270soft Forum
appelb

Canada 2011

I also find the Wonk Map more realistic.

BTW, Layton should be given a 2 on stamina. Ignatieff should be a 3 on experience, Layton a 4, Harper a 5, Duceppe a 5, May a 3.

For the French language bonus, let's put Harper, Ignatieff and Layton at +1, May at 0 and Duceppe at +2.

Other medias:

Radio-Canada

TVA

A-Channel

OMNI TV

CITY TV

Endorsers for each "Wonk" region:

The Globe and Mail

The Toronto Star

The National Post

The Vancouver Sun

The Province

The Winnipeg Free Press

The Star-Phoenix

The Calgary Herald

The Edmonton Journal

The Toronto Sun

The Ottawa Citizen

La Presse

Le Devoir

Le Soleil (Quebec City)

Montreal Gazette

The Chronicle-Herald

MacLean's

Canadian Labour Congress

Council of Canadians

FTQ

Fraser Institute

Montreal Economic Institute

Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives

David Suzuki Foundation

Greenpeace

Sierra Club

An idea, on very small margins, could we ask for a recount as in real life?

A-Channel was taken over by City-TV. They're now the same outfit. I know because my cousin was a reporter for the Edmonton branch of A-Channel when City-TV took over. They even renamed A-Channel to match their own local networks, so it actually became City-TV in our and other locales.

Thanks Matvail for these suggestions - we don't have a recount mechanism in the game right now, but it's noted.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

Where gaming gets political!

I also find the Wonk Map more realistic.

BTW, Layton should be given a 2 on stamina. Ignatieff should be a 3 on experience, Layton a 4, Harper a 5, Duceppe a 5, May a 3.

For the French language bonus, let's put Harper, Ignatieff and Layton at +1, May at 0 and Duceppe at +2.

Other medias:

Radio-Canada

TVA

A-Channel

OMNI TV

CITY TV

Endorsers for each "Wonk" region:

The Globe and Mail

The Toronto Star

The National Post

The Vancouver Sun

The Province

The Winnipeg Free Press

The Star-Phoenix

The Calgary Herald

The Edmonton Journal

The Toronto Sun

The Ottawa Citizen

La Presse

Le Devoir

Le Soleil (Quebec City)

Montreal Gazette

The Chronicle-Herald

MacLean's

Canadian Labour Congress

Council of Canadians

FTQ

Fraser Institute

Montreal Economic Institute

Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives

David Suzuki Foundation

Greenpeace

Sierra Club

An idea, on very small margins, could we ask for a recount as in real life?

If you have Libya as an issue, will you use Gadhaffi's solid green flag that's technically official, or the green, black, and red-striped flag with the crescent of King Ibris I's regime that the rebels are using in the issue's icon, out of curiousity?

If we use flags, then probably both.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

If you have Libya as an issue, will you use Gadhaffi's solid green flag that's technically official, or the green, black, and red-striped flag with the crescent of King Ibris I's regime that the rebels are using in the issue's icon, out of curiousity?

Issues

Afghanistan

Budget and Debt

Business Taxes

Childcare

Crime

Defence

Economy

Energy

Environment

Gun Control

Healthcare

Immigration

Libya

Parliament Reform

Personal Taxes

Provincial Powers

Quebec

US Relations

There's one problem though, I was playing the 1988 scenario as Broadbent on medium and I got 103 seats compared to 132 for Mulroney, 56 for Turner and 4 for Manning. The computer said that Mulroney would form the government, when in reality, Broadbent probably would've formed the government in that situation. There needs to be a post election government forming simulation.

CPAC is another canadian News/Political Channel they should be included

The election debate scandal.

The girls not being allowed at the conservative event..

the conservative party being discriminatory.

the ongoing debate over that guy with a criminal record working in the PMO's office..

and so on and so on.. I'm sure there will be more to come.

So when will we see this new version come out, and how much will it cost people that previously purchased 2008?

Yes, this might be especially important in 2011 as well.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

There's one problem though, I was playing the 1988 scenario as Broadbent on medium and I got 103 seats compared to 132 for Mulroney, 56 for Turner and 4 for Manning. The computer said that Mulroney would form the government, when in reality, Broadbent probably would've formed the government in that situation. There needs to be a post election government forming simulation.

Hasn't been decided yet. There will be a discount for PM4E Canada 2008 owners, though.

how much will it cost people that previously purchased 2008?

This coming week, aiming to coincide with the debate on Tu. As with any of these predictions, this is just a prediction, though.

Any word on the release date for the 2011 edition?

I suggested a decent mechanism for forming minority governments in one of the Australia threads a few months ago.

It basically involved parties changing their policy on certain issues to minimise the "platform-distance" between them. Each day you could offer the cross-benchers something (change on issue stance, cabinet seat, etc.), and so would the opponent parties. Polls would also come out during this time which won't affect how the parties treat you, but might be important if after say a 30 day benchmark neither major party is able to form government, at which time, you have to go back to election!

During this process, you lose points for changing your stance on issues, so you could form government by changing all of your issue stances, but you'd probably end up in the negative for doing so. You would also lose more points for changing stance on more important issues, but doing so would gain you more support from the other party(s) you are courting.

Party relations would also have to have something to do with it. Possibly also things like candidate integrity (high integrity means you'll lose more points for changing your stance, but gain more support for doing so), corruption (high corruption will mean you lose less points, but have to change stance on more issues), leadership would have to be a bonus, as would debating, issue familiarity and charisma (all of which, as we saw in Australia last year, are important when negotiating with cross-benchers to form government).

• Upvote 1

I think you've named some of the major ingredients - platform distance and relations seem the most important.

I suggested a decent mechanism for forming minority governments in one of the Australia threads a few months ago.

It basically involved parties changing their policy on certain issues to minimise the "platform-distance" between them. Each day you could offer the cross-benchers something (change on issue stance, cabinet seat, etc.), and so would the opponent parties. Polls would also come out during this time which won't affect how the parties treat you, but might be important if after say a 30 day benchmark neither major party is able to form government, at which time, you have to go back to election!

During this process, you lose points for changing your stance on issues, so you could form government by changing all of your issue stances, but you'd probably end up in the negative for doing so. You would also lose more points for changing stance on more important issues, but doing so would gain you more support from the other party(s) you are courting.

Party relations would also have to have something to do with it. Possibly also things like candidate integrity (high integrity means you'll lose more points for changing your stance, but gain more support for doing so), corruption (high corruption will mean you lose less points, but have to change stance on more issues), leadership would have to be a bonus, as would debating, issue familiarity and charisma (all of which, as we saw in Australia last year, are important when negotiating with cross-benchers to form government).

This coming week, aiming to coincide with the debate on Tu. As with any of these predictions, this is just a prediction, though.

if you plan to release this during the election, will you by chance, have updates for events that happen after your initial release?

Yes. Also see here.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

if you plan to release this during the election, will you by chance, have updates for events that happen after your initial release?

Yes. Also see here.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

one thing I would like to suggest is allowing any of the parties to be turned off initially instead of having to go in and editing the files.. but thats not a problem.. after all just turning off the greens really is just off tone of the current election, why not the bloc, or libs, conservative or ndp..

will there be an upgrade price for those that own 2008 or is it full price? not that I'm arguing with either since I am a programmer as well and know how much work goes into quality games.

will there be an upgrade price for those that own 2008 or is it full price?

See post #38 in this thread: Link. It looks like there will be a discount :).

Yes, you can turn any of the parties off. I'll reword the post to make that more clear.

one thing I would like to suggest is allowing any of the parties to be turned off initially instead of having to go in and editing the files.. but thats not a problem.. after all just turning off the greens really is just off tone of the current election, why not the bloc, or libs, conservative or ndp..

will there be an upgrade price for those that own 2008 or is it full price? not that I'm arguing with either since I am a programmer as well and know how much work goes into quality games.

Just curious, is there a scenario creator for PM4E 2011? I know there wasn't a separate program for scenarios in 08, so I'm wondering if it's just a matter of making new files? I was hoping on starting the creation of a Saskatchewan 2011 and Manitoba 2011 scenario.

No - but yes, you can make new scenario folders and edit the XML in them.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

Just curious, is there a scenario creator for PM4E 2011? I know there wasn't a separate program for scenarios in 08, so I'm wondering if it's just a matter of making new files? I was hoping on starting the creation of a Saskatchewan 2011 and Manitoba 2011 scenario.