270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
McTexas

UN Secretary General - 2006

I know I'm new here, but I absolutely love to play Presidents Forever and so many more of the 270soft games. The reason I'm here is that I'm pondering that, which of the games would be better for the creation of a UN Gen-Sec scenario? I know the UN is highly intricate with the security council and general assembly, but could this be done? I've tinkered with a scenario on P4EV 2008, and I only bring this up to the more skilled scenario creators for simple advice and a curious hope for some help. Thanks.

Hopefully to get some discussion to actually occur, here is a large list of possible candidates. The names in italics are those that have been created in the scenario, while all the others are the numerous possible that could have run or had been mentioned in some form or another. As for the "political parties", I've used the regional voting blocs of the UN to create parties to file all of these candidates. If you also notice, I've combined the Latin American/Caribbean with North America to form an "America's" grouping, while I did something similar with the Western and Eastern Europe regions. All of this is in a hope to help consolidize parties and candidates.

Asian Group

-Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister Ban Ki-moon, Eastern Asia(South Korea) (On)-

-Under Secretary-General for Communications and Public Information Shashi Tharoor, Southern Asia(India) (On)-

-Chancellor of Kabul University Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai, Southern Asia(Afghanistan) (On)-

-Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai, Southeastern Asia(Thailand) (On)-

-Prince Zeid bin Ra'ad Al-Hussein, Western Asia(Jordan) (On)-

-Former Under Secretary-General of Disarmarment Jayantha Dhanapala, Southern Asia(Sri Lanka) (On)-

-Prime Minister Jose Ramos-Horta, Southeastern Asia(East Timor) (Off)-

-President of the Japan International Cooperation Agency Sadako Ogata, Eastern Asia(Japan) (Off)-

-Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong, Southeastern Asia(Singapore) (Off)-

-Administrator of UN Development Programme Kemal Dervis, Western Asia (Turkey) (Off)-

-Executive Director of the UN Population Fund Thoraya Obaid, Western Asia(Saudi Arabia) (Off)-

-UN Advisory Board Member on Disarmarment Affairs Maliha Lodhi, Southern Asia(Pakistan) (Off)-

-Former Chief Secretary for Administration Anson Chan, China(Hong Kong) (Off)-

-Former Executive Director of UNFPA Nafis Sadik, Southern Asia(Pakistan) (Off)-

-Former Ambassador to the UN Kishore Mahbubani, Southeastern Asia(Singapore) (Off)-

-Former Senator Leticia Ramos-Shahani, Southeastern Asia(Philippines) (Off)-

-Former President Fidel Ramos, Southeastern Asia(Philippines) (Off)-

-Former Deputy Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim, Southeastern Asia(Malaysia) (Off)-

-Diplomat Razali Ismail, Southeastern Asia(Malaysia) (Off)-

-Ambassador to the United States Chan Heng Chee, Southeastern Asia(Singapore) (Off)-

European Group

-President Vaira Vike-Freiberga, Northern Europe(Latvia) (On)-

-Former President Aleksander Kwasniewski, Eastern Europe(Poland) (Off)-

-Former President Vaclav Havel, Eastern Europe(Czech Republic) (Off)-

-Prime Minister Tony Blair, Great Britain (Off)-

-President Tarja Halonen, Northern Europe(Finland) (Off)-

-Member of the European Parliament Niranjan Deva-Aditya, Great Britain (Off)-

-Former Prime Minister Gro Harlem-Brundtland, Northern Europe(Norway) (Off)-

-President Jacques Chirac, France (Off)-

America's Group

-Former Puisne Justice of the Supreme Court Louise Arbour, North America(Canada) (Off)-

-Former President Bill Clinton, America (Off)-

-Former Foreign Affairs Minister Carolina Barco-Isakson, South America(Colombia) (Off)-

-Former Prime Minister Jean Chretien, North America(Canada) (Off)-

-President Michelle Bachelet-Jeria, South America(Chile) (Off)-

-Interim President Elizabeth Odio Benito, Central America(Costa Rica) (Off)-

African Group

-International Criminal Court Judge Navanethem Pillay, Southern Africa(South Africa) (Off)-

-Member of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia Merkat Tallawy, Northern Africa(Egypt) (Off)-

-Foreign Minister Asha-Rose Migiro, Eastern Africa(Tanzania) (Off)-

-Former President Nelson Mandela, Southern Africa(South Africa) (Off)-

-Under Secretary-General of the United Nations Centre for Human Settlements Anna Tibaijuka, Eastern Africa(Tanzania) (Off)-

-Former UN Advisor and Envoy Lakhdar Brahimi, Northern Africa(Algeria) (Off)-

I'd actually suggest 'parties' be based on ideologies espoused by the UN, such as 'interventionism,' 'developmentalism,' or 'convservationism,' depending on their priorities, as examples. All parties being regional tends not to work in this engine.

I'd actually suggest 'parties' be based on ideologies espoused by the UN, such as 'interventionism,' 'developmentalism,' or 'convservationism,' depending on their priorities, as examples. All parties being regional tends not to work in this engine.

Interesting suggestion, I just may use that. So where would these parties support draw from? I would assume that the "Developmentals" would be more inclined for the 3rd world like Africa and Asia, while the "Interventionists" would come more from the Western Hemisphere. As for a "Conservationist", I suppose that could play the role of a fairly strong third party type group.

As I fiddle about with the regional parties vs ideological parties battle, here is a tentative list of political issues I've come up with. Feel free to critique and give advice, afterall these are probably going to be subject to some changes.

-Human Rights-

-Greater Representation-

-Poverty Crisis-

-Security Council-

-Migration-

-Climate Change-

-Reforms to United Nations-

-Diplomacy-

-Global Economy-

-International Aid-

-Peacekeeping-

-War on Terror-

-United States-

-China-

-AIDS Epidemic-

-Middle East Peace Talks-

-Nuclear Proliferation-

-Womens Rights-

As I fiddle about with the regional parties vs ideological parties battle, here is a tentative list of political issues I've come up with. Feel free to critique and give advice, afterall these are probably going to be subject to some changes.

-Human Rights-

-Greater Representation-

-Poverty Crisis-

-Security Council-

-Migration-

-Climate Change-

-Diplomacy-

-Global Economy-

-International Aid-

-Peacekeeping-

-War on Terror-

-United States-

-China-

-AIDS Epidemic-

-Nuclear Proliferation-

-Womens Rights-

By "Greater Representation," do you mean the proposal of the General Assembly being representative of population, instead of just one ambassador per nation, and possibly even elected? I think I understand the idea behind all the other issues.

By "Greater Representation," do you mean the proposal of the General Assembly being representative of population, instead of just one ambassador per nation, and possibly even elected? I think I understand the idea behind all the other issues.

By "Greater Representation", you are correct about the idea to reform the general assembly and other plans like the parliamentary assembly idea and electing representatives like the European Union does with it's member states. I have thought of labeling it something like "General Assembly" to make it more clear, but I thought "Greater Representation" is a more umbrella term.

-Human Rights-

-Greater Representation-

-Poverty Crisis-

-Security Council-

-Migration-

-Climate Change-

-Diplomacy-

-Global Economy-

-International Aid-

-Peacekeeping-

-War on Terror-

-United States-

-China-

-AIDS Epidemic-

-Nuclear Proliferation-

-Womens Rights-

I'd also add Millenium Goals as an issue. The positions could be how much effort should be put into them to archieve them.

I'd also add Millenium Goals as an issue. The positions could be how much effort should be put into them to archieve them.

It's an interesting possibility of adding the Millennium Development Goals(MDG), but what issue would you consider for deletion if I added the "MDG Adherence" issue?