270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MMC_Bismarck

Help need with map

I am doing a scenario for C4E and would be very thankful for an assistant who would do the map for me. I am really bad at that and so I need some help. I think it would not take much time to create the map and I would provide the person with all necessary information.

Thanks in advance!

I am creating scenario of the Electoral Palatinate in the borders of the 18th century but with today's political parties and strengths.

This is my first scenario and I put much effort in it. I would be very glad for your help and hope it is not too much work.

The central guideline is the following map: http://www.kartografie.com/progr/bilder/kurpfalz2.swf

Some province are quite easy to describe with a look at this map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/XkDE-BW_landtagswahlkreise_kreise_2006.svg

Region I: 34

Region II: 35+36

Region III: 37

Region IV: 39

Region V: 40

Region VI: 38

Region VII: 41

The next regions are again to be done with the first map: http://www.kartografie.com/progr/bilder/kurpfalz2.swf

Region VIII: In the southeast --> the exclaves of about Bretten, Eppingen and Weingarten.

Region IX: North of Mannheim --> about the towns of Viernheim, Lampertheim, Heppenheim, Lorsch and Bürstadt.

Now west of the Rhine river:

Region X: Ludwigshafen (city)

Region XI: about Frankenthal, Heßheim, Lambsheim

Region XII: about the area around Neustadt

Region XIII: about the area around Germersheim

Region XIV: about the area around Landau

Region XV: about the area around Kaiserslautern

Now the northwest:

Region XVI: about the area around Alzey

Region XVII: about the area around Oppenheim

Region XVIII: about the area around Bad Kreuznach

Region XIX: about the area around Ingelheim

Region XX: about the area around Simmern

I am ready to answer any question, of course.

2 ideas for a German regional election scenario pop up on the same day! I'm all for this.

I will give you additional information when my work on the scenario is almost finished and the map is finished, too.

At the moment, I have nearly finished all ridings for the regions.

OK. The Baden-Wuerttemberg part is easy because I have a map that scales well. Also, the regions are adaptations of modern Kreise (districts) of that Land (state).

The Pfalz part is more difficult because the modern boundaries are not much to do with the regions: http://en.wikipedia....map_%281%29.png

What I am going to do is create a map without boundaries, then ask for guidance about where I should draw the boundaries. That will depend on which ridings are in which regions.

MMC_Bismarck, in the kurpfalz2.swf map, is Electoral Palatinate equal to the area coloured in the dominant light-green colour? Is this what you want the outline of the map to look like?

Can you also explain more about your scenario, just to satisfy my curiosity? Which parties are strong in "Electoral Palatinate"? It looks like a Federal CDU stronghold.

The regions of Pfalz are as those of Baden-Wuerttemberg constituencies of elections on the state level (Landtagswahlen).

At first I found only a map for those of Baden-Wuerttemberg which I gave to you but luckily I have now also found one for Rheinland-Pfalz:

http://www.wahlen.rlp.de/ltw/info/wk/wahlkreise_ltw2011.pdf

Page 7: Survey with all four areas

Page 8: Area 1+2

Page 9: Area 3+4

Region X to XX correspond to them as follows:

Region X: Area 3 --> 35+36

Region XI: Area 3 --> 34

Region XII: Area 4 --> 42

Region XIII: Area 4 --> 51

Region XIV: Area 4 --> 49

Region XV: Area 4 --> 43+44+45

Region XVI: Area 3 --> 33

Region XVII: Area 3 --> 31

Region XVIII: Area 2 --> 17

Region XIX: Area 3 --> 30

Region XX: Area 2 --> 16

I hope that helps you.

In the end comparing the constituencies with the accurate historical map there are small parts that are (uncorrectly) not included and small parts that are (uncorrectly) included. But overall the picture of the Electoral Palatinate should be quite fine like that.

You could refine the map by accounting for every single municipality but that would be quite an extra effort, particularly for creating the map, and I don't know if that's worth it.

Ok, as an extra benefit I give you the participating parties:

- Christian Democratic

- Social Democratic

- Free Democratic

- Greens

- Left

- Free Voters

- Republicans

- Independent

MMC_Bismarck, in the kurpfalz2.swf map, is Electoral Palatinate equal to the area coloured in the dominant light-green colour? Is this what you want the outline of the map to look like?

Can you also explain more about your scenario, just to satisfy my curiosity? Which parties are strong in "Electoral Palatinate"? It looks like a Federal CDU stronghold.

Exactly, the light green is the area of the historical Electoral Palatinate. The Electoral Palatinate would have inherited the dark green parts in 1799 but that never happened because the Electoral Palatinate was disintegrated by Napoleon before.

It is quite late now but I will give you more information tomorrow. But you are quite right that the area is quite dominated by the CDU except for some regions like Heidelberg (Greens) and Mannheim (SPD). But I try to design the scenario in a way that it is fun to play even when you are not managing the CDU.

At first I found only a map for those of Baden-Wuerttemberg which I gave to you but luckily I have now also found one for Rheinland-Pfalz:

Yes, this makes things much easier.

Here's progress on the map so far. The first thing I am doing is creating a black outline around the Electoral Palatinate area. After that, I can use imaging software to remove most of the information outside the outline, notably the large dark green areas, one of which is already deleted. This will yield a map of only Electoral Palatinate.

MMC_Bismarck, I've sent you a private message.

Sorry that I have been off that long but I am now readfy to complete the scenario.

How do I design region_variables i.e. how do I now what position each region has on the map?