270soft Forum
ellchicago

Republican Vice-Presidential Candidates

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who would Governor Mitt Romney pick for VP?

• Governor Chris Christie
    • Senator Marco Rubio
    • Governor Bob McDonnell
    • Governor Nikki Haley
    • Governor Susana Martinez
    • Senator Kelly Ayotte
    • Governor Brian Sandoval
    • Governor Mike Huckabee
    • Senator Rick Santorum
    • Speaker Newt Gingrich
    • Representative Ron Paul
    • Senator Rand Paul
    • Governor Mitch Daniels
    • Governor Haley Barbour
    • Senator Jim DeMitt
    • Senator Rob Portman
    • Governor Bobby Jindal
    • Representative Paul Ryan
    • Representative Allen West
    • Governor Rick Perry
  2. 2. Who would Senator Rick Santorum pick for VP

• Governor Mitt Romney
    • Governor Chris Christie
    • Senator Marco Rubio
    • Governor Bob McDonnell
    • Governor Nikki Haley
    • Governor Susana Martinez
    • Senator Kelly Ayotte
    • Governor Brian Sandoval
    • Governor Mike Huckabee
    • Speaker Newt Gingrich
    • Representative Ron Paul
    • Senator Rand Paul
    • Governor Mitch Daniels
    • Governor Haley Barbour
    • Senator Jim DeMitt
    • Senator Rob Portman
    • Governor Bobby Jindal
    • Representative Paul Ryan
    • Representative Allen West
    • Governor Rick Perry
  3. 3. Is balancing the ticket the most important quality or is it the most qualified person in choosing a VP pick?

• balancing the ticket
    • most qualified person
    • Both

Hey Guys, who do you think the VP nominee would be for Romney and Santorum? I think Romney needs to choose a Southern Governor that helps lock in the South (McCain was much stronger in the South in 2008), for that reason Governor Bob McDonnell sounds to me like the most likely choice. If Santorum wins, he has to choose Romney because Romney represents the more moderate part of the Republican Party.

• Upvote 4

I think that Romney's best options are Christie, Rubio, and Jindal.

Christie- He has been Romney's most vocal defender. He has also gained a reputation for get tough politics while also maintaining his appeal to the moderates. However, he did make a mistake by ordering the flag be flown at half mast for Whitney Houston... that was stupid...

Rubio- Would lock up the Hispanic Vote. He looks like a reformer and would add energy to the ticket.

Jindal- Would lock up the southern vote. He would add energy to the ticket.

Santorum WON'T pick Romney because he's already made it clear Romney is his archnemisis. He will probably pick Jim DeMint... or Newt Gingrich

• Upvote 4

well in my opionion i think he need s soemone that is part or the abr, aka Anybody but Romney, like a senator Jim demit but demint is not a good choice i think he might choose Mitch Daniels and well rubio will be asked but hes said a lot of times he not gonna run for vice president

I think that Romney's best options are Christie, Rubio, and Jindal.

Christie- He has been Romney's most vocal defender. He has also gained a reputation for get tough politics while also maintaining his appeal to the moderates. However, he did make a mistake by ordering the flag be flown at half mast for Whitney Houston... that was stupid...

Rubio- Would lock up the Hispanic Vote. He looks like a reformer and would add energy to the ticket.

Jindal- Would lock up the southern vote. He would add energy to the ticket.

Santorum WON'T pick Romney because he's already made it clear Romney is his archnemisis. He will probably pick Jim DeMint... or Newt Gingrich

Christie has integrity issues and doesn't really help Romney in the South

Rubio would lock Florida and the Cuban vote, but would he help in other Hispanic groups?

Jindal is too religiously crazy to the be VP.

• Upvote 4

well in my opionion i think he need s soemone that is part or the abr, aka Anybody but Romney, like a senator Jim demit but demint is not a good choice i think he might choose Mitch Daniels and well rubio will be asked but hes said a lot of times he not gonna run for vice president

Mitch Daniels doesn't have broad enough appeal. He actually would done a little better than Tim Pawlenty if he ran for President.

• Upvote 2

What do you mean by religiously crazy?

Christie has integrity issues and doesn't really help Romney in the South

Rubio would lock Florida and the Cuban vote, but would he help in other Hispanic groups?

Jindal is too religiously crazy to the be VP.

• Upvote 6

Romney will probably pick someone who can unite the party without alienating moderates. Rubio, Christie, and maybe Jindal appear to me as the best specimens for the role of uniter.

Santorum might pick Huckabee.

• Upvote 2

Romney will probably pick someone who can unite the party without alienating moderates. Rubio, Christie, and maybe Jindal appear to me as the best specimens for the role of uniter.

Santorum might pick Huckabee.

Rubio could be chosen to pick up Lantios. Romney needs them to win the general election. McDonnell is increasingly likely as well. Christie is less and less likely. Jindal is probably not going to be considered. Nevada may decide who the next the President is.

• Upvote 3

Assuming Romney loses NE-02 to Obama and takes back Indiana, North Carolina, Virginia, Florida, and Ohio, he would be at 265 Electoral votes. He would need 5 Electoral votes. Michigan (16 EV) or New Jersey (14 EV) would put him over if he could get them, but that is unlikely. New Hampshire (4 EV) is not enough, but gets him to a tie. In order to break that tie he could try to win one of Maine's congressional districts. If Romney won NE-02, even New Hampshire would make him win.

Governor Susana Martinez may help in New Mexico even if Gary Johnson takes a portion of the vote. That would put Romney at 270 even if he loses NE-02. Assuming he take NE-02 any remaining swing state that is at or above 4 EV would put him at or above 270. On the down side Martinez is not well know as Rubio.

• Upvote 2

No one views Romney as Hispanic and he has a immigration stance that is unappealing to the majority of Hispanics.

He is still in primary campaigning mode. The Republican electorate would not respond well now if he tooted the fact that he the son of a Mexican father.

Once the nomination is secured, Romney will soften his immigration stance and unveil a character narrative based on the Romneys coming to America poor from Mexico, much like Obama capitalized on his white roots. One of his sons is fluent in Spanish.

Romney has so far dominated the Republican Latino vote.

• Upvote 1

He is still in primary campaigning mode. The Republican electorate would not respond well now if he tooted the fact that he the son of a Mexican father.

Once the nomination is secured, Romney will soften his immigration stance and unveil a character narrative based on the Romneys coming to America poor from Mexico, much like Obama capitalized on his white roots. One of his sons is fluent in Spanish.

Romney has so far dominated the Republican Latino vote.

That might help, but considering the fact that alot of Hispanic Republicans are Cuban that is not a accurate picture of Latinos. Choseing a Latino for VP could help massively!

According to Univision/ABC poll on Latino voters

Obama 67% Romney 25%

Obama 70% Gingrich 22%

Obama 69% Santorum 14%

Ads spending for Republicans may help that number go up. About 25% to 33% of Latinos however would change their mind if a Latino was chosen for VP.

Governor Susana Martinez might actually be selected. Romney mentioned her name at a Flordia debate.

In 2008, Heart Magazine named Martinez “Woman of the Year” for her dedication to children’s advocacy and her efforts to keep children safe. In March 2010, Martinez was named New Mexico's "Prosecutor of the Year" by the Prosecutors Section of the State Bar of New Mexico.

Not only is Susana Martinez a Governor, she is Mexican Hispanic rather Cuban Hispanic like Marco Rubio which means is she connects better with Hispanics from Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico.

Gary Johnson will pose a significant problem for Romney because he is splitting the vote in New Mexico with him.

• Upvote 4

I like the idea of Perry as veep. His name is out there, he's likable, he can probably beat Biden in a debate and he would do a good job in office.

Yes, I know, make all the stupid jokes you like. He made one mistake in a debate. But you can't argue his amazing record and reforms in Texas.

I like the idea of Perry as veep. His name is out there, he's likable, he can probably beat Biden in a debate and he would do a good job in office.

Yes, I know, make all the stupid jokes you like. He made one mistake in a debate. But you can't argue his amazing record and reforms in Texas.

Rick Perry doesn't have good recond in Texas. He is just not smart, he is a terrible debater. Remember Perry's N-head camp? He doesn't add anything to the ticket, but disaster.

Rick Perry: High on... Life?

Rick Perry New Hampshire Video Fail

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CyHjD1VzJQk/Tl0icdJ7VqI/AAAAAAAAAD8/g2ahuUYinE0/s1600/perry.jpg Debunking the Texas Miracle

• Upvote 4

Perry is too old with the baggage of this past campaign. He would be a media distraction.

Romney will need a fresh younger face (relatively).

• Upvote 5

Rubio would help with Latinos

Huckabee would help with the base without scaring the moderates

Newt would debate the pants off Biden

Christie would provide the power and charisma and casualness that Romney is lacking

Huntsman would be a good choice if Romney intends to die

• Upvote 3

Perry isn't a good debater. He actually refused to debate the Democratic Challenger in the 2006 and 2010 gubernatorial campaigns. He failed his base during the debates. Remember, the one big oops moment happened long after his campaign sunk.

Perry also has a drinking problem. He was pulled over in 2004 under suspicion of drunk driving. Just what Newt Gingrich needs in a Vice President...

Honestly, I can argue his record and reforms in texas. He pretty much did NOTHING to fix the education system there, infact he cut funding there even more. I have friends in Texas who have said that he only reason why he keeps winning is because they want him to leave them alone. So far, he did pretty good doing NOTHING. Perry got into trouble doing something, especially with the HIV Vaccine mandate. Perry did hardly anything in Texas. His jobs record was worse than that of Governor Bush and Governor Richards during their tenures.

In reality, Perry set the bar too high when he couldn't jump in the first place.

• Upvote 5

Am I the only person pining for Condoleezza Rice for VP?

Too much baggage with no visibility/kudos outside of foreign policy.

Cheney recently wrote in his memoir that she came into his office weeping that she was wrong.

• Upvote 3

Rice just wouldn't cut it for the GOP. We already have the first african american president so she wouldn't help much (if at all) in winning the black vote. Her knowledge is in foreign affairs, NOT domestic issues. Domestic issues are playing a bigger role in this election. Plus, people still haven't forgotten George W.

She has a better chance at becoming NFL commissioner than Vice President of the United States.

Am I the only person pining for Condoleezza Rice for VP?

• Upvote 5