270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Abe Lincoln

Congress Forever

So I figured I'd start this thread because I'd like to see how everyone else does on their first couple tries at this game. Personally I'm pretty pumped for the beta release later today and I'm sure everyone else wants to see how everyone else does as well.

Here's my first impression: ROCKS.

Remember that it's still a beta. So it's impossible to fundraise (which makes me go bankrupt quite often) and you can't enjoy election night.

But let me say this: It's tough(!) to pull off a victory with the GOP in the 2008 scenario ...

The best I got was a projected 202 seats in the House.

But the Democrats are starting with 252 (projected) seats while you're starting with 177 (projected) seats.

I bet the 2010 will be vice-versa.

Haven't really found a promising strategy by now.

Okay, I've played a second one.

I've been hitten twice for being to negative (I just had one attack theme) and three times with a scandal.

Projected seats as of Nov 4th: GOP(me) - 207 : 221 - Democrats : 7 Toss-ups.

Projection popular vote: GOP - 39,1% : 40,1%

More specific:

GOP

Safe: 152 Likely: 37 Leaning: 18

Dems

Safe: 164 Likely: 41 Leaning: 16

Toss-up: 7

I had an advantage in the toss-up districts, so that would have put me up to 209.

And than I would have just needed 9 more pick-ups form the DemLeaning area.

This election night would have been quite a nail-biter. :D

EDIT II:

Another round.

I've used the scandal research quite heavily, unfortunately I get a "access violation" 99% of the time when I'm about to leak something.

However, it worked ONCE. Man, it was nasty. :D It was a "medium damage" on national level. I kept spinning the thing for about a week and totally hammered the Democrats.

It was a bloddbath, actually.

Incumbents fell sometimes about 20% (a bit too much if you ask me).

I ended up:

GOP

Safe: 172 Likely: 36 Leaning: 8 => 216

Toss-Up: 9

DEM

Safe: 144 Likely: 51 Leaning: 9 => 210

Popular vote:

GOP

39,5%

Undecided

24%

DEM

36,5%

This would have definitely be one for me. :D

It would have been even more a bloodbath for the Democrats if all those local scandals could have been leaked (access violation).

EDIT III:

What's going on with you, guys?

I'm interested in hearing other stories.

Had to other very interesting, very different games.

And the outcome depended on the scandals, so investing the one CP into scandal research pays off very well.

The first game (me = GOP) has been a crushing defeat ... I even fell behind the starting projections, with gaining 164 seats, while Dems had projected 271 seats. They slammed me with two high-profile scandals which essentially whiped me off the table.

The other one was quite the opposite. I leaked to minor and one medium scandals on the Dems.

Managed to jump from projected 177 to projected 224 seats with the projected popular vote being 43,6% - 37,2%.

But the interesting thing is that the poll numbers for my winning candidates won't go up significantly. It's always my opponents who are experiencing sometimes a 20+% downfall.

So the undecided voters are normally around 20-30% which is a huge number.

I think you really can't be sure about the outcome until after election night.

Don't know what I did wrong but ended up with the Dems winning over 300 seats... :(

What was your strategy? Did you use scandals?

What was your strategy? Did you use scandals?

I researched scandals the entire time, from the very start, but only one finished before the end. Also my funds vanished around turn 20 without me doing anything and I was unable to fundraise anymore for some reason. However I still had more targeted regions, more ground ops, and more on my watchlist then the dems.

In 2010, I won by 1 seat, and it is a tremendous uphill battle- I spacebarred through as the dems and they won.

I tried 2008 as the GOP and got 208 seats. Not bad, eh?

I'm gonna try to do better at 2010 now.

Maybe there's a lesson in all of this -- 2010 isn't actually going to be as bad for the Democrats as it might've seemed a short time ago? Either that or this scenario is too tough on Republicans, and I know which one I'd like to think!

Maybe there's a lesson in all of this -- 2010 isn't actually going to be as bad for the Democrats as it might've seemed a short time ago? Either that or this scenario is too tough on Republicans, and I know which one I'd like to think!

A bit of both- it is really hard to win as the republicans IRL and in-game, although according to the game, if the dems sat around for the last 3 moths of the campaign and sent out no money or did anything really, they would still win 300 seats.

Some of my thoughts on the game and my tactics:

*I have only played as the Dems in both 2010 and 2008*

In 2010 I think maybe the Dems are in a bit too strong a position. In most of the games I play I enter the election with a majority predicted to be about 45 seats and end up pretty much securing the same amount of seats the Dems have now, my best result has been a net loss of 1 seat.

In 2008 it is easy to win but difficult to win big, though I am matching, at the very least, the real results of the election.

My tactics are pretty straightforward. I go for the ground game. I create crusaders, and then put every tossup/lean seat on the watchlist, as well as targetting them. Every safe seat below -/+10 gets 20k, whilst I splash out 50k immediately on all tossup/lean seats.

By the middle of October, the majority of the seats that are in play have been put on the watchlist/targetted, so starting form tossups I create footsoldiers. This is augmented by deselecting from the targetting list those seats which are now safe. (It says that this takes EP's but I'm not sure what this means as I don't see any energy bar...) In the last five days I empty my donations onto all of those races still in play.

I've also tried to run a bit of a decapitation operation like the Lib Dems tried in the UK in 2005. I target Boehner in OH, Roy Blunt in MO and Adam ??? from FL who is the GOP Conference Chair. Am yet to take any of those out yet. Have managed to knock out Michelle Bachmann though which was super satisfying.

I don't run any adverts, because this massive ground game usually just about takes up all the warchest.

Any comments on strategy?

The Senate Campaign:

As Democrats I can get 59 seats, and I can always win one of the following three: Reid in NV, Blumenthal in CT and Conlin beating Grassley in IA, but never two of them, which would give me a majority!

The Senate Campaign:

As Democrats I can get 59 seats, and I can always win one of the following three: Reid in NV, Blumenthal in CT and Conlin beating Grassley in IA, but never two of them, which would give me a majority!

I played as the GOP and managed 48 seats. I think the senate game runs well and is more realistic then the house one.

86507648.jpg

So far, this is the best I can do as the Republicans in the 2008 scenario on medium.

Maybe the NRCCC should have hired you to run their campaign in 2008.

Overall, I like the Senate scenario better.

The House scenario is very time consuming ...

I just had a complete miracle with the Senate scenario.

Republicans having 57 Senators after the election, a net-gain of 16 seats.

They got hit by a "high" damaging scandal which I kept spinning and spinning and spinning.

I even won the race in Hawaii ... knocking Inouye off with an "unkown" candidaten. :D

Lost to Murray by 1%. The only Democrats to hold on to their seats were Murray and Chuck Schumer ...

if tried serveral times now. No matter what I'm doing, it's impossible to defeat him.

EDIT:

Just did another 2010 House campaign as Republican.

Pretty unrealistic, but still.

How would you call that?

An utter nightmare for Democrats?

House2010.png

I even managed to knock off Nancy Pelosi by a razor thin margin of 1%, but still .. :D

I used everything I had against her ... pouring the maximum amount of money in, local scandals and ads ... ground soldiers, cancelling other target seats so that the crusaders would focus on her.

That's my most impressive victory thus far.

Should I apply for the NRCC chair? :D

I thought you had applied already :)

Overall, I like the Senate scenario better.

The House scenario is very time consuming ...

I just had a complete miracle with the Senate scenario.

Republicans having 57 Senators after the election, a net-gain of 16 seats.

They got hit by a "high" damaging scandal which I kept spinning and spinning and spinning.

I even won the race in Hawaii ... knocking Inouye off with an "unkown" candidaten. :D

Lost to Murray by 1%. The only Democrats to hold on to their seats were Murray and Chuck Schumer ...

if tried serveral times now. No matter what I'm doing, it's impossible to defeat him.

EDIT:

Just did another 2010 House campaign as Republican.

Pretty unrealistic, but still.

How would you call that?

An utter nightmare for Democrats?

House2010.png

I even managed to knock off Nancy Pelosi by a razor thin margin of 1%, but still .. :D

I used everything I had against her ... pouring the maximum amount of money in, local scandals and ads ... ground soldiers, cancelling other target seats so that the crusaders would focus on her.

That's my most impressive victory thus far.

Should I apply for the NRCC chair? :D