270soft Forum
ellchicago

Republican Vice-Presidential Candidates

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who would Governor Mitt Romney pick for VP?

• Governor Chris Christie
    • Senator Marco Rubio
    • Governor Bob McDonnell
    • Governor Nikki Haley
    • Governor Susana Martinez
    • Senator Kelly Ayotte
    • Governor Brian Sandoval
    • Governor Mike Huckabee
    • Senator Rick Santorum
    • Speaker Newt Gingrich
    • Representative Ron Paul
    • Senator Rand Paul
    • Governor Mitch Daniels
    • Governor Haley Barbour
    • Senator Jim DeMitt
    • Senator Rob Portman
    • Governor Bobby Jindal
    • Representative Paul Ryan
    • Representative Allen West
    • Governor Rick Perry
  2. 2. Who would Senator Rick Santorum pick for VP

• Governor Mitt Romney
    • Governor Chris Christie
    • Senator Marco Rubio
    • Governor Bob McDonnell
    • Governor Nikki Haley
    • Governor Susana Martinez
    • Senator Kelly Ayotte
    • Governor Brian Sandoval
    • Governor Mike Huckabee
    • Speaker Newt Gingrich
    • Representative Ron Paul
    • Senator Rand Paul
    • Governor Mitch Daniels
    • Governor Haley Barbour
    • Senator Jim DeMitt
    • Senator Rob Portman
    • Governor Bobby Jindal
    • Representative Paul Ryan
    • Representative Allen West
    • Governor Rick Perry
  3. 3. Is balancing the ticket the most important quality or is it the most qualified person in choosing a VP pick?

• balancing the ticket
    • most qualified person
    • Both

Rice just wouldn't cut it for the GOP. We already have the first african american president so she wouldn't help much (if at all) in winning the black vote. Her knowledge is in foreign affairs, NOT domestic issues. Domestic issues are playing a bigger role in this election. Plus, people still haven't forgotten George W.

She has a better chance at becoming NFL commissioner than Vice President of the United States.

Look African Americans are never going to vote for the GOP. But she's more than JUST an African American. She's incredibly knowledgeable in foreign affairs and can handle herself in a debate. (It would be great to see her take on Biden).

But look, if Romney picks someone without an foreign policy experience, the Obama campaign can rip into them as being unprepared to take command of our armed forces. This could really be an issue if the threat of war with Iran gets bigger. The Bush fatigue probably wouldn't be as big of an issue since she was unrelated to any economic decisions.

• Upvote 1

There are better options than Rice if you want someone with foriegn policy experience. Like Jon Huntsman. The connection to the Bush administration disqualifies her completely. She's probably far too moderate on domestic issues as well. Romney needs to pick someone that the base will be able to tolerate. I still think his best bet is Rubio.

• Upvote 2

There are better options than Rice if you want someone with foriegn policy experience. Like Jon Huntsman. The connection to the Bush administration disqualifies her completely. She's probably far too moderate on domestic issues as well. Romney needs to pick someone that the base will be able to tolerate. I still think his best bet is Rubio.

Rubio might not get Hispanic voters. Susana Martinez is a better pick.

• Upvote 4

Rubio might not get Hispanic voters. Susana Martinez is a better pick.

Both of them work. I don't know much about Martinez though. She doesn't seem particularly intelligent. She's also much tougher on immigration than Rubio, and Romney and his running mate are going to have to run to the center on that issue.

I think wooing Hispanics/women/independents is more important than shoring up the base.

• Upvote 4

Both of them work. I don't know much about Martinez though. She doesn't seem particularly intelligent. She's also much tougher on immigration than Rubio, and Romney and his running mate are going to have to run to the center on that issue.

I think wooing Hispanics/women/independents is more important than shoring up the base.

Of course Martinez is intelligent she was named Prosecutor of the Year. Hispanics will vote for Martinez because she is Hispanic-Mexican. Rubio may not connect with Hispanic-Mexicans.

• Upvote 4

Most Hispanics aren't going to be affect by it at all. The ones who are are probably going to look at Martinez's tough stance on immigration and see her as a traitor somehow.

• Upvote 1

Most Hispanics aren't going to be affect by it at all. The ones who are are probably going to look at Martinez's tough stance on immigration and see her as a traitor somehow.

That is not accurate at all.

According to Univision/ABC poll on Latino voters

Obama 67% Romney 25%

Obama 70% Gingrich 22%

Obama 69% Santorum 14%

Ads spending for Republicans may help that number go up. About 25% to 33% of Latinos however would change their mind if a Latino was chosen for VP.

• Upvote 3

Of course Martinez is intelligent she was named Prosecutor of the Year. Hispanics will vote for Martinez because she is Hispanic-Mexican. Rubio may not connect with Hispanic-Mexicans.

Yeah, and women voted for Palin because she was female. :D

• Upvote 1

That is not accurate at all.

According to Univision/ABC poll on Latino voters

Obama 67% Romney 25%

Obama 70% Gingrich 22%

Obama 69% Santorum 14%

Ads spending for Republicans may help that number go up. About 25% to 33% of Latinos however would change their mind if a Latino was chosen for VP.

So what? Those numbers aren't any indication of how many Latinos would switch over to Romney if a Latino were VP. Obama only got 7% more of the black vote in comparison to 2004. McCain still lost women badly despite Palin being on the ticket. You can't just blindly pick a woman or a minority and bank on all of them crossing over. You need to pick the right one. I think Rubio is the best choice for Romney, but picking a Latino just because they're a Latino isn't good enough.

• Upvote 2

So what? Those numbers aren't any indication of how many Latinos would switch over to Romney if a Latino were VP. Obama only got 7% more of the black vote in comparison to 2004. McCain still lost women badly despite Palin being on the ticket. You can't just blindly pick a woman or a minority and bank on all of them crossing over. You need to pick the right one. I think Rubio is the best choice for Romney, but picking a Latino just because they're a Latino isn't good enough.

Those numbers are some indication about how many Latinos would actually swinch over to Romney. African-Americans are mostly Democrats anyway and Palin was a disaster of epic proportions.

• Upvote 4

Obama scored upsets in 2008 in the states of Indiana, Missouri, and North Carolina. I doubt those states will stay Democratic in 2012, especially if the race is a referendum on Obama's record.

I would probably avoid a 2 year congressman, senator, governor in most cases (knowing what happened when mccain picked a young inexperienced airhead as his vp). The only reason why I give Rubio a pardon from this rule is that he actually served in a state level government leadership position for a LONG TIME and passed 57 improvements in the Florida Senate. He isn't an easy target like Palin and he actually knows the facts on the issues. Plus, he would swing the Latinos over.

Martinez would just be another Sarah Palin who appeals to the Tea Party but is an easy target for the media.

Assuming Romney loses NE-02 to Obama and takes back Indiana, North Carolina, Virginia, Florida, and Ohio, he would be at 265 Electoral votes. He would need 5 Electoral votes. Michigan (16 EV) or New Jersey (14 EV) would put him over if he could get them, but that is unlikely. New Hampshire (4 EV) is not enough, but gets him to a tie. In order to break that tie he could try to win one of Maine's congressional districts. If Romney won NE-02, even New Hampshire would make him win.

Governor Susana Martinez may help in New Mexico even if Gary Johnson takes a portion of the vote. That would put Romney at 270 even if he loses NE-02. Assuming he take NE-02 any remaining swing state that is at or above 4 EV would put him at or above 270. On the down side Martinez is not well know as Rubio.

• Upvote 3

Palin was a long pass that went the wrong way. McCain wanted to throw long, but Palin didn't know the playbook of poltitics or reality. Palin was a dud and an embarresment to women.

Picking Rubio would actually help Romney portray himself as a reformer AND a conservative. Having Rubio on board would convince people that the GOP...

1.) Cares for Minorities (aka Latinos)

2.) Wants to reform spending and not just cut cut cut

3.) Believes in a smarter government

4.) Believes in the opportunity of the next generation (Rubio is young and would appeal to the youth)

If Romney picked up Rubio, he would do EXTREMELY well among Latinos since he has shown a willingness to allow Puerto Rican statehood and that is something popular among hispanics. Romney is already playing his cards with the HIspanics well by making the pitch to them regarding PR Statehood. Rubio would help confirm that message to them.

• Upvote 3

Obama scored upsets in 2008 in the states of Indiana, Missouri, and North Carolina. I doubt those states will stay Democratic in 2012, especially if the race is a referendum on Obama's record.

I would probably avoid a 2 year congressman, senator, governor in most cases (knowing what happened when mccain picked a young inexperienced airhead as his vp). The only reason why I give Rubio a pardon from this rule is that he actually served in a state level government leadership position for a LONG TIME and passed 57 improvements in the Florida Senate. He isn't an easy target like Palin and he actually knows the facts on the issues. Plus, he would swing the Latinos over.

Martinez would just be another Sarah Palin who appeals to the Tea Party but is an easy target for the media.

How is Martinez another Sarah Palin? She looks pretty credentialed to me.

• Upvote 4

Picking a pro-life, tough on immigration governor with no other special qualities who just HAPPENS to be a female latino isn't going to get Romney anywhere. Give women and latinos more credit than that. They're not just going to look at her and be like "DURR SHE LOOKS LIKE ME" and vote for her. You need to give them something. Rubio is a smart, charismatic young senator with solid conservative credentials (yet isn't a partisan hack) from a swing state who would be a solid pick regardless of his race. His race is the icing on the cake.

• Upvote 3

Picking a pro-life, tough on immigration governor with no other special qualities who just HAPPENS to be a female latino isn't going to get Romney anywhere. Give women and latinos more credit than that. They're not just going to look at her and be like "DURR SHE LOOKS LIKE ME" and vote for her. You need to give them something. Rubio is a smart, charismatic young senator with solid conservative credentials (yet isn't a partisan hack) from a swing state who would be a solid pick regardless of his race. His race is the icing on the cake.

Wrong again. President Obama won the African American vote by huge numbers because he was African American.

• Upvote 5

Romney has tough choice ahead of him. Rubio would be good choice, but he has some integrity issues. He has never been a Governor and only would been a Senator for less than two years if he was picked. You may argue that experience doesn't matter to voters (I remember America electing a some untotally qualified guy from Illinois over someone who had solid credentials). If Rubio had to take over the Presidency in 2013, he would the youngest ever to do so (41). Rubio may work for an election standpoint (Hispanic, helps in Florida), but I don't know if I can see him in the Oval Office Chair in 2013. Chris Chistie I can see though, even if he has some integrity issues as well. Bob McDonnell I could see as well.

• Upvote 4

Could Mitt Romney be America's first Hispanic President? http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/12/opinion/romney-hispanic-roots/index.html

If elected Romney could be considered the first Hispanic President, he may or may not win the a majority of the Hispanic Vote. He needs another Hispanic and the ticket to bring the Hispanic Vote in.

• Upvote 6

Yes, but that really begs the question... what politician out there DOESN'T have flaws in their integrity? Most Congressman and Senators rake in millions with insider trading. Crony capitalism is rampant.

While Rubio may not be nationally prepared, he does have some leadership skills however. Rubio also listened to people when in the Florida Senate. I lived there for a while and to be honest with you, he seemed like the only person there who was listening to the people... that was the basic interpretation from the Floridian populace. He actually took in suggestions from citizens and formulated a book with 100 ideas for Florida to improve while serving as a State House Leader. He showed an intersting brand of leadership that was extremely fresh considering how the Republican Party was flailing from 2005 to 2008.

Romney has tough choice ahead of him. Rubio would be good choice, but he has some integrity issues. He has never been a Governor and only would been a Senator for less than two years if he was picked. You may argue that experience doesn't matter to voters (I remember America electing a some untotally qualified guy from Illinois over someone who had solid credentials). If Rubio had to take over the Presidency in 2013, he would the youngest ever to do so (41). Rubio may work for an election standpoint (Hispanic, helps in Florida), but I don't know if I can see him in the Oval Office Chair in 2013. Chris Chistie I can see though, even if he has some integrity issues as well. Bob McDonnell I could see as well.

• Upvote 2

The media has pretty much demonized Sarah Palin and her "mama grizzlies". The mama grizzly caravan includes...

1.) Sharron Angle

2.) Nikki Haley

3.) Carly Fiorina

4.) Susana Martinez

All Obama has to do is tie Martinez to Sarah Palin, and the race is over...

How is Martinez another Sarah Palin? She looks pretty credentialed to me.

• Upvote 2

Wrong again. President Obama won the African American vote by huge numbers because he was African American.

Kerry won 88% of the black vote in 2004. Obama won 95% in 2008. Hardly a huge jump. And you can't attribute that entire gain to his race. Obama had a lot of appeal to a lot of people for a lot of reasons in 08. How much of that 7% voted for him JUST because he was black? Some, but not a significant number.

You keep contradicting yourself. You keep saying various minority groups will flock to a candidate that belongs to their group only because that candidate belongs to their group, but every time one of us brings up Sarah Palin you dismiss your own logic because Palin was stupid. So either minorities and women are mindless sheep who look only at a candidates skin tone and genitals, or they're relatively informed voters who can look at the issues like the rest of us. You keep arguing the previous, but by your logic women should have flocked over to Sarah Palin. Problem is that Palin opposed most women on the issues that mattered most to them. Just like Martinez opposes Latinos (and women for that matter) on the issue that matters most to them. Latinos aren't just going to vote for any old Latino, and while I'm not saying Martinez is as bad as Palin, she brings nothing to the table aside from her race.

• Upvote 3

Yes, but that really begs the question... what politician out there DOESN'T have flaws in their integrity? Most Congressman and Senators rake in millions with insider trading. Crony capitalism is rampant.

While Rubio may not be nationally prepared, he does have some leadership skills however. Rubio also listened to people when in the Florida Senate. I lived there for a while and to be honest with you, he seemed like the only person there who was listening to the people... that was the basic interpretation from the Floridian populace. He actually took in suggestions from citizens and formulated a book with 100 ideas for Florida to improve while serving as a State House Leader. He showed an intersting brand of leadership that was extremely fresh considering how the Republican Party was flailing from 2005 to 2008.

If Rubio is not nationally prepared, then Romney shouldn't put him on the ticket. Could you see Rubio take over the Presidency if something happen to President Mitt Romney?

• Upvote 4

If Rubio is not nationally prepared, then Romney shouldn't put him on the ticket. Could you see Rubio take over the Presidency if something happen to President Mitt Romney?

Can you see Susana Martinez taking over the Presidency if something happened to Mitt Romney? If you want a balance between someone who can help the ticket and someone who could be an adequate president go with someone else because Martinez does neither.

• Upvote 3

Kerry won 88% of the black vote in 2004. Obama won 95% in 2008. Hardly a huge jump. And you can't attribute that entire gain to his race. Obama had a lot of appeal to a lot of people for a lot of reasons in 08. How much of that 7% voted for him JUST because he was black? Some, but not a significant number.

You keep contradicting yourself. You keep saying various minority groups will flock to a candidate that belongs to their group only because that candidate belongs to their group, but every time one of us brings up Sarah Palin you dismiss your own logic because Palin was stupid. So either minorities and women are mindless sheep who look only at a candidates skin tone and genitals, or they're relatively informed voters who can look at the issues like the rest of us. You keep arguing the previous, but by your logic women should have flocked over to Sarah Palin. Problem is that Palin opposed most women on the issues that mattered most to them. Just like Martinez opposes Latinos (and women for that matter) on the issue that matters most to them. Latinos aren't just going to vote for any old Latino, and while I'm not saying Martinez is as bad as Palin, she brings nothing to the table aside from her race.

Then why did a portion of African American Republicans vote for Obama? People do care about if the person is of their race or gender. Polling shows that 25% to 33% would vote for Romney if he had a Latino on the ticket. 25% voting on the basis of race or ethinity is pretty darn convincing.

• Upvote 4

Can you see Susana Martinez taking over the Presidency if something happened to Mitt Romney? If you want a balance between someone who can help the ticket and someone who could be an adequate president go with someone else because Martinez does neither.

Martinez based on what I have seen on PAPER seems qualifed to President. I haven't research her as throughly as Rubio, Chirste, or McDonnell (all three seem to compident and could potenitally take over the Presidency.).

• Upvote 4