270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Actinguy

President Forever 2012 Announced?

So theoryspark.com has a link saying "President Forever 2012 announced! Details coming! Pre-order now!" with a link that takes you straight to a site asking for your credit card info.

Uh...no?

Listen, I'm going to buy 2012 of course. But I need something more than the NAME of a product before I buy it. It just seems like a really offensive marketing strategy to me. I mean, if you don't even care enough to tell me ANYTHING about the game before asking for my money...then I have to wonder, how much care did you put into the actual game development?

I thought you should know what an otherwise happy, paying customer thought of that campaign.

Thank you for your time.

-Ted

I assume that the game engine will be the same as C4E and PMFA2010?

Probably. But who knows? For all the facts we have, "President Forever 2012" could be the name of a new computer virus Theoryspark has intentionally developed, and we're paying for the priviledge of SOMEDAY getting to download to and infect our computers with it.

I'm being ridiculous of course, but it's true. You can't just say, "I made something and here's it's name. Now give me my money." If they really have absolutely nothing at all to tell us about the game...not a SINGLE THING other than the name...then how are they ready to start accepting payments?

The business model that EVERY OTHER game developer follows is: Announce product, release a few details (maybe a demo), build up excitement, AND THEN ask for money when people are tripping over themselves with desire to play with your awesome new invention. Yet Theoryspark is doing it ass backwards.

It's that desperation for cash RIGHT NOW that makes me worry that 2012 may be so rushed that it's simply new candidates on the 2008 model...which I already made myself, after ALREADY having paid Theoryspark for the priveledge (campaigns 4 ever).

I don't think I'm being unreasonable in saying that I would like SOMETHING...ANYTHING...before I just start handing over my cash, and it's offensive to be treated otherwise.

Probably. But who knows? For all the facts we have, "President Forever 2012" could be the name of a new computer virus Theoryspark has intentionally developed, and we're paying for the priviledge of SOMEDAY getting to download to and infect our computers with it.

I'm being ridiculous of course, but it's true. You can't just say, "I made something and here's it's name. Now give me my money." If they really have absolutely nothing at all to tell us about the game...not a SINGLE THING other than the name...then how are they ready to start accepting payments?

It's that desperation for cash RIGHT NOW that makes me worry that 2012 may be so rushed that it's simply new candidates on the 2008 model...which I already made myself, after ALREADY having paid Theoryspark for the priveledge (campaigns 4 ever).

I don't think I'm being unreasonable in saying that I would like SOMETHING...ANYTHING...before I just start handing over my cash, and it's offensive to be treated otherwise.

Although I think you're going a tad too far, I for the most part concur with you.

Hi Actinguy,

Thanks for the feedback - and your concerns are reasonable ... up to a point.

I just had time to put up a link, and not time to put up additional information at that point. To be clear: we will take our time with President Forever 2012, we're not rushing anything out. This is just an opportunity for people who want to get in on the Beta early and give feedback.

Why do we do a Beta this way? Because we've tried public Beta and private (i.e., Beta sent to people who pre-order), and the private model seems to work better. We don't care so much about the cash as the commitment by the Beta testers.

Again, more info here: http://80soft.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=11116

Any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them,

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!