270soft Forum
jjnolla

Candiate Editor for Congress Forever 2010?

I would like to know if there's going to be a candidate editor feature for Congress Forever, as it seems that the amount of money and cp's is very unrealistic.

The fundraising is also unrealistic.

Who can think of running a campaign for the 435 house seats with only $35 million?

• Upvote 2

That is a great question. It would be great to be able to add events, add parties/canddiates, etc, with Congress Forever, in the same way we can with President Forever + Primaries. Any chance of this becoming a reality?

If you have a reference which shows where the NRCC, DCCC, and so on, have significantly more cash on hand than what they begin the game with, by all means let me know. See here, for example, for April's numbers:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/20/nrcc-out-raises-dccc-but-trails-substantially-in-cash-on-hand/

If you want to edit the numbers, though, you can. Use an XML or text editor on the scenario's parties.xml file.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

I would like to know if there's going to be a candidate editor feature for Congress Forever, as it seems that the amount of money and cp's is very unrealistic.

The fundraising is also unrealistic.

Who can think of running a campaign for the 435 house seats with only $35 million?

I would like to see a scenario editor happen, but don't know when or if.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

That is a great question. It would be great to be able to add events, add parties/canddiates, etc, with Congress Forever, in the same way we can with President Forever + Primaries. Any chance of this becoming a reality?

• Upvote 1

I guess the question here is whether C4E is meant to replicate the experience of running the DCCC or NRCC, or if it is meant to allow the player to be a sort of overarching "head honcho" of the contest for the House, in a way that probably doesn't exist in real life. A lot more than $35 million per side will be spent on House elections, but much of it will come from individual candidates' campaigns and from independent groups.

My own feeling is that I'd like to have a little more control over what's going on in the game, even at the expense of realism, so I have tried playing through once with the file edited to give both sides more money.

If you have a reference which shows where the NRCC, DCCC, and so on, have significantly more cash on hand than what they begin the game with, by all means let me know. See here, for example, for April's numbers:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/20/nrcc-out-raises-dccc-but-trails-substantially-in-cash-on-hand/

If you want to edit the numbers, though, you can. Use an XML or text editor on the scenario's parties.xml file.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

If they wanted to get fancy, they could give each candidate starting funds that relate to their individual fundraising totals. After all, the data on candidate fundraising is rather public, I believe.

Hi guys,

Feedback noted - to be a big wet blanket, this won't happen anytime soon. We have way too much on our plate right now. We'll see what happens for 2012.

So, how are the edits being done right now? I assume names are simply being changed somewhere in the programming? No one really tells you on here exactly how it's being done.

Changes to scenarios? With the XML files in the scenarios folder.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

Where gaming gets political!

So, how are the edits being done right now? I assume names are simply being changed somewhere in the programming? No one really tells you on here exactly how it's being done.

Party candidate names: parties.xml

Local candidate names: political_units.xml

Map: combination of map.bmp and political_units.xml

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

Where gaming gets political!

I've been all through there; there's no way to change candidate names or maps, that kind of thing. Or is there, and I haven't found it?

It's been a while. :P It took me a long time to get an .xml editor that actually allowed me to see the data. Anyway, I'm running into trouble changing parties for local candidates; for instance, changing Mark Begich to a Republican. When I directly change the party id tag to "republican", it works, but I receive an error message in the game when I double-click Alaska like it doesn't recognize it. I also changed the party id tag in percentages.xml... Is there any other place I need to change it in order for it to work correctly?

Thanks!