270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
danieldlmn

Osama bin Laden dead

I think that we can all agree justice has been done...though al-Qaeda will obviously try to avenge bin laden's death. I think Obama is going to be a boost in the polls. I'd say anywhere between 5%-15%. This will probably shift more voters to be believe in his War on Terror plan than before. However, remember what happened to Bush Sr. He was in the high 80s% when he liberated Kuwait, then it crashed before the primaries. I have a feeling it will be a much needed, yet short lived boost to Obama. Economic problems and other issues will most likely fill voters minds by 2012 and bin laden's death will seem far off.

Here's my take on what will happen with obama's approval

May '11 after Bin Laden death: Mid 50s%

September '11: Dips below 50%

January '12: Drops to about 45%

June '12: Drops below 40%

November '12: Hovers in the high 30%s and low 40%s.

Still, I congratulate the President and the US military on this historic accomplishment. :D USA! USA!

I think that we can all agree justice has been done...though al-Qaeda will obviously try to avenge bin laden's death. I think Obama is going to be a boost in the polls. I'd say anywhere between 5%-15%. This will probably shift more voters to be believe in his War on Terror plan than before. However, remember what happened to Bush Sr. He was in the high 80s% when he liberated Kuwait, then it crashed before the primaries. I have a feeling it will be a much needed, yet short lived boost to Obama. Economic problems and other issues will most likely fill voters minds by 2012 and bin laden's death will seem far off.

Here's my take on what will happen with obama's approval

May '11 after Bin Laden death: Mid 50s%

September '11: Dips below 50%

January '12: Drops to about 45%

June '12: Drops below 40%

November '12: Hovers in the high 30%s and low 40%s.

Still, I congratulate the President and the US military on this historic accomplishment. :D USA! USA!

Except Bush the Elected's popularity and subsequent drop was because of something completely different to the situation we have now. Obama hasn't gone and started a war, surging with popularity, only to lose it. This is Obama cleaning up the mess left by the previous administration.

Sure, the economy will be a big issue at the 2012 election, but where the Republicans were hoping national security wouldn't be an issue, the Democrats will certainly make it an issue, and Obama will be on the popular side of the issue.

EDIT: I'm going to add a bit more.

The economy is an important issue, but if you lost a loved one in 9/11, how much do you care that it's not as easy to get a job when the death of your loved one has finally been avenged? Come polling day, are those people who lost someone in 9/11 (and there are a lot of them), thinking about how the economy might be better under a Republican candidate, or are they going to be thinking about how the president did what he predecessor couldn't - bring some closure, in taking down the man responsible for the tragic events of that day.

My feeling is that voters will be less likely to punish the president for the economy, seeing it less and less as his fault. It was, after all, a remnant from the Bush administration, just like Osama.

Not to mention, just about everybody who has suffered from 9/11 who wouldn't normally vote, will most likely be energised into voting to reelect the man who took out the bad guy.

The people who underestimate the importance and significance of the death of Osama are forgetting not about the thousands of lives that were lost, but of the millions of lives that were affected.

• Upvote 1

The 2012 election will be a referendum on the economy. Although it's great that he was caught, it will be short lived. Especially for an electorate with a short-term memory and a belief that foreign policy should be going well. The election is still a year and a half away, and with $5 gas, an out of control debt, and the unpopular health care bill, it still will be competitive.

• Upvote 1

The 2012 election will be a referendum on the economy. Although it's great that he was caught, it will be short lived. Especially for an electorate with a short-term memory and a belief that foreign policy should be going well. The election is still a year and a half away, and with $5 gas, an out of control debt, and the unpopular health care bill, it still will be competitive.

I reject the 'short term memory' claim. Even after a decade, Americans still remember that Osama was so bad that his death was worth taking to the streets in celebration of.

I say it is an insult to the memory of those who lost their lives in 9/11, to say that the death of the man responsible will be forgotten by next year. Voters aren't going to have going through their head "the unemployment figure has climed 0.2% in the last two months, the president must go!" when they can contemplate that Obama finally did what Bush never could, and brought Osama to justice.

The economy was going pretty bad all throughout the Bush years, but no one cared because national security was far more important. Bush won 2004 based solely on that. Don't sell the significance of Osama's death so short.

• Upvote 1

I reject the 'short term memory' claim. Even after a decade, Americans still remember that Osama was so bad that his death was worth taking to the streets in celebration of.

I say it is an insult to the memory of those who lost their lives in 9/11, to say that the death of the man responsible will be forgotten by next year. Voters aren't going to have going through their head "the unemployment figure has climed 0.2% in the last two months, the president must go!" when they can contemplate that Obama finally did what Bush never could, and brought Osama to justice.

The economy was going pretty bad all throughout the Bush years, but no one cared because national security was far more important. Bush won 2004 based solely on that. Don't sell the significance of Osama's death so short.

Gas wasn't anywhere close to $5 back in 2004, unemployment was below 8%, the debt wasn't even near where it is today, and the economy wasn't on the brink. The Osama issue will help Obama on his foreign policy. But the economy is the economy, and living like most people are now isn't going to be a game changer just because a man (who should've been caught ages ago) was killed. This argument can easily be turned into a Bush vs. Obama argument, but the electorate is going to look at if their life since Obama took office and if it has gotten better. I don't see Osama changing that view people have in that area. The only thing that really changes, is Donald Trump, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, not being able to run. I'm not saying they were planning to in the first place, i'm saying that it makes the field more serious. Because this was a wake up call for the GOP that Obama is going to be more difficult to defeat, but not impossible as many expect.

Gas wasn't anywhere close to $5 back in 2004, unemployment was below 8%, the debt wasn't even near where it is today, and the economy wasn't on the brink. The Osama issue will help Obama on his foreign policy. But the economy is the economy, and living like most people are now isn't going to be a game changer just because a man (who should've been caught ages ago) was killed. This argument can easily be turned into a Bush vs. Obama argument, but the electorate is going to look at if their life since Obama took office and if it has gotten better. I don't see Osama changing that view people have in that area. The only thing that really changes, is Donald Trump, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, not being able to run. I'm not saying they were planning to in the first place, i'm saying that it makes the field more serious. Because this was a wake up call for the GOP that Obama is going to be more difficult to defeat, but not impossible as many expect.

That's the thing. Osama should have been caught years ago. But Bush never managed to. He even said he never lost any sleep over it. Obama getting Osama is just Obama cleaning up some of the mess left behind by Bush. You also can't forget that the economy hit the big 'global financial crisis' while Bush was still in office. The state of the economy is just another mess left over by the Bush administration.

Like I keep saying, I don't think anyone who was actually affected by 9/11 will be caring about a percentage figure or the price of 'gas' when they can know for sure that the man responsible for their suffering has been brought to justice. The economy goes from bad to good to bad to good all the time. But 9/11 was a tragedy unparalleled in US history. Thousands of people died, and millions of people were directly affected by it. Finally, the man responsible for the largest terrorist attack on US soil has been caught.

• Upvote 1

If Bush dug the hole why is Obama holding the shovel?

If Bush's economic plan TARP was the reason why we have a poor economy, then why did Obama copy TARP...boost it with money...and pass three of them under the title "Stimulus"?

If the Democrats are really dedicated to homeland security, why did they oppose the invasion Iraq, support a set in stone withdrawal from Afghanistan, and shutting down Guantanamo Bay?

That's the thing. Osama should have been caught years ago. But Bush never managed to. He even said he never lost any sleep over it. Obama getting Osama is just Obama cleaning up some of the mess left behind by Bush. You also can't forget that the economy hit the big 'global financial crisis' while Bush was still in office. The state of the economy is just another mess left over by the Bush administration.

Like I keep saying, I don't think anyone who was actually affected by 9/11 will be caring about a percentage figure or the price of 'gas' when they can know for sure that the man responsible for their suffering has been brought to justice. The economy goes from bad to good to bad to good all the time. But 9/11 was a tragedy unparalleled in US history. Thousands of people died, and millions of people were directly affected by it. Finally, the man responsible for the largest terrorist attack on US soil has been caught.

what exactly was Bush's mess? Without the intelligence gathered from the Bush era, Bin Laden would still be partying in that mansion of his...

what exactly was Bush's mess? Without the intelligence gathered from the Bush era, Bin Laden would still be partying in that mansion of his...

Without the war on Iraq, Osama would have been caught years ago.

• Upvote 1

Without the war on Iraq, Osama would have been caught years ago.

That's debatable & not supported by hard facts. What we know is that Obama wanted to leave the middle east in 2006. To quote him, "The war is lost." Now if Obama or any democratic president was around then, we would of never caught Osama. It was Bush who took the popularity hit and kept our troops their and led the overall intelligence for Obama to take over.

It was Bush who...led the overall intelligence for Obama to take over.

The bin Laden section in the CIA was created under President Clinton in 1996. It was disbanded under President Bush in 2005.

The bin Laden section in the CIA was created under President Clinton in 1996. It was disbanded under President Bush in 2005.

CIA Director Leon Panette admitted on NBC that they continued tortured tactics to get details on Bin Ladens where abouts.

They didn't give up trying to find him, they just downgraded the priority. My point was that President Bush's leadership of the intelligence effort to locate Osama bin Laden wasn't much good.