270soft Forum
admin_270

P4E8 2012 Scenario Beta released

So I was playing the scenario as Herman Cain and I managed to win the GOP primaries (it went all the way down to Nebraska in June) and as soon as I won at the convention, the GE map turned a deep blue.. the GOP nationwide poll numbers sank 24 points in one week.

This hasn't happened before, what's wrong?

• Upvote 1

So I was playing the scenario as Herman Cain and I managed to win the GOP primaries (it went all the way down to Nebraska in June) and as soon as I won at the convention, the GE map turned a deep blue.. the GOP nationwide poll numbers sank 24 points in one week.

I think what happened was Herman Cain won the nomination XD.

• Upvote 1

You took too long to win in the primaries, you need to lock up the nomination sooner.

• Upvote 1

You took too long to win in the primaries, you need to lock up the nomination sooner.

No because after all the other candidates bailed it was Democratic/Republican tie, a .3 margin nationwide which is perfectly reasonable. And as soon as the convention ended, the Dems shot up 24 points and it was Democratic Solid, the next week it was This is Democratic Country.

Some suggestions after trying it out...

1. If I remember correctly, the delegates was winner take all in the GOP primaries. To my knowledge, this year all primaries up until March have split delegates. After that, it is winner take all.

2. Add Kucinich to the Democratic primaries. He'd probably be more likely to primary than Hillary Clinton. Also add Donald Trump to the GOP Primaries.

3. Add some independent candidates.. A poll done a few weeks back found that if Ron Paul or Bloomberg were to run as a third party candidate, they'd get around 15%. It could really shake up the election. I guess it'd be kinda hard to put Ron Paul as a GOP candidate AND the option as an independent. I suppose this game just needs the option of a losing candidate announcing a third party run.

4. Change some of the themes. Bin Laden, Libya, etc. could be added.

Some other candidates that could be included:

Democratic:

Russ Feingold

Alan Grayson

Mark Warner

Republican:

Tim Pawlenty (he actually did run o/c)

Donald Trump

Mitch Daniels

Rudy Giuliani

Thad McCotter (he ran too)

Independent/Third Party:

Michael Bloomberg

Jesse Ventura

Ron Paul

Gary Johnson

• Upvote 2

Do you have specific fixes you can post here, so we can look at incorporating them into the scenario? Otherwise, we have multiple versions of the scenario floating around, which gets confusing.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com - TheorySpark

Where gaming gets political!

hey guys i fixed some issues. can i upload the scenario?

This is something going on in the P4E8 game engine that I can't address at this point.

It probably has to do with undecideds from candidates that had 'bailed' before then being resolved after the convention.

No because after all the other candidates bailed it was Democratic/Republican tie, a .3 margin nationwide which is perfectly reasonable. And as soon as the convention ended, the Dems shot up 24 points and it was Democratic Solid, the next week it was This is Democratic Country.

Thanks for these ideas.

1. According to the information we have, some Republican primaries-caucuses before the end of March are best described as FPP.

See here: http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/events.phtml?s=c

If anyone has information which suggests otherwise, please let us know.

3. That's a good idea - noted.

1. If I remember correctly, the delegates was winner take all in the GOP primaries. To my knowledge, this year all primaries up until March have split delegates. After that, it is winner take all.

2. Add Kucinich to the Democratic primaries. He'd probably be more likely to primary than Hillary Clinton. Also add Donald Trump to the GOP Primaries.

3. Add some independent candidates.. A poll done a few weeks back found that if Ron Paul or Bloomberg were to run as a third party candidate, they'd get around 15%. It could really shake up the election. I guess it'd be kinda hard to put Ron Paul as a GOP candidate AND the option as an independent. I suppose this game just needs the option of a losing candidate announcing a third party run.

4. Change some of the themes. Bin Laden, Libya, etc. could be added.

Some other candidates that could be included:

Democratic:

Russ Feingold

Alan Grayson

Mark Warner

Republican:

Tim Pawlenty (he actually did run o/c)

Donald Trump

Mitch Daniels

Rudy Giuliani

Thad McCotter (he ran too)

Independent/Third Party:

Michael Bloomberg

Jesse Ventura

Ron Paul

Gary Johnson

Those are good suggestions. I love the scenarios with a lot of candidates. It provides the opportunity for more potential matchups in the primaries.

Some other possible candidates (sorry if they've been suggested already!)

Jeb Bush

Mike Huckabee (probably gave more thought to running then Palin did)

Bobby Jindal (seemed like a potential candidate during early speculation in 2009)

Some type of bug I just encountered. Came down to 3 candidates in the GOP primary (Me - Huntsman, Romney and Perry - CPU) and no one had the amount needed to win. Once it got to the convention, Romney dropped out, Huntsman (Me) and Perry only got 10% or so of Romney's delegates and the delegate totals were all screwed up.

bug-1.png

Some type of bug I just encountered. Came down to 3 candidates in the GOP primary (Me - Huntsman, Romney and Perry - CPU) and no one had the amount needed to win. Once it got to the convention, Romney dropped out, Huntsman (Me) and Perry only got 10% or so of Romney's delegates and the delegate totals were all screwed up.

bug-1.png

Wow you got that far with Huntsman? Impressive.

Wow you got that far with Huntsman? Impressive.

Medium difficultly. It's actually not too difficult. Just focus on foot soldiers and campaigning in Iowa and NH. If you can take both, use the momentum and fundraising to start running nation-wide ads. The rest should fall into place. :)

• Upvote 1

2012 scenario updated.

Download

v. 1.3

General ...

- updated scenario pic

New endorsers ...

- American Crossroads

- Des Moines Register

- New Hampshire Union Leader

New crusaders ...

- Barack Obama -> Van Jones, Rahm Emanuel, and Warren Buffett

- Rick Perry -> Joe Arpaio

New candidates ...

- Governor Tim Pawlenty

- Mr. Donald Trump

- Governor Mike Huckabee

- Governor Mitch Daniels

- Representative Paul Ryan

- Governor Haley Barbour

New events ...

- Super Committee Fails (another blow to Obama)

- Pakistan Border Strike

- Cain 13-Year Affair

New interviewers ...

- The Rachel Maddow Show

- On the Record with Greta Van Susteren

Ya, I've experienced this bug also. It's in the P4E8 game engine, and so can't be changed.

Ya, I've experienced this bug also. It's in the P4E8 game engine, and so can't be changed.

2 suggestions:

1) In light of recent polls, I think it would make sense to make Newt Gingrich a bit stronger (at least in IA and SC). Recent polls have him leading the race nationally, and sometimes by double digits. http://huff.to/vSDJhB And even by as much as 23 points in SC http://huff.to/vOQdwe

2) In light of the state of the race today (Cain likely to withdraw, Romney unable to do much better than 22%, Newt's surge, Perry's embarrassing debate performances), Sarah Palin would perform a good deal stronger than she did when I spacebarred through the race. She didn't win a single state, and barely cracked 10% anywhere she competed. Real life polling in 2011, even up to the time of her announcement not to run, showed her consistently in the top 4 and occasionally in the lead. Given the newfound "weak" Republican field, one would think if she had run, she would perform better.

Other than that, good beta so far.

I was wondering what the thoughts were with regards to the GOP's vice presidential candidates. Personally I felt that some listed were highly unlikely to even be on the short listed, regardless of who the nominee is. For instance, can anyone really imagine Jim DeMint ever accepting the running mate position? Would anyone really pick Allen West?

Felt I'd throw out these names for potential additions:

Condoleezza Rice

Tim Pawlenty

John Thune

Mitch Daniels

Jon Kyl (He's thoroughly hinted that he would accept if offered)

Lindsey Graham

Thoughts?

The PM4E Canada 2011 will be a minor update.

And will there be another update after or any official scenario? Or can we consider the game to be finished?

Van Jones is a joke. I know environmentalists like him, but otherwise he's stupider than Charlie Sheen. His claims regarding 9/11 and how debt isn't bad makes Sarah Palin look like Einstein.

Otherwise, good additions!

2012 scenario updated.

Download

v. 1.3

General ...

- updated scenario pic

New endorsers ...

- American Crossroads

- Des Moines Register

- New Hampshire Union Leader

New crusaders ...

- Barack Obama -> Van Jones, Rahm Emanuel, and Warren Buffett

- Rick Perry -> Joe Arpaio

New candidates ...

- Governor Tim Pawlenty

- Mr. Donald Trump

- Governor Mike Huckabee

- Governor Mitch Daniels

- Representative Paul Ryan

- Governor Haley Barbour

New events ...

- Super Committee Fails (another blow to Obama)

- Pakistan Border Strike

- Cain 13-Year Affair

New interviewers ...

- The Rachel Maddow Show

- On the Record with Greta Van Susteren

• Upvote 1

I'm assuming this will no longer be a problem in the 2012 engine?

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that's pretty much all you have to do to win. Win Iowa and New Hampshire and within a week, you are the front runner.

Medium difficultly. It's actually not too difficult. Just focus on foot soldiers and campaigning in Iowa and NH. If you can take both, use the momentum and fundraising to start running nation-wide ads. The rest should fall into place. :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback:

1. Right, except that the scenario starts in mid-Oct. with polling data for that time.

There could be another scenario that starts in late-Nov. with a stronger Gingrich (and so on) ...

2. We'll take a look at the Palin numbers - noted.

2 suggestions:

1) In light of recent polls, I think it would make sense to make Newt Gingrich a bit stronger (at least in IA and SC). Recent polls have him leading the race nationally, and sometimes by double digits. http://huff.to/vSDJhB And even by as much as 23 points in SC http://huff.to/vOQdwe

2) In light of the state of the race today (Cain likely to withdraw, Romney unable to do much better than 22%, Newt's surge, Perry's embarrassing debate performances), Sarah Palin would perform a good deal stronger than she did when I spacebarred through the race. She didn't win a single state, and barely cracked 10% anywhere she competed. Real life polling in 2011, even up to the time of her announcement not to run, showed her consistently in the top 4 and occasionally in the lead. Given the newfound "weak" Republican field, one would think if she had run, she would perform better.

Other than that, good beta so far.