270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HarryBarclay

European Union 2010

Finally, after much too long, I have managed to get this together. It's not exactly finished - it needs folks with more time on their hands than I have who are keen to test out some of the various candidates. I think there's a general problem that it's too easy for PES, so if anyone can give me some pointers for improvements, that'd be great.

A few points on how it works / how I've worked it out:

This is the election for President of the European Council, better known (colloquially) as the European President. The role is currently held by Herman van Rompuy, who was appointed President by the European Council of Ministers at the end of last year. This scenario is a simulation of how it might have been had the role been elected instead.

The current President is appointed by the Council. Given that each member of the Council has a set number of votes I reckoned the best simulation was to use the P4E+P 2008 engine, which uses an electoral college, rather than a more proportional system.

For the opening ridings, I used the results of the 2009 European Parliamentary election. Seemed the most appropriate. Issue positions for member states were based on the European Commission's opinion polling, the Eurobarometer, which conducts surevys on pretty much everything.

Anyway, give it a whirl:

European Union 2010

I must say this scenario looks great. At first glance my only problem is the absence of a far-right/eurosceptic/populist party. If you ever decide to make an expansion of the scenario, that's the thing I'd throw in for sure.

EDIT: oh, I also spotted a small factual inaccuracy: Vehofstadt served two, rather than three terms as Belgian PM.

You have Finland showing as Sweden's flag. Also, I think you've misspelled Le Monde as La Monde.

How true. And how embarrassing. I have made the changes. They are:

- Verhofstad served two terms as Belgian PM

- Le Monde is now an interviewer

- Sweden has Sweden's flag. Not Finland's.

The same link in my original post directs you to the updated version.

Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated...

• Upvote 1

As a Belgian, I can tell you that Verhofstadt served three terms. The purple-green coalition from 1999 to 2003, the purple coalition from 2003 to 2007 and the blue-orange coalition from dec. 2007 to march 2008.

As a Belgian, I can tell you that Verhofstadt served three terms. The purple-green coalition from 1999 to 2003, the purple coalition from 2003 to 2007 and the blue-orange coalition from dec. 2007 to march 2008.

I don't really consider Verhofstadt III to be an actual government, but in theory you're absolutely right. So I think I owe HarryBarclay an apology.

Good to see another Belgian on here.

I don't really consider Verhofstadt III to be an actual government, but in theory you're absolutely right. So I think I owe HarryBarclay an apology.

Good to see another Belgian on here.

Well whatever the weird thing was between June and December 2007, that wasnt a caretaker government. But Verhofstadt III was inaugurated and so was later Leterme I. And in game terms, Verhofstadt III certainly contributed to the experience and image of said PM.

And Hello :)

I must say the scenario is really good.

However, I would think it would be a good idea to have an Eurospectic party to put all the political parties groups in the Euro parliament (except for the EUL-NGL group).

The candidates could be:

Nigel Farage

Francesco Speroni

Philippe de Villiers

Niki Tzavela

Timo Soini

I must say the scenario is really good.

However, I would think it would be a good idea to have an Eurospectic party to put all the political parties groups in the Euro parliament (except for the EUL-NGL group).

The candidates could be:

Nigel Farage

Francesco Speroni

Philippe de Villiers

Niki Tzavela

Timo Soini

Why not include the EUL-NGL? They have seats in the Parliament.

Hey y'all.

First, it's been pointed out to me that the link above did not work. It should be fixed now, but let me know if not.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8whi2a51bg35g1c

I have updated Verhofstad's profile, specifying him as a "multiple term" Belgian PM - I hope that settles dispute.

Both Patine and Matvail2002 above make good points - and why shouldn't there be EUL-NGL candidates / far right-eurosceptics?

First, EUL-NGL is not a political party, it's a European Parliament bloc - which is subtly different. If I was going to include a far-left group it would be the Party of the European Left. The same goes for the Eurosceptics, but it is even more difficult to run a specific party to cater for their needs - hence why I included the Reform group (this is a little hypocritical - I'm not sure they're a political party at all...).

I am tempted to add a far-left group to the scenario, but not right away. The one thing I would say is that I don't think P4E+P2008 works especially well with lots of parties.

HB