270soft Forum
admin_270

Prime Minister Forever - Australia 2010 Beta Feedback Thread

Hi thanks for getting this out before the Australian election I know the election was called in a rather quick fashion.

I like the new layout but obviously it is beta.

The program does not seem to be running preferencing?

The candidates are still the ones from the 2007 election

There are crusaders like "Obama" going around? (Obama still has not visited Australia though he has planned about 4 trips to Australia and cancelled all of them)

There are more than four parties running in this election and each of them will I expect have a major impact on who wins today.

Also the number of voters at the end seems to be well below the Australian electoral roll and we have compulsory voting.

Thanks again for all your work on this if there is anything I can do to help please let me know

Glad to see a Beta finally released. Apart from the obvious problems with endorsers and crusaders, it was o.k. And only o.k.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't like the CF2010 engine being used to run this game. I was hoping for maybe just an updated and improved BPMF2010 to be used. Sorry to say the the congress style elction campaigns have put me off a bit. The new engine was fine for Congress, but i dont think for Austrailia.

The one thing I don't like is that the leader can only barnstorm in one electorate per day (in PMF UK2010, the limit was 3) -- if you can do 3 or more, please let me know how.

I hope that the final version of this new Prime Minister Forever - Australia can reflect the actual results that have happened here in Australia this year!

I expect we'll probably be going to the polls again within a year!

What exactly did you like more about BPM4E2010's game engine as opposed to C4E2010?

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

Glad to see a Beta finally released. Apart from the obvious problems with endorsers and crusaders, it was o.k. And only o.k.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't like the CF2010 engine being used to run this game. I was hoping for maybe just an updated and improved BPMF2010 to be used. Sorry to say the the congress style elction campaigns have put me off a bit. The new engine was fine for Congress, but i dont think for Austrailia.

Yes, this is all being put in. The latest Beta, which should be released later today, will have 2010 starting numbers.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

I hope that the final version of this new Prime Minister Forever - Australia can reflect the actual results that have happened here in Australia this year!

I expect we'll probably be going to the polls again within a year!

This is probably going to be modified to allow as many Barnstorming activities per turn as desired (with each one taking a CP and EPs).

Thanks for the feedback,

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

The one thing I don't like is that the leader can only barnstorm in one electorate per day (in PMF UK2010, the limit was 3) -- if you can do 3 or more, please let me know how.

The Numbers do seem to be alot better now, I hope as it develops that it does allow for preference voting as preferences had a big impact in this election in Australia. It was the preferences in many seats that caused them to change hands.

Yes, this is all being put in. The latest Beta, which should be released later today, will have 2010 starting numbers.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

Yes, preferences are the next major feature to be implemented.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

The Numbers do seem to be alot better now, I hope as it develops that it does allow for preference voting as preferences had a big impact in this election in Australia. It was the preferences in many seats that caused them to change hands.

What exactly did you like more about BPM4E2010's game engine as opposed to C4E2010?

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

Maybe it's just me, but I like being free to campaign as party leader, plain and simple. I think adding in detailed management for each seat was good for CFE 2010, because that is the nature of the american campaign. Britian and Australia run a lot more traditional campaigns. I like the simplicity of just going out barnstorming and giving speeches, and targeting specific seats for extra barnstorming or footsoliders if I want, not managing every single candidates specific campiagn.

Hmmm ...

There is targeting in both. There is 'Foot Soldiers' in one, and 'Ground Ops' in the other. The extra things are seat specific polling, transfer of funds, and the ability to research scandals on seat specific candidates, and the ability to run ads in specific seats. Are these the things you're referring to?

Thanks for feedback on this,

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

Maybe it's just me, but I like being free to campaign as party leader, plain and simple. I think adding in detailed management for each seat was good for CFE 2010, because that is the nature of the american campaign. Britian and Australia run a lot more traditional campaigns. I like the simplicity of just going out barnstorming and giving speeches, and targeting specific seats for extra barnstorming or footsoliders if I want, not managing every single candidates specific campiagn.

Hmmm ...

There is targeting in both. There is 'Foot Soldiers' in one, and 'Ground Ops' in the other. The extra things are seat specific polling, transfer of funds, and the ability to research scandals on seat specific candidates, and the ability to run ads in specific seats. Are these the things you're referring to?

Thanks for feedback on this,

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

Not so much the specific pooling. But yes funding individual seats and researching specific scandals are 2 of the things I dont like. Maybe it's just me, but I think this takes away from the game by over complicating an already complicated game. Perhaps I'm just too picky.

1. Greens suddenly become 'Independents' at the end of the game.

2. If you play with all set to Human, i've found it crashes midway through the campaign.

3. Will you be releasing a campaign editor any time in the near future? I'd love to run a campaign trying to win a seat for the democrats! And if so, can you add these parties?

4. Will a version of the senate be implemented?

Thanks in advance,

Dev'o

1. Thanks - noted.

2. Noted.

3. Which parties? The FFP is one that might be added, as they polled significant numbers in a number of districts. (For a campaign editor: no, not anytime soon. The XML files can be edited with a text or XML editor, though.)

4. We don't currently have plans to add a senate scenario.

Anthony Burgoyne

1. Greens suddenly become 'Independents' at the end of the game.

2. If you play with all set to Human, i've found it crashes midway through the campaign.

3. Will you be releasing a campaign editor any time in the near future? I'd love to run a campaign trying to win a seat for the democrats! And if so, can you add these parties?

4. Will a version of the senate be implemented?

Thanks in advance,

Dev'o

Ok, thanks - noted.

Anthony Burgoyne

Not so much the specific pooling. But yes funding individual seats and researching specific scandals are 2 of the things I dont like. Maybe it's just me, but I think this takes away from the game by over complicating an already complicated game. Perhaps I'm just too picky.

1. The debate is set to 8/24 (which is after the election).

2. Gillard's starting location is set to S.E. Queensland (she's from Lalor, Melbourne)

3. Truss's starting location is set to NSW (he's from Wide Bay, S.E. Queensland)

4. Bonner, QLD candidate Ross Vasta is going to sit as a Liberal MP*

5. Wright, QLD candidate Scott Buchholz is going to sit as a National MP*

6. Flynn, QLD candidate Ken O'Dowd is going to sit as a National MP*

7. Leichhardt, QLD candidate Warren Entsch is going to sit as a Liberal MP*

8. In my opinion, Flynn, QLD should be in the regional political unit of Queensland (instead of S.E. Queensland) as it's boundaries are clearly outside of S.E. Queensland.

9. Should Bandt be the GRN Leader?

10. Should one of the IND MPs be the IND Leader?

*See Adam Carr (Psephos)'s Election 2010 Map located here: http://psephos.adam-carr.net/countries/a/australia/2010/mapindex20102.shtml

to 9. I think Bob Brown needs to be the Greens Leader even though is not a candidate for the lower house, was not known outside of the electorate that he was running.

to 10. I would question having a IND leader at all as they weren't running an organised campaign between them, in many ways they should be four separate parties with each only running one candidate in the electorates in which they were running.

On another note it would be good to be able to have a negotiation process when the result in the game is a hung parliament. Then how you've treated those four independents if they win becomes really important.

2. Gillard's starting location is set to S.E. Queensland (should be Melbourne)

3. Truss's starting location is set to NSW (should be S.E. Queensland)

8. In my opinion, Flynn, QLD should be in the regional political unit of Queensland (instead of S.E. Queensland) as it's boundaries are clearly outside of S.E. Queensland.

*See Adam Carr (Psephos)'s Election 2010 Map located here: http://psephos.adam-carr.net/countries/a/australia/2010/mapindex20102.shtml

to 10. I would question having a IND leader at all as they weren't running an organised campaign between them, in many ways they should be four separate parties with each only running one candidate in the electorates in which they were running.

That wouldn't work, because there are other independent candidates (12 total to be exact). I guess you could do split them into Independent-Right and Independent-Left, but you can't do 1 IND per party.

On another note it would be good to be able to have a negotiation process when the result in the game is a hung parliament. Then how you've treated those four independents if they win becomes really important.

Well, for that to work, they would need to implement Coalitions, so it can accurately count the seats. (I agree that they need to add that, along with 2PP)

A few more items:

1. The first recap screen say (for example) P.M. Julia Gillard, Chair of the Gillard, welcome to the election. Could "Chair of the Gillard" be changed to "Leader of the Labor Party"?

2. The Strategy screen header says (for example) "Gillard Strategy". Could that be changed to "Labor Strategy" or "LAB Strategy"?

3. Also, I noticed a bug where the game creates "phantom" crusaders (their name is a long number), and If you cancel their creation, the game freaks out and gives you (in one case) 450,000,000 CPs for one turn. This also happens in Congress Forever 2010.

All noted. Yes, I'm thinking of putting Katter as leader of the Independents, simply because he was getting disproportionate media time after the election. Feedback welcome on this,

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

2. Gillard's starting location is set to S.E. Queensland (she's from Lalor, Melbourne)

3. Truss's starting location is set to NSW (he's from Wide Bay, S.E. Queensland)

A few more things:

1. When the game loads, the following message appears: Your committee, the Gillard, has $35,000,000 to begin with. Should that be changed to: The Labor Party has $35,000,000 to begin with.?

2. On the Party information screen (pre-game load), the leader's name says "Julia Gillard (Gillard)". Could the "(Gillard)" be dropped?

3. Is there a way to switch leaders (ie. Switch Gillard with Rudd)?

4. Dawson, QLD candidate George Christenson is going to sit as a National MP.

5. The Electorates of Barton, Indi, and Batman are spelled barton, indi, and batman in the game (they need to be capitalized).