270soft Forum
admin_270

P4E8 2012 Scenario Beta released

Is it even possible to win with Santorum or Paul? It seems Romney or Cain win early and often.

Balancing realism with competitiveness has always been a problem with this game.

...not really... most of it depends on if you play your cards right...Generally, with a candidate like Santorum, you have to throw your efforts into the two first states and also winning the endorsement of "Focus on Fam".

I have won the Beta 2012 Scenario with Gary Johnson... It really depends on where you invest your efforts and play your cards. You also have to be willing to fold (concede a hand) a few states here and there if you are a longshot candidate.

Balancing realism with competitiveness has always been a problem with this game.

• Upvote 1

P4E8 doesn't allow candidates to change parties.

Suppose Ron Paul loses the Republican nomination and runs as the Libertarian candidate. How, if at all, would the game process the party change?

Is it even possible to win with Santorum or Paul? It seems Romney or Cain win early and often.

To win with Santorum it helps to start with both him and Cain set to human. Have Cain immediately offer to drop out and endorse Santorum or any other candidate. Usually Santorum will get a 10 point boost nationally and be competitive in Iowa, South Carolina, and the bible belt.

To win with Santorum it helps to start with both him and Cain set to human. Have Cain immediately offer to drop out and endorse Santorum or any other candidate. Usually Santorum will get a 10 point boost nationally and be competitive in Iowa, South Carolina, and the bible belt.

So the only way to win is by cheating?

It helps, but it's not mandatory. I've won the 2008 scenario as Tancredo without doing something like this. Of course, 2008 didn't have nearly as many GOP debates.

So the only way to win is by cheating?

Lol. How is this cheating? Cain did drop out. He doesn't have to endorse Santorum. Have him endorse anyone and Santorum still gains about 1/2 of his support.

• Upvote 1

I guess, if the game uses the CFE2010 engine, that national ads are separate from local ads. I hope the cost structure is reworked from both PFE2008 and CFE2010. It seemed silly in 2008 to pay X for a week during the primaries and the same X for one day during the general, not to mention that an ad lasted 35-42 days in the primaries and 5-6 in the general, and ads in 2010 seemed a bit expensive.

• Upvote 1

Ya, the 'time warp effect' led to a few inconsistencies like that. That particular aspect will be addressed.

I guess, if the game uses the CFE2010 engine, that national ads are separate from local ads. I hope the cost structure is reworked from both PFE2008 and CFE2010. It seemed silly in 2008 to pay X for a week during the primaries and the same X for one day during the general, not to mention that an ad lasted 35-42 days in the primaries and 5-6 in the general, and ads in 2010 seemed a bit expensive.

Will the "how well established" change to reflect the election better? We've seen that Romney, Gingrich, Paul, and Santorum we're organized better than the other candidates.

Some candidates also seem to have percent ceilings you cannot break.

There is no 'How well established' in P4E12. More details will be released on how P4E12 works as relates to this pretty soon.

Will the "how well established" change to reflect the election better? We've seen that Romney, Gingrich, Paul, and Santorum we're organized better than the other candidates.

Some candidates also seem to have percent ceilings you cannot break.

There is no 'How well established' in P4E12. More details will be released on how P4E12 works as relates to this pretty soon.

I love this! As far as I could tell all the "how well established" thing did was make it really un-fun to run as a minor candidate like Kucinich, 'cause you couldn't do anything. (Of course, I assume there will be some sort of disadvantage visited upon minor candidates, which is fine, I just hope it's a little more subtle.)

• Upvote 2

Excellent, hopefully this makes it easier to pull off dark-horse victories.

Will the AI now pick its themes and ads from the whole palette of issues? Having 9 candidates all using Leadership, Integrity, and Experience seems a little silly. Plus, the combinations didn't seem to make sense: in the P4E8 2012 scenario, you could see Gingrich running on his integrity while attacking Romney's leadership, whereas it would make more sense to have the issues the other way around.

Yes, in P4E12 the computer players select from all the issues. Sometimes, though, those make the most sense, given the issue profile and the candidate's own attribute rating.

Will the AI now pick its themes and ads from the whole palette of issues? Having 9 candidates all using Leadership, Integrity, and Experience seems a little silly. Plus, the combinations didn't seem to make sense: in the P4E8 2012 scenario, you could see Gingrich running on his integrity while attacking Romney's leadership, whereas it would make more sense to have the issues the other way around.

• Upvote 1

Ya, this request is made a lot. The problem is that ... it hardly ever happens. It happened this time around with Gary Johnson going Republican -> Libertarian, but we'd probably just start the game with Johnson on the Libertarian ticket, as he didn't have much impact on the Rep race.

How about a possibility of dropping out of one of the major parties during the game to start a 3rd party run in one of the minor parties or even start your own party? Not sure if it can work.

It would fun though. Having an option like that would make the game more realistic.

For example,in the P4E08 Engine, if I wanted to continue the game despite losing my party's nomination, they only way I could do that is becoming my archnemisis's VP or becoming the opposing party's VP. It's way more realistic if a third party option existed. You could form your own party without compromising your base's loyalty.

Ya, this request is made a lot. The problem is that ... it hardly ever happens. It happened this time around with Gary Johnson going Republican -> Libertarian, but we'd probably just start the game with Johnson on the Libertarian ticket, as he didn't have much impact on the Rep race.

• Upvote 1

However, having this option helps for those who want to mod certain Gubernatorial or Senate elections. For example, Illinois 1976 election for Governor is famous because the Democratic nominee himself dropped from the ticket and ran as a Progressive because he hated the Lt. Gov nominee. It cost the Dems and Progressives the election (and gave IL one of worst governors...). Even more recently, We saw in both Florida and Alaska the presumptive nominee lose, then go on to run as independents which really changed the race.

• Upvote 2