270soft Forum
admin_270

P4E8 2012 Scenario Beta released

Thanks - noted. I especially agree that Thune should be a VP possibility.

I was wondering what the thoughts were with regards to the GOP's vice presidential candidates. Personally I felt that some listed were highly unlikely to even be on the short listed, regardless of who the nominee is. For instance, can anyone really imagine Jim DeMint ever accepting the running mate position? Would anyone really pick Allen West?

Felt I'd throw out these names for potential additions:

Condoleezza Rice

Tim Pawlenty

John Thune

Mitch Daniels

Jon Kyl (He's thoroughly hinted that he would accept if offered)

Lindsey Graham

Thoughts?

For PM4E Canada 2011, there may be additional official scenarios. Note there are some unofficial scenarios at http://scenarios.270soft.com that are ports of several of the PM4E Canada 2008 scenarios (2008, 2006, 2004), by scenario designer ScottM.

As for further updates to the game engine after the next one, there aren't any planned at this time.

And will there be another update after or any official scenario? Or can we consider the game to be finished?

Any word on adding some strong independents to the scenario?

Huntsman would be a strong independent candidate. His state was the 1st job creation in the nation.

"During an interview with the Globe yesterday, Huntsman also refused to rule out an independent candidacy for the presidency should his bid for the Republican nomination fail."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2011/11/30/governor-john-lynch-praises-gop-candidate-jon-huntsman-for-state-focus/4RIvd7XYFShxgX4yutHzOI/story.html

An ABC/Washington Post poll in October found that 68 percent of voters are unhappy with the current government and 60 percent said they support the idea of an independent candidate running against the Democrat and Republican nominee.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/11/is-the-stage-set-for-a-third-party-presidential-candidate/

Rudy Giuliani, Mike Huckabee as possible Veeps?

• Upvote 1

Huntsman would be a strong independent candidate. His state was the 1st job creation in the nation.

"During an interview with the Globe yesterday, Huntsman also refused to rule out an independent candidacy for the presidency should his bid for the Republican nomination fail."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2011/11/30/governor-john-lynch-praises-gop-candidate-jon-huntsman-for-state-focus/4RIvd7XYFShxgX4yutHzOI/story.html

An ABC/Washington Post poll in October found that 68 percent of voters are unhappy with the current government and 60 percent said they support the idea of an independent candidate running against the Democrat and Republican nominee.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/11/is-the-stage-set-for-a-third-party-presidential-candidate/

Rudy Giuliani, Mike Huckabee as possible Veeps?

I think Huntsman would really need to grow to become a strong independent candidate. At this point, Americans are more familiar with Donald Trump, Michael Bloomberg, and Ron Paul. Huntsman is still a bit of an unknown to the country, but with proper resources, could run a strong campaign.

It'd be kinda crazy to add multiple independent candidates in separate "parties" so they don't have to do any primaries with each other. Although a very slim chance, there is still the chance of something like Bloomberg AND Palin running. Bloomberg targeting the independents, Palin targeting the tea-party vote. That would be a wild scenario and a fun one to play. :)

Bug I encountered... I was playing as Huntsman on Hard Difficulty with all of the GOP candidates turned on. I won NH, but not much of the other early states. The NH win got me a bit of momentum and I was able to use the increased fundraising to run national ads. I was noticing my polling numbers improving a bit as the field got smaller and smaller, but I was not receiving any endorsements. Finally, I pulled nearly even with Huckabee (the front runner) as I continued to gain a few points each week in the national polls. Huckabee then got endorsements from multple candidates including Romney, Christie, etc. I assumed I was finished after that. Instead, I received a 16% jump. It looks like all of the Romney/Christie support went my way, despite the fact they endorsed Huckabee. I guess maybe it has something to do with the game engine identifying their supporters as more likely to align with Huntsman supporters than Huckabees. However, I still shouldn't have got a jump like that. ;)

BugMap.png

Oh and a question: What is the strategy tool? i can't find it in the manual. thanks in advance. :D

The strategy list of states? Or the prediction tool? The strategy box lets you identify what states you want to include in your strategy. This will be states your crusaders go to. Not sure what else may use this list? Prediction tool is used to predict what will happen based on various scenarios. :)

• Upvote 1

I was playing as Huntsman and got all the way down to the last two primaries to decide who would be the nominee (Huntsman or Romney). Romney ended up taking the last two and winning enough delegates to be the nominee. However when the convention came, I ended up getting the nomination something like 360 to 320. Any idea why that happened?

• Upvote 1

The strategy list of states? Or the prediction tool? The strategy box lets you identify what states you want to include in your strategy. This will be states your crusaders go to. Not sure what else may use this list? Prediction tool is used to predict what will happen based on various scenarios. :)

ok thanks! :D

• Upvote 1

Just ran into a bug. Sounds somewhat similar to what some others are encountering.

- I go into the convention with Romney at 979, Perry 365, Paul 9, and Pawlenty (me) 872.

- The convention chooses Perry with 313 delegates (Message does not indicate delegate totals of any other candidates).

- I am prompted to continue playing as Mitt Romney. Clicking Yes or No at this point exits me from the game back to the P4E starting screen.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoy this mod but I have a nitpick. Paul should be polling much better in Iowa, or at least it should be easier for him to poll higher. The polls showing Paul with 16-20% of the vote in Iowa came out around the same time that Ayotte endorsed Romney and the Cain harassment stories were getting bigger. Perhaps I'm just not campaigning right but it feels very hard to succeed with Paul.

I also think George Pataki, John Bolton, John Thune, Rudy Giuliani and Thaddeus McCotter should be presidential contenders. Pataki, Bolton, ad Giuliani heavily considered running for a while, Thune briefly considered it, and McCotter did make a brief run.

Just a few ideas I had, this is a really really great mod for a really really great game.

I really enjoy this mod but I have a nitpick. Paul should be polling much better in Iowa, or at least it should be easier for him to poll higher. The polls showing Paul with 16-20% of the vote in Iowa came out around the same time that Ayotte endorsed Romney and the Cain harassment stories were getting bigger. Perhaps I'm just not campaigning right but it feels very hard to succeed with Paul.

I also think George Pataki, John Bolton, John Thune, Rudy Giuliani and Thaddeus McCotter should be presidential contenders. Pataki, Bolton, ad Giuliani heavily considered running for a while, Thune briefly considered it, and McCotter did make a brief run.

Just a few ideas I had, this is a really really great mod for a really really great game.

I kind of have to really disagree. I think a big problem with this scenario (and the 2008 one) is that Ron Paul is too overpowered. It's too easy for him to win. Spacebar through a few scenarios, and half the time, he wins the nomination, when, in reality, there's really no chance of that.

I kind of have to really disagree. I think a big problem with this scenario (and the 2008 one) is that Ron Paul is too overpowered. It's too easy for him to win. Spacebar through a few scenarios, and half the time, he wins the nomination, when, in reality, there's really no chance of that.

Ron Paul every even wins a state when I space bar it. Did you change Paul's attributes?

I am now curious as to how best to handle Herman Cain, given that he has now all but dropped out of the Republican Presidential Race.

Paul starts with around 10% in Iowa which is probably what it should be. Let's keep in mind that the scenario starts in Mid-October. Right around that time, polls show that Ron Paul was polling around 11%.

I find it hard to crack into the twenties with Paul. He rose steadily from 11% to anywhere between 16-22% depending on the poll.

i think we should keep it simple and not do anything since this is a game. :D

Only mention it because he had a lot of influence on the field, and if he is left active it is going to result in primaries wildly different from what is now going to happen with him out. As it now stands Gingrich is now dominating the South as well, and challenging Romney everywhere but the Northeast. Maybe push the start date even further ahead to December 3rd?

Only mention it because he had a lot of influence on the field, and if he is left active it is going to result in primaries wildly different from what is now going to happen with him out. As it now stands Gingrich is now dominating the South as well, and challenging Romney everywhere but the Northeast. Maybe push the start date even further ahead to December 3rd?

I think the game is fine. If it really bothers you, pick your favourite candidate and play as Cain as well, then drop Cain out yourself. The game isn't meant to replicate the primaries precisely, just what they were like when the game starts.

2jacch.png

bit of deja vu here, I was expected to win in a landslide but I had the momentum. What resulted were electoral totals just 1 away from 2000's (bush- 271, gore- 267 if there hadn't been a faithless elector).

2jacch.png

bit of deja vu here, I was expected to win in a landslide but I had the momentum. What resulted were electoral totals just 1 away from 2000's (bush- 271, gore- 267 if there hadn't been a faithless elector).

Obama lost Washington?? lol