270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScottM

Riding population data

I haven't been on much lately as I've had quite a bit going on (including 2 1/2 weeks out of the country), but I want to get back to work on my 2000 scenario. I've been trying to find historical riding population data to use in creating my scenarios and I'm hoping maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

• Upvote 1

I don't know for sure, but maybe the Elections Canada website has an archive with that type of data if you dig long enogh. Census Canada has population by city/town/village/rural municipality, but I'm not sure how helpful that'll be to a constituency-based accounting, and I wouldn't know whether to use the 1991 or 2001 census. Just some ideas, though maybe not the most practical ones.

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot! I found the information for 1997 and 2000 on the Elections Canada website.

Seems so obvious in retrospect. :lol: Thanks a lot for the help!

• Upvote 1

How is it going? Your others scenarios where really fun to play. I hope you'll finish this one soon.

Working on it a little at a time. This one will probably take a bit more time due to the fact that I'll have to edit riding information since there were only 301 in 2000.

BTW, I don't want to use the map that was used in the 2008 game for the 2000 scenario. I'd prefer to use a map with Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver separate from their provinces. Considering the fact that I'm not Canadian and I'm not very familiar with the old ridings, could someone suggest which ridings should be included in those metro areas?

Also, I'm considering maybe making editions of the 2004-2011 scenarios using the wonk map. Would anyone be interested in playing those?

• Upvote 1