizzlE". SNL would probably make a parody of Martinez claiming she could see Mexico from her house...

Rubio would be a better choice because everyone knows he is a big thinker. He was highly creative in the Florida Senate and would help Romney connect more with minorities. He is also popular among pretty much all wings of the Republican Party. He also won over most independents in the 2010 Senate Race despite dealing with Charlie Crist and Kendrick Meek splitting the vote.

Kerry won 88% of the black vote in 2004. Obama won 95% in 2008. Hardly a huge jump. And you can't attribute that entire gain to his race. Obama had a lot of appeal to a lot of people for a lot of reasons in 08. How much of that 7% voted for him JUST because he was black? Some, but not a significant number.

You keep contradicting yourself. You keep saying various minority groups will flock to a candidate that belongs to their group only because that candidate belongs to their group, but every time one of us brings up Sarah Palin you dismiss your own logic because Palin was stupid. So either minorities and women are mindless sheep who look only at a candidates skin tone and genitals, or they're relatively informed voters who can look at the issues like the rest of us. You keep arguing the previous, but by your logic women should have flocked over to Sarah Palin. Problem is that Palin opposed most women on the issues that mattered most to them. Just like Martinez opposes Latinos (and women for that matter) on the issue that matters most to them. Latinos aren't just going to vote for any old Latino, and while I'm not saying Martinez is as bad as Palin, she brings nothing to the table aside from her race.

• Upvote 3

The media has pretty much demonized Sarah Palin and her "mama grizzlies". The mama grizzly caravan includes...

1.) Sharron Angle

2.) Nikki Haley

3.) Carly Fiorina

4.) Susana Martinez

All Obama has to do is tie Martinez to Sarah Palin, and the race is over...

no.

• Upvote 1

Jeb Bush is smart, liked by everyone in the Republican Party, been governor of the largest swing state for 8 years, got 80 percent of the Cuban vote in 2002 among non-Cuban Hispanics he got 56 percent in 2002. He had won 44 percent of Jewish vote in 2002. He won reelection by 56 percent. Is there two much baggage for him to on VP?

• Upvote 4

Jeb Bush is smart, liked by everyone in the Republican Party, been governor of the largest swing state for 8 years, got 80 percent of the Cuban vote in 2002 among non-Cuban Hispanics he got 56 percent in 2002. He had won 44 percent of Jewish vote in 2002. He won reelection by 56 percent. Is there two much baggage for him to on VP?

And his last name is Bush.

• Upvote 3

I can tell I'm going to take a lot of crap for this, but I don't think the Bush name thing is too big an issue. I think people are beginning to forgive Bush a bit, and people understand that Jeb Bush is a helluva guy, and a great pick for VP. Plus, it's mainly the snooty, rich, media, hyper-liberal types that hated Bush the most, who wouldn't vote against Obama for anything in the world anyway. By the logic of the Bush name being an election-changing issue, how did GW get elected in the first place? A lot of people disliked his father, and he only came along 8 years afterwards. Public memory isn't that short.

• Upvote 1

That was my point

Sorry I didn't see the last sentence for some reason.

Yeah theres too much baggage. Its unfortunate because Jeb is a lot smarter than his brother, but his brother essentially disqualified him from ever seeking national office. Also, if he were to be Romney's VEEP there would be the perception among Republicans (who are more sympathetic to the Bush family) that the ticket was in the wrong order. Romney needs to pick someone who won't overshadow him.

Also Jeb himself said he wanted Rubio to be the running mate.

• Upvote 6

Even if Jeb Bush was an above average Governor and even if he has more brain mass than his brother, he will still be an unpopular pick.

George W Bush got elected in 2000 when the Bush name was actually a good name. Remember, George Sr. left office as America's Most Admired Man according to Gallup EVEN THOUGH HE LOST REELECTION. George W. Bush had a fairly good stint as Governor of Texas, but was vastly underprepared to lead the nation.

By the way, why on earth would the upper class hate the Bushes when 80% of his tax cuts were given to them?

I can tell I'm going to take a lot of crap for this, but I don't think the Bush name thing is too big an issue. I think people are beginning to forgive Bush a bit, and people understand that Jeb Bush is a helluva guy, and a great pick for VP. Plus, it's mainly the snooty, rich, media, hyper-liberal types that hated Bush the most, who wouldn't vote against Obama for anything in the world anyway. By the logic of the Bush name being an election-changing issue, how did GW get elected in the first place? A lot of people disliked his father, and he only came along 8 years afterwards. Public memory isn't that short.

• Upvote 6

By the way, why on earth would the upper class hate the Bushes when 80% of his tax cuts were given to them?

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the affluent left wing progressives who like to think they can tell people how to live their lives. The democratic establishment if you will.

• Upvote 4

There is also Hollywood which is solidly Democrat.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the affluent left wing progressives who like to think they can tell people how to live their lives. The democratic establishment if you will.

• Upvote 2

Romney's Short List?

#1 Senator Marco Rubio

#2 Governor Bob McDonnell

#3 Governor Chris Christie

#? Governor Nikki Haley

#? Governor Susana Martinez

#? Senator Kelly Ayotte

Washington Post also mentioned

Senator Rob Portman- fail on the budget

Governor Bobby Jindal-Jindal’s 2009 Republican response, Problem with religion

Senator John Thune- leadership in the Senate

Governor Tim Pawlenty- boring

Governor Mitch Daniels- wife

Congressman Paul Ryan- unpopular with moderates and independents

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/for-a-romney-running-mate-dont-bet-on-a-governor/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/veepstakes-2012-the-inaugural-edition/2012/03/22/gIQAAAbKUS_blog.html

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/marco-rubio-for-vice-president-03212012

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-great-whisperer/2012/03/26/gIQAcKF2bS_story.html

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/74490.html

• Upvote 5

Rubio would be the obvious choice. He has the potential to be a knockout punch in winning over the Latino community. He is also different from other candidates for the VP position because...

1.) He hasn't spent TOO MUCH time in Washington D.C. (which means its unlikely he's gotten involved in a lot of the insider trading crap or pork$)

2.) He has a reputation of being a turnaround artist while serving in theFlorida Senate.

3.) He has the charisma and debating style similar to that of Bill Clinton. (aka: he can connect with the common voter)

4.) He lived the American Dream.

5.) He would UNITE THE GOP WITHOUT ALIENTATING MODERATES. That was Palin's problem in 08. SHe got the GOP behind McCain, but eventually lost the moderate vote. Rubio wouldn't do that.

Rubio would be the best choice.

If Rubio isn't picked, here's the restof the list...

2.) John Thune (looks the part. charismatic. appeals to social conservatives)

3.) Bob McDonnell (good safe choice)

4.) Kelly Ayotte (has a professional demeanor, would unite the party and appeal to some moderates. not much real experience though)

5.) Paul Ryan (popular among conservatives. Questionable among moderates. Hated by liberals)

Romney's Short List?

#1 Senator Marco Rubio

#2 Governor Bob McDonnell

#3 Governor Chris Christie

#? Governor Nikki Haley

#? Governor Susana Martinez

#? Senator Kelly Ayotte

Washington Post also mentioned

Senator Rob Portman- fail on the budget

Governor Bobby Jindal-Jindal’s 2009 Republican response, Problem with religion

Senator John Thune- leadership in the Senate

Governor Tim Pawlenty- boring

Governor Mitch Daniels- wife

Congressman Paul Ryan- unpopular with moderates and independents

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/for-a-romney-running-mate-dont-bet-on-a-governor/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/veepstakes-2012-the-inaugural-edition/2012/03/22/gIQAAAbKUS_blog.html

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/marco-rubio-for-vice-president-03212012

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-great-whisperer/2012/03/26/gIQAcKF2bS_story.html

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/74490.html

• Upvote 3

Rubio would be the obvious choice. He has the potential to be a knockout punch in winning over the Latino community. He is also different from other candidates for the VP position because...

1.) He hasn't spent TOO MUCH time in Washington D.C. (which means its unlikely he's gotten involved in a lot of the insider trading crap or pork$)

2.) He has a reputation of being a turnaround artist while serving in theFlorida Senate.

3.) He has the charisma and debating style similar to that of Bill Clinton. (aka: he can connect with the common voter)

4.) He lived the American Dream.

5.) He would UNITE THE GOP WITHOUT ALIENTATING MODERATES. That was Palin's problem in 08. SHe got the GOP behind McCain, but eventually lost the moderate vote. Rubio wouldn't do that.

Rubio would be the best choice.

If Rubio isn't picked, here's the restof the list...

2.) John Thune (looks the part. charismatic. appeals to social conservatives)

3.) Bob McDonnell (good safe choice)

4.) Kelly Ayotte (has a professional demeanor, would unite the party and appeal to some moderates. not much real experience though)

5.) Paul Ryan (popular among conservatives. Questionable among moderates. Hated by liberals)

Rubio has some appeal to non-Cubans. He would probably lock the Cuban vote in along with Florida. He may give Romney a fighting chance in Nevada and Colorado which Romney desperately needs in order to win the general election. Rubio would also give the Republicans a fresh face (not a white Chirsten male) for 2016 or 2020.

• Upvote 5

Governor Mitt Romney on Marco Rubio

“Marco Rubio is living proof that the American Dream is still very much alive,” “From humble origins, he has risen to become one of the brightest lights in our political party. He has been a leading voice in the U.S. Senate and the country for the cause of restoring American greatness. He knows that the way forward is to end excessive regulations, shrink government, and get our economy growing. He understands that the way to strengthen our communities is to strengthen our families. He recognizes the dangers that will face America if we fail to maintain our military power. He understands how critical it is to bring new leadership to the White House. Senator Rubio’s endorsement is a major milestone in my effort to make Barack Obama a one-term president. Ann joins me in thanking him for the confidence he is placing in my leadership and for the great honor he has done me today.”

That was alot of praise for just an endorsement and it sounds like how I would imagine how Governor Romney would introduce his Vice-Presidential Nominee.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/03/rubio-says-tamp-floor-fight-would-be-a-disaster-119035.html

• Upvote 3

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2012/03/29/bts-acosta-marco-rubio-vp.cnn

I don't know how much this means, but he would be making a mistake if he's serious.

Two things:

1. It's hard to say no the Vice-Presidency.

2. Most VP nominee say they don't want it or will not be the choice (see Biden)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/02/politics/crowley-vice-president-speculation/index.html

• Upvote 1

Two things:

1. It's hard to say no the Vice-Presidency.

2. Most VP nominee say they don't want it or will not be the choice (see Biden)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/02/politics/crowley-vice-president-speculation/index.html

Christie readies for Romney’s VP call

http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/washington-secrets/2012/04/christie-readies-romney%E2%80%99s-vp-call/468086

• Upvote 1