270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
POLLWONK

President Al Gore- Presidential Election 2004

Hey guys,

I am going to be sending in a scenario for downloading...President Al Gore-Presidential Election 2004...

basic storyline...

"After winning narrowly in 2000, Al Gore has endured a first term with many difficult events. After 9/11 he seemed unbeatable. However, his Enviormental Act as well as a sluggish economy has alienated many voters within his own party. Some are doubting how dedicated he is to the War on Terror and addressing Terrorist Nations. Can he win?"

COMING SOON!

POLLWONK

• Upvote 2

Here are the Candidates!!!!

Candidates

Democratic

Al Gore

Tom Daschle

Russ Feingold

Evan Bayh

Possibilities: Dick Gephardt, Hillary Clinton

Republican

John McCain

Bill Frist

George Pataki

Newt Gingrich

Rick Santorum

Jeb Bush

Mitt Romney

Olympia Snowe

Ron Paul

Alan Keyes

Orrin Hatch

Possibilities: George W. Bush, Trent Lott, George Allen, John Boehner, Elizabeth Dole, Jim DeMint

• Upvote 1

The basic timeline during the fictional presidency of Al Gore...

2001:

January...Inaugurated.

March: Economy enters the 2001 recession.

September: 9/11 occurs. Gore becomes popular. Gore declares War on Terror.

October: US invades Afghanistan.

November: US overruns and occupies Afghanistan.

2002:

February: Intelligence informs Gore and America that Iraq may have WMD. Republicans call for action.

May: Gore proposes the controversial "Enviormental Protection Act of 2002" which is met by much critisism due to its vast regulation policies and increased funding to enviormental organization. Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle voices his opposition to the law while other Senate Democrats consider rejection.

June: "Enviormental Protection Act" is voted on in the US Senate where it is rejected in a 39-60 vote. A gang of 12 Democratic senators including Tom Daschle, Russ Feingold, and Evan Bayh protest the bill and demand sections be repealed. Gore lightens up some of the restrictions and bill passes narrowly in the US Senate 52-48 without the support of Daschle and Bayh. Only the Republican support of Olympia Snowe along with the tie-breaking vote of Vice President Joe Lieberman manages to pass bill through Senate.

July: President Gore seeks UN resolution investigating Iraq's WMD programs. US House votes on "Envioronmental Protection Act" and narrowly approves it in a 220-215 vote. Gore's popularity slides due to controversial law and a growing perception of "timidness" toward Iraq.

October: The UN Security Council approves of a Resolution demanding Iraq to release its information regarding its WMD programs.

November: Largely due to disorganization within their party, the Democrats lose two Senate seats and eight House seats. Republicans choose Bill Frist as Senate Majority Leader.

2003:

January:The 108th Congress convenes with the Republicans immediatly drawing up plans to repeal "Enviormental Protection Act". Gore vetoes repeal.

February: Iraq sends in WMD report which is riddled with mistakes, loopholes, and traps. Republicans immediatly call Gore to prepare to invade Iraq. Gore however refuses to invade Iraq.

May: Gore submits a request for a 2nd UN resolution which would put down sanctions upon Iraq. Republicans argue for a stronger military presence near Iraq. 2nd resolution rejected by UN. Republicans call for military action against the Iraqis.

July: US Economy continues its decline significantly. Gore proposes a series of tax hiks to stimulate economic growth. Republicans reject immediatly and propose a series of tax cuts.

August: In a compromise deal, Gore and the Republicans agree to remove certain taxes while raising others.

• Upvote 1

June: "Enviormental Protection Act" is voted on in the US Senate where it is rejected in a 39-60 vote. A gang of 12 Democratic senators including Tom Daschle, Russ Feingold, and Evan Bayh protest the bill and demand sections be repealed. Gore lightens up some of the restrictions and bill passes narrowly in the US Senate 52-48 without the support of Daschle and Bayh. Only the Republican support of Olympia Snowe along with the tie-breaking vote of Vice President Joe Lieberman manages to pass bill through Senate.

Although a bill can bass de jure with 52 votes, de facto it require 60 votes to break a filibuster and thus the bill could not be passed with 52 votes. Other then that this looks great.

You might want to consider a split in the Gore Administration after his decision not to invade Iraq, with VP Lieberman, a classic Democrat hawk, breaking with Gore and mounting a challenge against him in the primaries, and another running mate being selected by Gore.

• Upvote 1

I actually wrote up such a scenario and got a lot of the work done, though it was based on another's ideas who also posted in this forum. Basically Lieberman can run as a Democrat, a Republican, or an Independent, the later being almost Perot-like. I'm going to end up pulling up the files and seeing what I had to compare them to what you currently have to offer as a base.

Also the Environmental Protection Act would never succeed. I had imagined something similar being proposed, but the combination of Republicans and those Democrats serving in the Rust Belt would have killed it. Obama or rather Congress also tried similar during the Democrat's high period from '09-'11 with it barely passing the House and not even being considered in the Senate.

I see what you mean...how about this...

Gore tries to pass the Enviormental Protection Act, yet it immediatly gets rejected and turned away by Congress (like how Clinton's health care reform bill was a disaster...)

I'll probably send out a new storyline...

I actually wrote up such a scenario and got a lot of the work done, though it was based on another's ideas who also posted in this forum. Basically Lieberman can run as a Democrat, a Republican, or an Independent, the later being almost Perot-like. I'm going to end up pulling up the files and seeing what I had to compare them to what you currently have to offer as a base.

Also the Environmental Protection Act would never succeed. I had imagined something similar being proposed, but the combination of Republicans and those Democrats serving in the Rust Belt would have killed it. Obama or rather Congress also tried similar during the Democrat's high period from '09-'11 with it barely passing the House and not even being considered in the Senate.

• Upvote 2

That is a good idea... I tried making Gore show some determination in making Saddam quit.

How bout this...

"THough standing alongside his boss on most issues, Joe Lieberman has been reportedly urging President Gore to take a tougher stance against Iraq."

You might want to consider a split in the Gore Administration after his decision not to invade Iraq, with VP Lieberman, a classic Democrat hawk, breaking with Gore and mounting a challenge against him in the primaries, and another running mate being selected by Gore.

• Upvote 1

The basic timeline during the fictional presidency of Al Gore...

2001:

January...Inaugurated.

March: Economy enters the 2001 recession.

September: 9/11 occurs. Gore becomes popular. Gore declares War on Terror.

October: US invades Afghanistan.

November: US overruns and occupies Afghanistan.

2002:

February: Intelligence informs Gore and America that Iraq may have WMD. Republicans call for action.

May: Gore proposes the controversial "Enviormental Protection Act of 2002" which is met by much critisism due to its vast regulation policies and increased funding to enviormental organization. Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle voices his opposition to the law while other Senate Democrats consider rejection.

July: President Gore seeks UN resolution investigating Iraq's WMD programs. US House votes on "Envioronmental Protection Act" and narrowly approves it in a 220-215 vote. Gore's popularity slides due to controversial law and a growing perception of "timidness" toward Iraq.

October: The UN Security Council approves of a Resolution demanding Iraq to release its information regarding its WMD programs.

November: Largely due to disorganization within their party, the Democrats lose two Senate seats and eight House seats. Republicans choose Bill Frist as Senate Majority Leader.

2003:

January:The 108th Congress convenes with the Republicans immediatly drawing up plans to repeal "Enviormental Protection Act". Gore vetoes repeal.

February: Iraq sends in WMD report which is riddled with mistakes, loopholes, and traps. Republicans immediatly call Gore to prepare to invade Iraq. Gore however refuses to invade Iraq.

May: Gore submits a request for a 2nd UN resolution which would put down sanctions upon Iraq. Republicans argue for a stronger military presence near Iraq. 2nd resolution rejected by UN. Republicans call for military action against the Iraqis.

July: US Economy continues its decline significantly. Gore proposes a series of tax hiks to stimulate economic growth. Republicans reject immediatly and propose a series of tax cuts.

August: In a compromise deal, Gore and the Republicans agree to remove certain taxes while raising others.

@POLLWONK

Senator Feingold has one of the best records for protecting the environment. It very unlikely that Russ Feingold would vote against protecting the environment.

• Upvote 1

Correct, but the scenario is built in a way that Gore's policy is so overreaching and unreasonable that even members of his own party refuse to support it for reasons ranging for economically to politically. I don't think Feingold would support all of Gore's initiatives. I think Feingold would present an alternative. Plus, discontentedness with Gore's lack of concern over the economy could convince Feingold to toss his hat into the ring.

@POLLWONK

Senator Feingold has one of the best records for protecting the environment. It very unlikely that Russ Feingold would vote against protecting the environment.

• Upvote 1

Let's not make this into a policy discussion. No offense, but I prefer to keep things loose without any real arguments over policy. ;)

Do you have any suggestions for candidates?

Not even a leftist like Al Gore could argue that tax hikes stimulate economic growth.

• Upvote 1

For the Republicans Senator Lincoln Chafee of Rhode island, Democrats, you could include Grey Davis, if he was not recalled, because he was considered a candidate for president in 2004

Hmm...That would be interesting...I don't think Chafee would have run. He is pretty liberal. Grey Davis though would be interesting. I'll look into it...

POLLWONK

For the Republicans Senator Lincoln Chafee of Rhode island, Democrats, you could include Grey Davis, if he was not recalled, because he was considered a candidate for president in 2004

• Upvote 1

Not even a leftist like Al Gore could argue that tax hikes stimulate economic growth.

Only someone with a very limited and one sided knowledge of economics could think that tax cuts stimulate growth.

please, can we keep political views out of this?!?!? I respect all of your opinions, but I also want to maintain some peace here.

Only someone with a very limited and one sided knowledge of economics could think that tax cuts stimulate growth.

• Upvote 1