270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Treasurer

Scenario Creation Wish List

This is just to outline what variety of historical scenarios should be improved, in the geographical sense. A reminder of what can and could be done. What's plentiful, and what's lacking! Obviously the answer to all this would be having more scenario creators, which equates to more frequent releases. Of course, most of us here do like to dabble in fictional/alternative works too, but we also like to re-create history that's set in stone.

I'll talk about the various areas and rate the collections.

Let's first look at the 5 nations covered by Theoryspark. I feel all these nations should have both national and local election representations.

USA Collection -Very satisfying. This is clearly the most advanced listing of user-made scenarios.

National elections: All election from 1976 onwards are covered, alongside many re-workings and alternatives, especially with 2008. Gap between 1960 -1976 (I know this is trying to be filled). Gap between 1936-1960. pre-1932, we have one 19th century and one 18th century presidential election. Add to that Congress Forever and House of Representative elections (on PMFE), 2002, 2004 and 2006 I think.

Locals: Strong variety of gubernationals alongside some senatorials and 1 district election (Oklahoma). There's also 2 mayoral elections. I've counted 21 states out of 50. That's less than half, but most of the big states are represented with the one obvious exception being Texas.

Canada Collection - Strong. This is toe-to-toe with the US. I would say the nationals are slightly more developed than the UK's, but slightly less developed than the US.

Nationals: All elections from 1972-2008 are there. Impressive, however there is nothing user-made before 1972. Only Theoryspark's 1867 scenario.

Locals: Quite impressive. Canada has the best local representation. Nearly all provinces are represented bar Prince Edward Island and Northwest Territories, and it's not unusual for each province to have 3 or more different year elections. Could do with more by-elections. There's only 1.

UK Collection - Good. The third strongest collection. Doesn't have far to go to take over Canada in the nationals(I'd say add 1 or 2 more new general elections), but could do with more locals.

Nationals: All elections are covered except 2001 in the time period of October 1974 - 2010, largely with great thanks to EGaffney. 1 pre-1974, 1910, thanks to Display Name. What's also missing is European UK elections, but that's in the works. Also there are nationwide leadership elections. Although these are partly fictional, as the vote is transferred from the party members to the general electorate, the polling of the real result is simulated. All 3 main parties have 1 election each, all pretty significant.

Locals: Good as well. We now have NI, Wales and Scottish representation at their prospective Parliament/Assembly. 1 of each. We have 11 council elections including 2 county council, of mostly English representation and 1 Scottish. No Welsh or NI representation. A few by-elections have been made, about 3-4. We also have 1 London mayoral election. Because there is such a wide berth of councils and constituencies, it would take many more for the locals collection to be strong. Not forgetting Westminster region/city elections, which focus on selective areas of the UK-wide elections.

German Collection - Decent. Quite a large gap from UK to Germany, which did not have any user-made scenarios until recently.

Nationals: All German elections 2002-2009. Gap between 1990-2002. 5 Chancellor election. A fairly recent collection spiced up with a 1933 Weimar election with great thanks to RI Democrat. Without that, the collection would be adequate. Unknown how much it will develop on this scale, but I have said before, I would like to go back to Germany, and soon I actually will as you'll read on.

Locals: None! No regional "Landkreis" elections! That's why I am going to take one on board (very likely a recent one, which will have higher priority on UK council elections), sooner rather than later. Unless some German scenario creator comes along.

Australia Collection - Adequate.

Nationals: Only 3 elections, 1 user-made, 1996, 2004 and 2007. No 1998 or 2001.

Locals: Nothing! I remember some time ago Patine was going to one for New South Wales(?), but there was no interest. Now I think there should be some kind of local representation for Australia.

Now let's look at what's left over, overlooking the continents (bar North America) and what would make a strong collection of scenarios from that area. From now on, only the nationals apply.

Let's look first at Europe, which is one of the most developed continents after North America scenario. Let's look at the countries already represented:

Europe

UK

Ireland

France

Italy

Germany

Austria

It's on the right track with emphasis on Western Europe.

For Europe to have a strong collection, it would need to include:

Most of the western nations, and must include Spain, so really, Belgium, Netherlands and Spain would suffice. 2 Scandinavian national elections (Finland and Iceland would do it), and at least 3 Eastern European nations. Not too sure, but maybe should include Russia. Was there not a Russian scenario for the original President Forever? If so, does anyone have it?

Africa

Presently there are no scenarios for Africa historically. But we have 1 or 2 coming along.

For Africa to have a strong collection, it would need to include:

8 nations, which must include South Africa and possibly Nigeria (large oil industry) and Egypt (large tourism industry), Nigeria the most important of the 2 (Funnily enough, which I didn't notice as of writing, they are also the most populated African nations along with Ethiopia). At least 1 from the south (South Africa), 1 from the west, 1 from the East and 1 from the north, and then it's take your pick.

Asia

There are very few Asian scenarios if I recall, and there have been none released for any of the recent versions of the game. As China doesn't have elections, that will have to be missed out. Could do Taiwan instead. You also have Saudi Arabia, which have had election only recently, but there are no political parties.

For Asia to have a strong collection, it would need to include:

Iran, India (in the the works?) and Japan (in the works). 2 further nations from the East such as South Korea and so on. At least Afghanistan or Iraq, 1 or the other. 2 other countries from the west/central. Take your pick from Israel, Yemen, Pakistan etc. Turkey is also acceptable.

South and Central America

Merged together and also containing Mexico

For South and Central America to have a strong collection, it would need to include:

Mexico, Brazil and Argentina. Mexico is included, because the one I have on Chancellor Forever is a fictional work. Add to that 3 other South American countries, and 2 central American. We already have EGaffney's Antigua and Barbuda election, Patine's Jamaica would suffice for central america, so that's 2 for central america already.

Oceania

This is a small continent that now doesn't really need many scenarios to make it a strong collection. We already have Australia and New Zealand representated with more than 1 election. All that would be needed is one of the island nations like Fiji.

As a fellow Brit I think British scenarios should take priority. I am soon to announce a Dudley 2011 scenario (which I myself may be standing in) but need better access to ridings first.

I am going to construct mine differently. One third of the council is up for election next may. Instead of fighting 20 seats however I shall put in all 60, but in seats not up for election I shall have the incumbent candidate running unopposed (eg. In Pedmore 3 for example Tim Collins (Con) will be the only candidate as he won in 2010 but in Pedmore 2 the riding will be open!). This will make it more realistic and challenging.

Whilst waiting for better data for that I will make the Smith 2002 one and possibly a Wolverhampton council 2010 (where the Tory-Lib pact governs with a majority of one now) and this Scotland one I promised.

How would you feel about re-doing '87 with the new regions too?

All the best

I suppose one of the reasons why the 1964 and 1972 US Presidential Elections have not yet been created is because the General Elections in both of them were one-sided. The closest fought elections have always been high on the priority list. The 1968 US Presidential Election scenario was probably the most popular non-default scenario in the history of TheorySpark games.

Of course, the beauty of games like this is that there is really no end to the possible list of scenarios. If all US Presidential Election scenarios are evetually created, then there's endless alternate history and fictional scenarios that can be made too.

As a contribution to this, I'm going to create a ridings_data file for the 1970 election. The constituencies are the same for every election since 1955, and substantially the same for the elections between 1950 and 1955.

Once you get back to then, if I recall correctly, the boundaries become quite unrelated to population numbers. Logically, 1970 would be one of the most disproportionate elections in the post-war era.

I do plan to do my part to fill out the list. Certainly, such exotic countries as Jamaica, Japan, and Uganda are on the list, as are many early- to mid-19th-Century US elections and two turning point early Alberta elections (as a resident of Alberta, that's very dear to my heart; it's too bad TheorySpark's official AP4E scenarios already cover most of them). I would also like to do a New South Wales election if anyone is interested.

I'm also going to make a new map, because once you get back to the 1960s, a lot of the English administrative boundaries were different (e.g. no Greater London, three big ridings of Yorkshire). And the principle of roughly equal region sizes within England is hugely violated. For instance, in 2010, the "Central London" region in my map has fewer constituencies than either Central England or Home Counties North. One fewer, to be precise: 34, 35, 35. But in 1970, "Central London" has more constituencies than the two of those combined.

Im in the middle of NI assembly 1998 and planning Ireland 1922 and Germany 1919. If I am succesful in these I will probably attempt more scenarios from European elections.

Generally, It's good to outline what can be done with a set of goals, as it may (or may not) encourage new people to take up Historical scenario creation. What's laid out is an ideal, but there are still limits to historical creations as some countries may not have a great amount of data online even for their most recent elections, and the further back you go, the harder it gets. However, there's alot out there. When I said "Landkreis", I meant Landtag(all regions have one apart from Berlin). The scenario creation for yourself's is really whatever suits you. I'm looking forward to more council, German, British elections and Patine's Alberta 1921. Been a while since the last Canadian release.

I was going to put in previous election data for 1987 when i had the chance. I'll trasfer the map if you like.

Also, I would be interested in helping you with New South Wales Patine.

The "new map" for 1955-1970 scenarios is going to be very radical and different!

Good luck with that. I knew about how Yorkshire's boundaries were much different and had "3 ridings".

So far:

- Central London loses constituencies to become County of London

- Outer London loses constituencies and gains a few to become Middlesex

- Central England gains Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire

- Home Counties North loses the western counties and gains much of NE Greater London to become Essex

As a note on the topic of Jamaica 2007, I've just learned one of the candidates for PM in that election was publically endorsed by currently headline-hogger Christopher Coke. Do you think that'd translate to a very low Integrity?

I would presume that other candidates have also been endorsed by less-prominent drug barons; at least that's what the BBC suggested.

As a note on the topic of Jamaica 2007, I've just learned one of the candidates for PM in that election was publically endorsed by currently headline-hogger Christopher Coke. Do you think that'd translate to a very low Integrity?

One of the news reports indicated one of the more prominent MP's fathers (It may be the incumbent PM, can't quite remember) was friendly with Coke's father, also a shady character, and led the funeral procession back in the late 80's.

As for how damaging it would be, probably not very. The incumbent PM represents Tivoligardens, the neighborhood Coke's gangs are strongest in; the endorsement was probably regarded as part of normal politics.

As a note, if I feel up to a by-election, I may add the Alberta provincial by-election Calagary-Glenmore 2009, where the upstart Wildrose Alliance (a provincial alternative right-wing party) won their first seat since losing their one seat in 2008 in the Legislative Assembly over the incumbant Progressive Conservatives as well as the Liberals, NDP's, and an independent, beginining their steady rise in the polls (they now outpoll the PC's and look set to possibly win next election unless Premier Ed Stelmach moves mountains).

As a note, if I feel up to a by-election, I may add the Alberta provincial by-election Calagary-Glenmore 2009, where the upstart Wildrose Alliance (a provincial alternative right-wing party) won their first seat since losing their one seat in 2008 in the Legislative Assembly over the incumbant Progressive Conservatives as well as the Liberals, NDP's, and an independent, beginining their steady rise in the polls (they now outpoll the PC's and look set to possibly win next election unless Premier Ed Stelmach moves mountains).

Looks like a great by-election with a massive swing to Wildrose Alliance, and pretty close too. Thumbs up from me, if you wish to do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary-Glenmore

One of the news reports indicated one of the more prominent MP's fathers (It may be the incumbent PM, can't quite remember) was friendly with Coke's father, also a shady character, and led the funeral procession back in the late 80's.

As for how damaging it would be, probably not very. The incumbent PM represents Tivoligardens, the neighborhood Coke's gangs are strongest in; the endorsement was probably regarded as part of normal politics.

Do you think, then, I should even have Coke's impact on the 2007 election be represented at all, if the endorsement is just viewed as routine in Jamaica?

Looks like a great by-election with a massive swing to Wildrose Alliance, and pretty close too. Thumbs up from me, if you wish to do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary-Glenmore

Thanks! I've never before done a by-election, but I've seen yours and the one by SaskGuy. I may need help on a map, but this is likely to be a future project.

Do you think, then, I should even have Coke's impact on the 2007 election be represented at all, if the endorsement is just viewed as routine in Jamaica?

I'm no expert on Jamaican politics, but I don't think it was really a factor one way or another. I wouldn't have him as an endorser, though. I don't think it was something actively sought, just something that kind of happened.

I'm no expert on Jamaican politics, but I don't think it was really a factor one way or another. I wouldn't have him as an endorser, though. I don't think it was something actively sought, just something that kind of happened.

Agreed. You can't simply rely on one thing to another if you are getting a hard choice on some point.