270soft Forum
mz452

Prime Minister Forever - Canada 2011

So...I just bought the new game and was pretty disappointed. I realize that it's new and that the campaign is still going on but there are major flaws in it.

-update candidates and percentages (MLA's would not normally poll at 10% as this scenario suggests. I'm not saying that they'll win but not a single MLA running in this election will perform that badly.)

-Voters (I just played a space-bar game and with 100% of the votes in the North West Territories was reporting 113,648 votes while there are not even 50,000 people that live there let alone registered voters.

-Coalitions/After the election. I thought you guys said that if no one claimed a majority of the seats then you would be able to do something to try and win support. Instead the GG just picked someone. Hmmm

The game is new and understandably has flaws but if I could get a refund I would gladly do so.

• Upvote 1

So...I just bought the new game and was pretty disappointed. I realize that it's new and that the campaign is still going on but there are major flaws in it.

-update candidates and percentages (MLA's would not normally poll at 10% as this scenario suggests. I'm not saying that they'll win but not a single MLA running in this election will perform that badly.)

-Voters (I just played a space-bar game and with 100% of the votes in the North West Territories was reporting 113,648 votes while there are not even 50,000 people that live there let alone registered voters.

-Coalitions/After the election. I thought you guys said that if no one claimed a majority of the seats then you would be able to do something to try and win support. Instead the GG just picked someone. Hmmm

The game is new and understandably has flaws but if I could get a refund I would gladly do so.

The Government Forming simulation would take a long time to create, it would require a new engine even, let's be realistic here. The other complaints are understandable, but you are being a bit rude.

• Upvote 1

The Government Forming simulation would take a long time to create, it would require a new engine even, let's be realistic here. The other complaints are understandable, but you are being a bit rude.

My intention was not to be rude, I was being honest. The games would never improve if people weren't honest.

• Upvote 1

Furthermore, I played as Ignatieff and I had 100 seats to Harper's 108 with the rest of the seats going to Left-Wing parties. I was pleased to have the GG elect me, as there are considerations other than seat numbers when it comes to the GG's selection, which wasn't the case in previous versions.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the, erm, constructive feedback.

1. Any specific ridings or candidates you have in mind here? (Or do you mean MPs? If so, the only riding I can think of like that is Simcoe-Grey, where the incumbent Guergis was booted from Cabinet and is running against a high-quality Conservative candidate. In the game, Guergis starts at 15%, but I've upped it to 25% in the latest internal version.)

2. Detailed riding population data was added in v. 1.2.1. Here.

3. The game currently has automatic minority government resolution, looking at whether various parties are willing to work with other parties, instead of just picking the party with the most seats. I'm looking at adding an interactive aspect to this.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

Where gaming gets political!

• Upvote 1

I may have mentioned this same issue re: Congress Forever, but I noticed it on PM4E Canada 2011 last night as well:

On election night, if you pause the game and click on a province, apparently I can only view the riding at the top of the alphabet, as the backward and forward arrows that I normally use for scrolling through ridings do not work. On top of that, the simulated "time" moves so quickly that I probably could not even click through each riding in, say, the Maritimes before Quebec or even Ontario start rolling in, unless I constantly move back and forth by scrolling to a riding, pausing to look, unpausing, scrolling to another riding, pausing again, etc.

To me, this takes some of the fun out of election night, since on a real election night there would be at least some time for examining results seat-by-seat and watching the counting progress in close ridings, instead of having everything pour in so quickly that a lot of the counts are over before you even look at them once. And it has me half-thinking of going and editing the xml files to leave 3-4 simulated hours between each province.

So, is this deliberate? Or is it just a bug?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for this - I'll take a look at the pausing and changing ridings problem.

For election night speed, it should take about 5 minutes for election night to play through. Can you confirm your game version number?

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

I may have mentioned this same issue re: Congress Forever, but I noticed it on PM4E Canada 2011 last night as well:

On election night, if you pause the game and click on a province, apparently I can only view the riding at the top of the alphabet, as the backward and forward arrows that I normally use for scrolling through ridings do not work. On top of that, the simulated "time" moves so quickly that I probably could not even click through each riding in, say, the Maritimes before Quebec or even Ontario start rolling in, unless I constantly move back and forth by scrolling to a riding, pausing to look, unpausing, scrolling to another riding, pausing again, etc.

To me, this takes some of the fun out of election night, since on a real election night there would be at least some time for examining results seat-by-seat and watching the counting progress in close ridings, instead of having everything pour in so quickly that a lot of the counts are over before you even look at them once. And it has me half-thinking of going and editing the xml files to leave 3-4 simulated hours between each province.

So, is this deliberate? Or is it just a bug?

• Upvote 1

This has now been fixed, new version should be released later today.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

On election night, if you pause the game and click on a province, apparently I can only view the riding at the top of the alphabet, as the backward and forward arrows that I normally use for scrolling through ridings do not work.

• Upvote 1

I just started playing the demo and I noticed that ridings that have had by-elections since 2008 still have 2008 percentages.

I'm bringing this up because there is no way that Kevin Lamoureux (Winnipeg North) only has 9%.

Other than that, great game!

• Upvote 1

Thanks! Updated Winnipeg North to approximately C 20, L 35, NDP 45 in the latest internal version. Should be in version 1.2.4 tonight.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

I just started playing the demo and I noticed that ridings that have had by-elections since 2008 still have 2008 percentages.

I'm bringing this up because there is no way that Kevin Lamoureux (Winnipeg North) only has 9%.

Other than that, great game!

• Upvote 1

A few notes:

-Going to the ad window, clicking on "Create ad", and immediately cancelling at the "Select a player to focus ad on" window uses up a CP.

-The NDP's logo is out of date. The new one, with different colours and an imperceptibly different design, is at ndp.ca/logos

-A few candidates I've noticed should probably have three stars instead of two: Nycole Turmel in Hull-Aylmer and Roméo Saganash in Abitibi-Baie James-Nunavik-Eeyou have both pretty consistently been described as star candidates for the NDP. A lot of Bloc incumbents are missing their third star: in Gatineau, Richard Nadeau, in Jeanne-Le Ber, Thierry St-Cyr, in Hochelaga, Daniel Paillé, in Laval, Nicole Demers. Liberal incumbent Pablo Rodriguez is missing his in Honoré-Mercier. Sandy Lee, in NWT, is a territorial cabinet minister. A lot of ridings have former MPs running again, but without the three stars - Parkdale High-Park has Peggy Nash for the NDP, Brant has Lloyd St. Amand for the LPC, Kitchener-Waterloo and Kitchener Centre have Andrew Telegdi and Karen Redman, respectively, Papineau has Vivian Barbot for the Bloc.

-On the converse, I don't understand why Rebecca Blaikie has three stars in Winnipeg North. Just her name? She has a pretty "machine" and low-profile resume, politically: president of the Québec section of the party, party treasurer, political staffer in the Manitoba government.

-You're still missing a bunch of Liberal candidates, including Saskatoon-Rosetown-Biggar, Edmonton-Stratcona, Nanaimo-Cowichan, and Nunavut (where the former Premier of the territory is running.)

-The Conservative and Bloc blues are very hard to tell apart in the strategy screen, especially in the "weak" shades.

-I can't find the endorsements. If they've been removed, the Crusader creation screen still mentions PIPs, which I don't think do anything anymore.

-The date of the French debate is wrong. It was held on the 13th, not the 14th.

-Regional ads are way too cumbersome to use now. The old way was much better - you could see where each ad was running, and set it to run or not run in multiple regions at once from the same screen. The new interface has no easy way to do that, as far as I could tell.

A great release, but obviously, there are so many cracks in something like this, a lot of things are bound to fall through ;) . Thanks for your hard work!

• Upvote 1

The only way to transfer scenarios from PM4E 2008 format to PM4E 2011 format right now is manually.

Is there any way to transfer the scenarios from the PM4Ever 2008 version to the 2011 model?

Hi Chajusong, thanks for these - all noted. Finalized candidates (i.e., the missing Liberals) from Elections Canada are in the latest release v. 1.2.4.

For the other points, changes should be in the next release.

Re: Blaikie: yes, name recognition.

A few notes:

Hey Anthony,

I'm sure you've seen the coverage on this Conservative candidate in Saskatoon and the abortion issue. As well as the NDP candidate in Northern Saskatchewan making a gaffe comparing the residential schools to the holacaust. Just curious if you plan on incorporating either of these into headlines, spin, momentum, etc.

BTW, the riding of "Wetaskiwin, Alberta" is unnamed in the game (the riding name in the xml file is an empty string).

I've played through the game three times now twice on easy and once on medium. I played as Harper all three times and won a majority all three times with anywhere from 190 to 265 seats. I thought I'd give a few observations about the game.

First, I love the new features added to the game. I enjoy having more control over the individual ridings than existed in the 2008 version. The polling, targeting, and watch list options give a much more realistic feel to the game.

Another thing I like is that while in the 2008 version, it seemed like every time I played my momentum would tank out of the blue for no apparent reason, that hasn't happened in this version. Momentum is much more steady. Again, it makes it feel more realistic to me.

I also like the option of creating more than one ad at a time, as well as being able to have more than four ads at a time. I also think it was a good idea to make ad creation cost a CP. All of the new options make you consider your strategy much more carefully.

I have noticed that it seems to take a lot longer to research a scandal. Where it seemed I could create 3 or 4 a lot of times in the 2008 version, so far I've only been able to create 1 per game in the 2011 game. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, I guess it depends on the player.

It does seem to me that the Green Party is a bit too strong. They've hit double digits every time I've played. Once, they got as high as 11.3%. It just seems like they should be reigned in a bit.

All-in-all, I think you guys did a great job. This is an improvement of PM4E 2008, and I think has a lot of potential to get even better with a bit of fine tuning. Thumbs up!

It does seem to me that the Green Party is a bit too strong. They've hit double digits every time I've played. Once, they got as high as 11.3%. It just seems like they should be reigned in a bit.

I've noticed that, I gained as many as four seats with them. I'm sure that this will be resolved by the final release, though :) .

Is there going to be any chance of preferences appearing in this? I'd be curious to see how the dynamics of Canadian elections change if preferences as in the Australian games were turned on.

• Upvote 1

I just played through the game as Layton on the medium difficulty level. I won 138 seats to Harper's 108. Since no one had a majority, of course, the election went to the Governor-General. Not surprisingly I was selected as PM. What was surprising to me was what I saw on the election performance screen. While my performance was considered "Masterful," I was told that my party "will not be a part of the new government." How can I not be part of the new government when I was selected as Prime Minister? I found that puzzling to say the least...

I just played through the game as Layton on the medium difficulty level. I won 138 seats to Harper's 108. Since no one had a majority, of course, the election went to the Governor-General. Not surprisingly I was selected as PM. What was surprising to me was what I saw on the election performance screen. While my performance was considered "Masterful," I was told that my party "will not be a part of the new government." How can I not be part of the new government when I was selected as Prime Minister? I found that puzzling to say the least...

Yeah, that glitch happened to me as Ignatieff, that should be fixed in the next release.